PDA

View Full Version : My Learning Curve Box!

Effigy
4th September 2006, 01:39 AM
After reading the posts here, I just had to have a go. The box is about 6"x4"x2", hinged and lined, to contain a folding pocket knife as a gift.
As always, you can read all you like about doing something, but you only get to learn by doing! And I certainly learnt a lot from even a simple box like this. I've got the bug now, and want to have a go at another:D

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/Banjobill/box5a.jpg

The box is cherry, with a thuya burr insert in the lid.

Sorry I dont have more pictures.
(Actually, I took a lot more pictures, but when I downloaded them, they were pretty awful:confused: . By this time, the box is wrapped and in the mail:o )

Wild Dingo
4th September 2006, 02:15 AM
Stunning! :cool:

That burl insert is that a veneer or a peice? anyway its a beauty!

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2006, 02:45 AM
Aye, that Thuya burl is lovely stuff and the plain, cherry sides set it off nicely.

Good first piece. :)

Effigy
4th September 2006, 03:28 AM
That burl insert is that a veneer or a peice? anyway its a beauty!

The thuya is a slice. It was slightly tapered, so I had to pack it out the one end.

I think it is a beautiful wood - it sanded to an ultra smooth surface. I wish I could have finished it with something to bring out more of the shine!

Any suggestions?

Sculptured Box
4th September 2006, 07:57 AM
Effigy

A nice looking box.

You ask about finishing - well our host knows all there is to know about finishing www.ubeaut.biz (http://www.ubeaut.biz/)

DPB
4th September 2006, 02:52 PM
Very nice result, Effigy. You are correct - box making is addictive.:)

Wardy
4th September 2006, 04:24 PM
top effort effigy , great combination of timber to. thuya burl looks stunning. :)

Carry Pine
5th September 2006, 03:55 PM
Well done Effigy. And the burl looks great. It makes my plywood and veneer tops look ordinary.
Carry Pine

AlexS
5th September 2006, 03:57 PM
Very nice, Effigy. A good simple box project that really came up well.