PDA

View Full Version : Which Bandsaw to buy ?

Kerry Blue
13th June 2001, 03:11 PM
My home workshop is complete except for a bandsaw. After 20 years woodworking I've decided I can't do without one any longer! With a budget of around $1500-$2000 I'd like some recommendations from other bandsaw owners on which models perform well and are adequately supported by their manufacturers in terms of spares/ service etc. I could also do with some suggestions for relevant reading/ websites prior to bringing a bandsaw home. Since I'm in Bendigo Vic any local info on bandsaw classes etc would be appreciated.

Shane Watson
13th June 2001, 03:43 PM
Scheppach Basato. German, italian, somthing like that. Beast of a machine. Good table and excellent fence system out of the box. Will also handle larger timber of saws of similar size due to construction - The top half goes back to the main upright parralell to the table instead of at a down angle common to bandsaws.

Cheers.

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

John Saxton
14th June 2001, 05:35 PM
Hi Keith,Im surprised you have lasted this long without a bandsaw.
May I suggest you do a search thru these forums to see what other feedback is out there.
I myself have an 18" jet model that caters for all my needs and is within the price range that you quoted.True alignment,good tracking,ease of blade change,sufficient power in single phase,large enough cast iron table for the home shop,and with sufficient weight that it dosen't jump around or have undue vibration.
Just a few points.
Good luck with your queries.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Iain
15th June 2001, 09:23 PM
Just got my alltools catalogue today and Durden have a 15" wheel bandsaw with a 190mm depth of cut. $1550.00
Someone else may know what Durden saws are like, I have no idea but I believe the rest of their gear is good. Two year warranty and all the other good gear. May be a touch better than my Record three wheeler http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/tongue.gif
Don't know if alltools are in Bendigo but they are in Albury and all around Melbourne.
Don't know if this is a good price or not.

Woodchuck2
16th June 2001, 12:48 PM
Hi Kerry,
I shopped around for quite a while looking for a "solid" bandsaw and finished up with an 18" Jet which I have been very satisfied with. I think it just sneaked in under the two grand mark.
Cheers
Woodchuck

Kerry Blue
18th June 2001, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Off to Melbourne on Thursday to look around and will keep you posted on my final choice of bandsaw!

Kerry Blue
4th July 2001, 05:31 PM
Came across a 2nd hand Delta that came in well under budget and will meet my needs for a while. Left me some coins for some new books, sanding drums etc etc. Very happy gal! Saw is due to arrive Friday this week and I've cleaned up the shed (actually it's a 10 square warehouse in the backyard) in readiness. Anyone available to give lessons??

Iain
4th July 2001, 06:57 PM
Careful with the sanding drums, they get stuck in the guides http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------
Measure twice, and it's still wrong..