PDA

View Full Version : Secondhand lathes

brax
27th October 2002, 02:36 PM
Hi
I'm looking out for a secondhand lathe. I am a beginner but would still like to purchase a quality product. My budget (for lathe only) would be around $600 - $1000. You may also be able to indicate particular areas (of wear)to watch out for.

Thanks for your help
Brax

Kev Y.
28th October 2002, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the Group Brax.

Do you really want a second hand lathe for that price?? I heard on the radio that Total Tools have a wood lathe on sale at the moment for around $400 (I think). maybe you should give them a go.

I can not remember IF there is a store in Bendigo or not.

From my point of view, the only things I would be looking out for is, strenght of the head and tail-stock.

My current lathe (only in use now until FRIDAY!!!) is one of the cheap no-name chineese types, the head-stock assembly is made out of 3mm plate, and BOLTED!! to the pressed metal lathe bed. I find that every time I apply some pressure to the work-piece using the TAIL-STOCK, the head end is pushed back and up, giving me a work-piece that may be horizontally OK, but of center in the vertical axis.

Also check that the head and tail-stocks line up and meet in the correct position. Run the tail stock with the center in place up the the head-stock with the spur drive or some other center in place, and make sure that both points meet.

Kev.

[This message has been edited by Brudda (edited 28 October 2002).]

fxst
28th October 2002, 06:21 PM
but Brudda for $1K u could get a good second hand machine and mybe a couple extras if its a gettin out of it due to ......<put reason in> ........type of sale
Pete

DarrylF
28th October 2002, 08:52 PM
For my money, make sure the lathe is one you'd still buy if it was brand new - cast bed (that's straight), big enough motor, beefy headstock etc - and hopefully a major/quality brand. All I found was old, poor quality rubbish.

For $1,000 you can buy a brand new Chinese lathe, a decent Vicmarc or Nova chuck, and a quality set of tools. I just went through the exercise myself, picked up my new lathe on Saturday and I'm happy as Larry with it. I spent $1300 all up, but also bought a quality 8" bench grinder and extra wheel($220), a Vicmarc VM120 chuck and 6 of the best chisels I could find. I could have bought the lathe, a different chuck and a reasonable set of Chinese HSS chisels and spent around $800.

Good luck - I'm certainly enjoying my new toy http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Tristan Croll
1st November 2002, 09:06 AM
Thank you Kev - you've helped me make up my mind. I've pretty much decided to go for the slightly more beefy $500 model from Total Tools - the extra weight in the frame and swing over the bed seems worth it. I figure I can always load the tool tray up with bricks for that extra bit of stability. Should allow me to do justice to that large pile of redgum... after I finish the bookshelves, and turn up some tool handles.

DarrylF
2nd November 2002, 08:43 AM
Good decision I think Tristan - I bought the smaller Total Tools lathe and I'm very happy with it. Went for the smaller one because length wasn't an issue with me (don't like spindle turnings), and I wanted to save space - and this thing's still 85 kilos, so plenty heavy enough for me http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Time to go make some round things.

soundman
2nd November 2002, 10:02 PM
krikey for that sort of money you could employ a team of archieologists to resurect the big blue lathe.

JackoH
3rd November 2002, 09:40 AM
Please! Don't start that again!
Regards John H.
(BBBL. R.I.P.)

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 03 November 2002).]