PDA

View Full Version : Help and information wanted

Roly
20th September 2001, 12:07 PM
I am in the market for a bandsaw and don't paticularly care whether I buy new or used. The same as everybody else I am a bit dollar challenged so of course I'm looking for the best value. Up to now I have only looked at the JET and Elektra Beckum brand saws. I know very little about the quality of either so any information will be much appreciated. Can anyone tell me which is best or what are the alternatives please.
I am in the Canberra area and am involved in home handyman woodworking which will involve medium capacity cutting. I will be doing a little blank cutting for the lathe and a little resawing of some river redgum that I managed to get a hold of some time ago.

Thanks in anticipation

Roly

Roly
24th September 2001, 08:11 PM
Doorstop,

Thank you very much for the information. I had a look at the Beckum at the Canberra Working with wood show which incidentally did quite impress me. I wasn't sure about the saw but the frame looked a mite under robust. It seemed to depend on the plate steel to give it rigidity. I did see some nice saws in the Jet range and unless I can pick one up second hand I will be going for something like that I believe.
I'll keep you informed if I find out more information

Roly

ptc
24th September 2001, 09:34 PM
I have a Hare & Forbes, Made in China I think
It does what i want for Turning Blanks,
But Dont overload it or you will burn the motor out [no overload protection]i did.
i could not see the other side of the work shop for smoke,luckily it still works but am saving up for another motor as the present one get as bit hot!The scret is the right blade for the job.

ubeaut
24th September 2001, 11:56 PM
PTC - May not be totally the fault of the motor. Most of these things that come from over there have a starter capacitor that is rated for about 1 or 2 starts per hour or at least mine did. A new heavy duty capacitor fixed the problem instantly and I have never had another problem in the more than 17 years I have had it.

Seems that when put under a load they throw back onto the capacitor and that is what causes the problem. Or something like that. I'm net very electrically minded but that was kinda the way it was explained to me. Band saws and drill presses seem to be the worst affected with this problem.

Roly - Can't agree more with Doorstop. Buy one with a cast iron table and not plate steel.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif