PDA

View Full Version : My first real works

Rookie
4th September 2006, 12:22 PM
Just finished a set of shelves that my wife wanted to display things in the living room. It's my first real piece of furniture.

I used KD hardwood with a Jarrah stain. and Silver Ash veneer inserts. The reason I used the KD with a stain is that I didn't want to muck up expensive wood with my first attempt. It was really an exercize to see if I could make clean joints, and try out other skills I have read about here for so long, and to test my design skills. :rolleyes:

I wanted an open design as it is in a fairly dark corner of the living room so I didn't want enclosed sides. The side frames are all bridle joints and the shelves are resting on the aluminium tubing which I also used for side supports if she wants to stack CD's or DVD's in it.

All in all, it came out okay and I was quite happy with it. The dark corner is welcome as it covers up a whole lot of errors such as the bridle joints not being as neat as I would have liked and the edges of the inserts slighty out of whack in a couple of places. More practice needed with the Triton biscuit attachment I'm afraid.

Good lessons for the coffee table that's next on the list. It will be jarrah edging around the silver ash veneer, and either silver ash or a like coloured timber for the legs , aprons and drawer for the remote controls.

That will be a little more of a challenge. It will be in the centre of the room. :o

The bowl on the shelves is my first bowl from woodturning class a couple of weeks ago.

Don't know why I waited 52 years to get into this wonderful hobby.

Wild Dingo
4th September 2006, 01:04 PM
Nice one! well nice two actually John and aside from the great bowl (maybe I need lessons eh?) that insert really seems to finish it of real well :cool:

Took you so long cause you were doin other things mate... no worries your here now so good on yer and welcome! :cool:

TTIT
4th September 2006, 01:15 PM
The shelves look great Rookie :D How are the shelves attached to the sides ???

Wood Borer
4th September 2006, 02:00 PM
Don't know why I waited 52 years to get into this wonderful hobby.

Better late than never and I am sure you will make up for lost time.;)

I like the bookcase and bowl.

Flowboy
4th September 2006, 02:19 PM
Hi Wood borer,

Both pieces look great. I don't turn wood, but the bowl looks good and I really like the bookshelf, you shouldn't have worried about your abilities, looks better than my stuff.

BTW: Woodwork isn't a hobby... Fascination, calling, obsession and the way to truth and enlightenment (?Zenwood) yes, but a hobby, no.

Regards,

Rob
Englidh is Optional

Rookie
4th September 2006, 02:36 PM
The shelves look great Rookie :D How are the shelves attached to the sides ???

Shelves are actually not attached. I channeled out along the ends and they sit on the aluminium tube. I was going to epoxy them in for strength but it looks like I don't need it. We'll see what happens when she puts more weight on the shelves.

It's not apparent in the other pictures, but the sides are held together by rails along the front and back at the base, with a rear rail under the second shelf at the back. The rails are all attached to the ends with M&T's. I was worried about that actually because the mortises are only about 15mm deep, but I gave them plenty of width and the glue joints seem to be strong enough.

Doughboy
4th September 2006, 02:39 PM
Congrats on the bowl looks awesome.... the book shelf looks to me as though it is doweled? Could I be correct... I wonder.

Well done
Pete

Rookie
4th September 2006, 03:03 PM
No dowells in the bookcase Pete. Just biscuits around the veneer inserts and M&T's to hold the rails on.

TTIT
4th September 2006, 03:20 PM
It's not apparent in the other pictures, but the sides are held together by rails along the front and back at the base, with a rear rail under the second shelf at the back. The rails are all attached to the ends with M&T's.

Ah ha! Clever camera angle too!:) Gives it a very clean 'light' look.:D Hope the M&T's hold for you - I plan on doing some similar stuff "soon".:o

TK1
4th September 2006, 04:10 PM
Hi Rookie,

Great stuff! Can I ask where you got the plans, or did you design them yourself? Look great.

Now you just need to turn a few more bowls so the missus can't fit any of her stuff on there ;)

Enjoy your new-found passion!

Regards,
Darren

Wood Borer
4th September 2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Wood borer,

Both pieces look great...........

Flowboy, I think you have mistakingly thought these two wonderful projects were made by me - they were made by Rookie.

Woodwork is a passion for me but at the moment I can only really do it on the weekends - that is about to all change :) :) :)

Rookie
5th September 2006, 02:42 PM
Can I ask where you got the plans, or did you design them yourself?

All came out of my head Darren. Just a few chook scratchings on some paper to get the measurements right.

I think if I had a second chance I'd drop the height a bit back down towards the top shelf. Goes up a bit high in relation to the shelf for my liking.

Never mind.

Flowboy
5th September 2006, 05:33 PM
D'Oh,

Sorry Rookie, sorry Wood borer.

Regards

An embarrassed Rob

Auld Bassoon
5th September 2006, 07:06 PM
Looks good John!

Al B
5th September 2006, 10:42 PM
Lovely work John well done.

TK1
5th September 2006, 10:57 PM
All came out of my head Darren. Just a few chook scratchings on some paper to get the measurements right.

I think if I had a second chance I'd drop the height a bit back down towards the top shelf. Goes up a bit high in relation to the shelf for my liking.

Never mind.

Well done on the design and the building! Looks good...and we always find fault with our own creations, even if others are blown away.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Regards,
Darren