PDA

View Full Version : New member, new workshop, new projects!

kman-oz
4th September 2006, 11:23 AM
G'day all, I'm new to these forums and wasn't sure what section this sort of thread should belong to. Apologies if it's out of place.

Anyway, I haven't done any serious woodworking in many years, but I've been inspired to build some new furniture for my home and I'm in the process of getting setup. I've got a fair array of tools, some decent benches and a reasonable amout of space to work with, but I'm not certain exactly what techniques and tools I'll require.

My first project will be a pretty simple bed made from Messmate. 110m square section posts, steel structural work with basic recessed panels at the head and foot. I'm confident that if I plough ahead and get started I'll make plenty of mistakes, learn from them, and end up with a great result. However, money is a little tight and I can't really afford to be buggering anyting up.

When I have the time I'll post up some basic plans for this bed and ask for peoples opinions on construction, but in the mean time I'd like some advice or pearls of wisdon regarding the workshop setup.

The workshop floor space is about 4m x 8m (minus the furniture I'm storing for friends :rolleyes: ), I've got a set of shelves I've just built (2400mm x 600mm x 2 shelves) for storing materials and two working benches. My rough bench is built from recycled Oregon and isn't very flat :p , but works well enough, has a 1 tonne engineering vice and is basically indestructable! The finishing bench is made from a recycled dining table with a laminated particle board top which needs a little flattening out. Otherwise this bench is very useful with two small woodworking vices and a big hole in the centre for the circular saw come home made table saw.

Tools I have:
- Circular saw/table saw (184mm, 24-tooth and 40-tooth blades)
- Compound mitre saw (210mm, 24-tooth and 40-tooth blades)
- Basic plunge router with several general purpose router bits
- Electric plane (only for rough work)
- 13mm pedastal drill
- 2 x handheld power drills
- Electric belt sander
- Jigsaw
- 2 x angle grinders
- Basic dust extractor
- Tenon saw
- Panel saw
- Jack plane
- Basic chisels (not really much good)
- the usual array of mallets, punches, clamps, etc. A decade of handyman work makes for a pretty handy workshop! ;)

Tools I'm considering purchasing or building:
- Large sash clamps (2m)
- Biscuit joiner
- Decent chisels
- Dedicated router table (currently using an insert for the saw table, but it doesn't work very well)
- Proper fences for the router and saw tables.
- Dust cabinets for router and saw tables.

If anyone has any comments, questions, recommendations.... anything at all, I'm all ears. I'd love to hear from some people who've already learned the hard lessons and have some advice. :D

Thanks for your help and wisdon folks, I look forward to a long stay!

Dave.

Wild Dingo
4th September 2006, 01:25 PM
Rightio! first whack the benches against the walls into a corner preferably that way you get a L shaped bench... then

get the tools your considering

then...

get some more tools we will suggest

then...

get even more tools which we will also help you with

then...

well about then you will need a new additional shed :D

So what other tools? a few suggestions...

bandysaw... definantly a bandysaw even if its just a wee 14in job
better duist unit
a propa table saw
a jointer... just a wee 6in will do
a thicknesser...

oooh right I see you have both a circular/table saw combo and a panel saw :rolleyes: why you would need boat when a panel saw would do the trick is beyond me... unless you mean a hand held panel saw?

Anyways I reckon some of the others will trot along in a tick an give you more hints tips and some good oil on what to and what not to get

kman-oz
4th September 2006, 02:49 PM
G'day Dingo!

I've considered a bandsaw and thicknesser already, but I don't have any need for either with my first project. They're on my 'to-buy' list, but not for a while yet. And yes, I mean a hand panel saw.

A jointer would be extremely handy I agree, though I'm not sure it will do a lot for me at this stage that I can't do with a decent router table. At least for this project anyway. (*Adds jointer to 'to-buy' list*)

Dave.

MurrayD99
4th September 2006, 03:22 PM
G'day Dingo!

I've considered a bandsaw and thicknesser already, but I don't have any need for either with my first project. They're on my 'to-buy' list, but not for a while yet. And yes, I mean a hand panel saw.

