PDA

View Full Version : Disaster Strikes!!

cypher
6th September 2006, 02:28 PM
Lessons learned the hard way!!! :cry:
I was turning my newest segment vessel and had it nearly complete. I decided I needed to sand the inside better since I had created some rough patches with my hollow master. My dilemma was that I did not have a good way to do it. Therefore, I improvised. I took a little dowel I had and taped on a piece of sand paper and proceeded to sand the inside. That is when it happened . . . the dowel slipped out of my hand and shattered the top 2 layers off my piece. I was a little upset but I decide I could fix it. I remade the top two rings and while they were drying, I thinned out the walls a little more and sanded them down. Unfortunately, I thinned them a little too much and the entire vessel shattered apart. So, after 20 hours of work and 145 separate pieces cut and glued I ended up with an nice pile of rubble.
Below is what it looked like before it blew up. Inspired by Curt Theobald’s Blood Brothers
http://www.curttheobald.com/photos/BloodBrothersLg.jpg
Attached is what it did look like and what is left of it now.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to CORRECTLY sand the inside of a hollow form??

lubbing5cherubs
6th September 2006, 02:48 PM
Oh Mate I am so sorry that would be devastating. Your design was gorgeous
bye Toni

ss_11000
6th September 2006, 04:50 PM
that is shocking. can you save the bottom peice?

Christopha
6th September 2006, 04:55 PM
look on the bright side..... being of dissimilar timbers it prbably would have come apart on its' own eventually.... :(
Oh, and "BUGGER!" just the same!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2006, 07:11 PM
Invent any new words? :eek:

AFAIK, there's no truly "safe" way to sand inside a closed hollow-form. I cheat and finish the bottom as best I can off the tool, then only sand inside the lip as far as I can reach with my finger. :o

When it comes time to finish, I'll complete the outside then unmount it and pour some oil (or Rustin's Plastic Finish) inside the form, spin it by hand for even coverage then let it sit, with about 1/2 tsp excess oil in the base. Every 15 mins or so, I'll give it a "swirl" to spread it about a bit more until it's all gone. More frequently for Rustin's. This tends to "gloss over" the rough spots (if any) and it's hard to pick through a narrow neck. Wouldn't enter a vessel done this way in a comp, though.

I know 'tis a cheat, but it works for me. [shrug] I'm interested to see how others approach the same problem.

Hickory
7th September 2006, 04:13 AM
Nice Ashtray Mate..... I too feel remorse for your plight but, alas, we all must have an ample supply of unique ashtrays. Were we not to make so many, where would the challenge be? Thanks for the posting and the reminder that I am not the only creator of one-of-a-kind wooden puzzles.

OGYT
7th September 2006, 01:18 PM
Cypher, I use a number of things to sand the inside of a hollow form. Mainly, dowel rods that are at least a foot longer than the form, so I can have a good hold on it. :D Sorry, couldn't resist. I do understand how you feel... I've broken a couple myself.
I wrap a couple of strips of leather over the end, and tape it down. Then I wrap sandpaper over the end and around the stick, and use that to sand.;)
Another thing I have is a large pair of forceps.. (about a foot long) that has an oval opening on the end. I lock this onto a corner of a piece of paper, and wrap the paper around the forceps (gotta wrap it the right direction, too). I tape over the finger holes in the handle, because I don't want to inadvertantly get my finger in there while it's spinning.:eek:
Now. By far the best way to smooth the inside that I've ever seen in action, is an electric motor rigged with belts and pulleys, turning a shaft that has threads for the chuck. Get the the revs down to 35-45 rpm, then the finished hollowform is mounted in the chuck, and a handful of sharp rocks are placed inside. The motor is turned on and left on, overnight. The rocks tumble the inside smooth as silk.
I don't have one yet, but it's on the agenda. The man who hosted the Georgia Wood Central Symposium had one in use. It's a little noisy, but it works. Saves a lot of stress trying to sand the inside.
Hope this all helps a little.

hughie
7th September 2006, 01:51 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to CORRECTLY sand the inside of a hollow form

Eric,
Dunno what is the correct method, but this is what I do and get away with.:confused:

I cut on the band saw a sanding stick to what ever shape that will get around on the inside of the bowl/vessel. To it I stick a layer of dense foam rubber about 1/4'' thick, wrapping around the end as well. Then glue a piece of velcro stuff to it. Then cut my cloth backed sandpaper and stick it...viola a inside sanding stick. :D

For really deep narrow vessels the ones you cant see much or get your finger in side to far. I just sand around where the finger can reach and do the bottom or visual area with an extension on my power sander.

If this is as clear as mud let me know and I will get some pics up :confused: :confused:

Al, Hmmm never thought of that. even though I have done my share using the pebble rumbler to smooth rocks etc, food for though, ta for that