PDA

View Full Version : New Blades

Shane Watson
22nd May 2001, 10:34 PM
Ok, so with heading off to the Brisi Working with Wood Show on thursday, one thing on my shopping list is a new blade for my bandsaw. I need a good quality blade to use for rip cuts. You know cutting 50mm thick timber into 2 x 25mm pieces.

So whats your recomendations? My saw can only handle up to a 25mm blade. I don't use it very often but when I do its mostly splitting 200x50 so I need a blade that will last. Been using the standard 15mm blade since I got the thing a couple of years ago. It handles things, but not to well. Its a Scheppach Basato B-4.

Anyway, Thanks!

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

RETIRED
23rd May 2001, 12:38 AM
Gooday.

I personally use a 3/8, 3 skip tooth for everything and find that it rips better than the wider blades.

My.02c worth.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

ubeaut
23rd May 2001, 02:33 AM
For something a little different try a 3/8th 3 skip tooth blade in hobbies section. This is a much thinner section blade than the standard ones it is made for use with 3 wheeler saws.

They are razor sharp (even when blunt) and when tensioned to the sound of high C will cut paper thin slices very accurately.

For a standard section blade, as says 3/8th 3 skip. I have much, much better success with this size for ripping than the 1" and other sizes.

Have fun at the Show Shane, wish I was there. Ah Well stuff happens. Hopefully next year.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Shane Watson
23rd May 2001, 12:58 PM
Mmmmmm interesting.

I was going to get a smaller blade as well, might kill two birds, so to speak......

Would it be likly that someone would have stocks of these at the show?? Or where would be the best place to buy them?

Thanks again!

lacewood
23rd May 2001, 08:19 PM
While we are on the subject of Bandsaw blades.... Is it realy important to release the tension on the blade when the machine is not in use? I must confess to being a trifle lazy in that dept. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif

Iain
23rd May 2001, 08:58 PM
The yankee mags extoll the virtues of the Timberwolf silicon steel blades. I have not tried them but I would certainly like to if I can find them in Oz. Anyone know the agent.

John Saxton
23rd May 2001, 08:59 PM
Hi Shane,I use as wide a blade as I can accommodate on the saw with hook tooth and a medium speed on the saw and a slow feed speed not worrying too much about the finish of the cut as I run the timber thru a planer when required.
I have used both 1/2 and 1 inch blades with some success together with a high support fence in conjunction with the fence.
Suggest you talk also to the guys at the show who will give you good info to suit your needs.
Sorry Shane I had it in my mind that you were re-sawing rather than ripping so I will add further that you can use the same type of wide blade for ripping also without the need of extra fence support as was stated previously,but you can increase your feed rate similar to that of your combo machine.So you have a wide blade capable of performing a couple of functions for you but a little more costlier than a 3/8.

Have a good time at the show.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 23 May 2001).]

ptc
25th May 2001, 09:39 PM
I bought a jet blade, made by Lenox U.S.A
3/16. 4 tpi at Brisbane Woodshow .
could not get a 3/8 3tooth any where.
any body Know Where I can get one ?
Also is the one i got ok. [novice]?

------------------
p.t.c

Iain
26th May 2001, 08:25 AM
Carbatec in Melbourne get their blades made by CNS or C&S (can't remember which it is) in Mt Waverley. I have been to the factory and they have pretty much anything you want.
I would be pretty sure that Carbatec Brisbane would be able to assist.

RETIRED
26th May 2001, 09:21 AM
Gooday.

C& S Butchers saws
STEWART ROAD, MT. WAVERLEY

Phone no is 03 9802 1040.

Max is the prop and what he doesn't know about saw blades ain't worth knowing. i have been getting my B/S blades there for 20 years.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Shane Watson
27th May 2001, 03:31 PM
PTC,
If you want a 3/8th 3 skip tooth blade go to Peacock Saws in West End. I didn't find anything at the Brisi WW show, so I went and had a yarn to these guys and they had everything needed.

Cheers!