PDA

View Full Version : Domino wins again!

Flowboy
6th September 2006, 06:19 AM
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I sold my first commissioned item, a simple 1 metre x 0.6 metre Jarrah coffee table (Woo-Hoo). It took me 1 day to make. I had the top two boards jointed and the legs and rails cut and ready for glue up in under 1 and 1/2 hours, due to the fact that I used dominos exclusively. The top is a brilliant join and the frame is rock solid. I used dowels to hold the top to the legs, but in future will use dominos there as well, due to the superior contol you have over depth of cut. The finishing took the rest of the day, but I look at that as basket weaving. (Occupational Therapy). Anyway it looked great and the customer was very happy.

Regards and a happy camper,

Rob

Honorary Bloke
6th September 2006, 07:47 AM
Good on 'ya! ;) If I can ever get my hands on one of those Dominators . . . well, anyway. Congratulations on your first commission. I know it won't be the last. If the customer is happy, everybody is happy. :D

nt900
6th September 2006, 09:33 AM
First commission - Well bloody done!!!!:)

Except for that dowel bit. :p

Rocker
6th September 2006, 12:12 PM
I was wondering about the dowel bit too. The usual way of attaching a table top is to use wooden buttons or metal clips that engage with a groove near the top of the aprons. This method can accommodate seasonal movement in the top. It seems to me that dowels into the top of the legs could cause the top to split, if it shrank. Or have I misunderstood what you did?

Anthony,

Did you get my e-mail?

Rocker

Flowboy
6th September 2006, 01:24 PM
Hi Rocker,

No misunderstanding, just the way I attach small table tops to the legs. There is sufficient play around the dowel in the table top for some movement. In addition they are not glued in, so as to make moving the table easier. I've done this several times before especially with Jarrah and had no problems even after a year plus in place.:) Larger tables are a different story altogether and I certainly wouldn't do this in Boston:eek: .

Regards,

Rob

thetassiebfg
6th September 2006, 01:36 PM
Congrats Flowboy

heres to many more where that came from..

Any pics?

Rocker
6th September 2006, 01:36 PM
Rob,

Play in the dowel holes and no glue sounds as though it would be OK, but table clips like these: http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/general-cabinet-fittings-418_0.aspx are easy to fit and probably less trouble than dowels, and they give you the advantage of being able to pick up the table in one piece.

Rocker

Flowboy
6th September 2006, 02:14 PM
Hi Rocker,

Thanks for the link. What you have said is a good call. Looks more "professional" too!
Thought I'd add a pic of my inFESTation, under the watchful eye of the Makita LS1214.
If I see another Systainer, I think I'll scream, or make a tool shed.
And please note the significantly reduced red dust levels!

Regards and HoHo,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
6th September 2006, 07:38 PM
Well done Rob!

It's always nice to get one's first commission, and to have it made easy by a lady too! :eek: well!

I hope that you did well out of the job - to help pay for her highness :D

I've finished the server (part 1 of three items of the current commission) and have jointed and glued up the top for the buffet (using? Ahem! What else?), this will need to cure and over the weekend I'll plane it smooth.

BTW, late this afternoon I was taking some shavings from a Blackwood board's edge, first with a LV #jointer, then a LN #4 bronze smoother and lastly with my shop-made Spiers replica. The best settings on each resulted in approx 3.5 thousandths, 2 thou and 0.5 ~ 1.0 thou respectively according to my digital vernier gauge :) :) :)

Wongo
6th September 2006, 11:57 PM
Way to go flowboy. Let someone else pay for your toy. My neighbour has just ordered a dining table from me (after seeing mine of course).

I can’t tell you have much but it will pretty much pay for my Tormek. Now I just need a couple more orders so I can buy a ‘you know what’.:cool:

Lignum
7th September 2006, 12:23 AM
Rob,

Play in the dowel holes and no glue sounds as though it would be OK, but table clips like these: http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/general-cabinet-fittings-418_0.aspx are easy to fit and probably less trouble than dowels, and they give you the advantage of being able to pick up the table in one piece.

Rocker

And use Domi with the 5mm cutter for the slots or the 10mm for custom made wooden ones (which i like) :)

Flowboy
7th September 2006, 06:31 AM
Hi Lignum,

I agree with you on both counts. I was just being my conservative self. Use of the Domino jointing system makes perfect sense and using the same stock for the dominos themselves must reduce the danger of differential seasonal movement.

Regards

Rob

Lignum
7th September 2006, 08:45 AM
Rob i wasnt refering to using the same stock for making your own Dominos, but using the 10mm cutter on the side rail for the slots to make your own buttons if you dont want to use the steel clips:D

nt900
7th September 2006, 09:09 AM
Morning Lignum,

In that last image, how many domino joints compared to non-domino joints?

Flowboy
7th September 2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks Lignum, mi comprende!! Good call.

Regards

Rob

Lignum
7th September 2006, 09:51 AM
Morning Lignum,

In that last image, how many domino joints compared to non-domino joints?

Geeze Anthony, what you talkin bout "non-domino-joins":confused: :confused: What are they:confused: :confused: This is a 100% Dominoed baby:D :D :D

nt900
7th September 2006, 10:03 AM
Now that's DOMINATED!!! :)

Shame on me for thinking you would be less than dominating. :o

You seem to be using the first (tightest) setting for all the mortises then?

Lignum
7th September 2006, 10:36 AM
I use the tightest setting on one side and glue in all the dominos (as shown in the pic) then the opposing mortice (unless its a location mortice) is plunged on the second setting. Makes glue up a breeeeeeeeeze.

In all my time woodworking i have never enjoyed glue-ups until now. Its such a buzz to glue-up a whole piece in one go and have it so square you dont even need to check it, that alone is worth the price of the Dominatrix:D