PDA

View Full Version : blocks

Ivor
16th June 2001, 10:21 AM
I saw a discussion topic on cool blocks here recently. But I would like to know what other people use for blocks.

I bought a bandsaw about a year ago and the blocks that came with it have worn out and it is time to replace them. I have not idea what they were made out of but they were a type of black plastic, could they be cool blocks?

I have heard of people using apple or orange wood because it has a low oil content. I am fairly slack and would like to buy some blocks of the shelf. Anyone know any good sources?

Ivor

Iain
16th June 2001, 10:54 AM
I made some enquiries and found that bakelite is still available from any plastics supplier, check your yellow pages on line. I use redgum at the momemt and I think may too. He told me what he used last week and I have since forgotten. Lignum Vitae is another good material and available from your local bowling club when the bowler are not looking http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/tongue.gif

Neil
16th June 2001, 11:12 AM
Don't look for Lignum Vitae at the bowling club. It hasn't been uses in bolws for at least 60 years probably closer to 80.

RETIRED
16th June 2001, 01:29 PM
Gooday.

I used Red Gum as Iain said in my old saw that had blocks.

In my old saw that I still use I made a bearing carrier that works really well.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Iain
16th June 2001, 01:50 PM
I was looking at a US forum on the same subject and they bagged bearings something fierce. I am looking for it now as I cannot recall what they thought the problem was. I thought it would have to be an improvement.
Neil, lignum vitae, there wood (?) have to be some old hand me downs out there at the bowling clubs still, and, how do you tell the difference between lignum vitae and composite bowls. To me they all look alike?

JackoH
16th June 2001, 04:18 PM
I bought a 14" bandsaw from Carbatec about 4 years ago. Made in Taiwan, for about $600. It came with so called "cool blocks" made of some sort of high density plastic. Apart from the odd new blade,it has'nt missed a beat. The blocks are still as good as new.
The saw,(and blocks available separately $49) are on p.21 of Carbatecs current cattledog.
Obviously being just a hobbyist my machinery would not work the hours, or as hard as Robbos and other Professionals but it does all I want of it. Incidentally I never slacken off the blade between uses, and I have yet to break one. Hidden nails are my biggest bugbear.
John H.

Iain
16th June 2001, 04:38 PM
I believe the cool blocks are bakelite and can be purchased for about $25 per metre in 3/8" square. John, what you need is one of those little u beaut stud finder/voltage detector/metal detector thingo's for about $40 from Jaycar in Ringwood. Three blades would pay for it

RETIRED
16th June 2001, 07:17 PM
Gooday.

Was it dead wood? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

I have replaced the Bearings 3 times in 15 years.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Iain
17th June 2001, 09:28 PM
Ironbark, silver birch, LEADGUM http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/tongue.gif

Glen Bridger
25th July 2001, 11:55 PM
If the blocks are made of plastic they maybe be made of DELRIN. Its a very tough machinable plastic.
If you decide to make blocks of Phenolic Resin (bakelite) be aware that when cutting, filing or drilling the stuff it gives off toxic fumes and the saw dust is carcinogenic.

Glen

AlexS
28th July 2001, 06:33 PM
I bought some Delrin blocks from Academy Saws in Sydney (I think) several years ago & they certainly improve the running. I think the material for 'cool blocks' would be delrin, not bakelite.

Ivor
30th July 2001, 10:10 AM
Thanks to all for all the info. I have got hold of some delrin and bakelite 12mm square section by a metre long for about $15, including postage, each from a couple of plastics distributors in Newcastle and Sydney. Given the advice of Glen about the carcinogenic stuff I think I will be using the delrin. Can any body suggest what to do with a metre of bakelite?

Ivor