A jointer would be extremely handy I agree, though I'm not sure it will do a lot for me at this stage that I can't do with a decent router table. At least for this project anyway. (*Adds jointer to 'to-buy' list*)

Dave.

A Carbatec catalogue is a very mind-expanding asset..... Welcome.:)

kman-oz
4th September 2006, 04:17 PM
A Carbatec catalogue is a very mind-expanding asset..... Welcome.:)

Providing I have the appropriate credit card limit presumably :D

While I'm here does anyone have any advice regarding the construction of some sash clamps? I've seen that Record make some clamp heads designed to work with a length of 35mm timber and I wouldn't mind making something similar with some scrap steel I have laying around.

EDIT: I think I'll open a new thread in the tools section for that.

Thanks people.

Dave.

Bob38S
5th September 2006, 02:30 PM
G'day and welcome aboard.
You'll enjoy the forum, get great help, laugh a lot, get timely reminders re safety, see great work - there are still many skilful people around - none of this staple together chipboard, mass produced rubbish - and you'll have the chance/opportunity to help others.
It's a great place to be - I hope you have plenty of internet time as it can be addictive.
Bob

:D:):D

kman-oz
5th September 2006, 03:01 PM
I'm a member of various forums, I'm a VB junky :)

Thanks for the welcome, Bob!

Wood Butcher
5th September 2006, 03:33 PM
While I'm here does anyone have any advice regarding the construction of some sash clamps? I've seen that Record make some clamp heads designed to work with a length of 35mm timber and I wouldn't mind making something similar with some scrap steel I have laying around.

EDIT: I think I'll open a new thread in the tools section for that.

Thanks people.

Dave.

Dave, Welcome and hope you stick around

With the clamps,
The Australian Woodworker March/April '90 ran an article on making your own sash clamps. I could try and scan a copy for you, but probably won't be till the weekend when I could get round to it.

kman-oz
5th September 2006, 03:40 PM
You're a super star Rowan, I'd really appreciate it. No rush, I've still got a couple of weeks to finalise the workshop before I start gathering materials and building.

The bed is the beginning of a long list of furniture my wife wants for the house. I'm sure I'll be around for a while yet ;)

Jedo_03
5th September 2006, 09:07 PM
Hi kman
welcome to the best ww forum on the www
hmm router fences. . .
go to the woodworking channel and watch the two router geniuses (or should that be genii. . ?) and have a look at their fences
very effective
very cheap
BTW - I'm looking at making a bed, so looking forward to your plans and strategies...
Cheers
Jedo

Honorary Bloke
6th September 2006, 08:03 AM
Welcome Kman to the friendliest WW forum around. After all, they let ME in.:rolleyes:

Sash clamps, quick clamps, cabinet clamps, pipe clamps, spring clamps, and more clamps. The more clamps you have the more you need.

Good advice from others on additional tools. When you get your shed set up, post a piccy or two. Watch the Festool Forum for new Dominators selling off their biscuit joiners cheapo.;) Might get a real deal.

Did I mention you should get some additional clamps?:D Oh yeah, and the ultimate clamp--a Triton Superjaws.

keith53
6th September 2006, 08:55 AM
G'day Dingo!

Dave.

Maaate, After you've been here for a while, you'll find that you don't need to have a need for a tool or tools to justify their purchase. Its all about building up a nice collection and having a suitable shed to store them in. :D Once you get to use them a bit, you can rabbit on about the virtues or otherwise of a particular tool like the rest of us. :D

Need??? Wash your mouth out.

Welcome, by the way.

kman-oz
7th September 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the warm welcomes folks. I can see I'm gonna fit it well around here, I hardly ever need to justify a tool purchase :) . Unfortunately for me I'm not the one controlling the budget :( .

Wish you'd posted up earlier Bob, I went and bought a biscuit joiner on Tuesday. I've started work on my dedicated router table (rather than shared with the saw) using some recycled KD boards for the top and the cheapest panel clamps ever made! :p One peice of 35x70mm pine ($1.99), sixe nut/bolts/washer combos ($6.84)... that's it! I'll post some pics when I get home.

Dave.