PDA

View Full Version : What wood is this

macca2
7th September 2006, 11:04 AM
This is a bowl I turned from a chunk of tree I picked up from the verge green waste pickup.
Can anyone identify it please.
It had a rough lightish brown bark.
thanks
macca

brind0g
7th September 2006, 11:22 AM
The pictures are too blurry sorry mate.. cant even see the grain detail... :confused: Maybe red ironbark?

tashammer
8th September 2006, 02:39 AM
measure the distance btween camera and knob, cos that is really in focus and then mark a circle on carpet with paint(evil, aint i) then retake pics. Is that a bit of spalting in the third pic?

macca2
8th September 2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I don't think it is spalting but the colour in the wood.

It is a crappy 2mp camera but I have tried again. With the prices coming down all the time I think I might invest in something a little better so I can get closer shots.

macca

Anaconda
8th September 2006, 06:16 PM
Hey Macca,
I'm knew to the forum so firstly hello. As for your piece, I had a hunk of what I think was gum tree that ended up similar to that in grain and colour. cyalata

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th September 2006, 08:22 PM
The grain and colour suggests River Red-gum, 'cept that tends to be riddled with resinous inclusions.

Roly
10th September 2006, 10:46 AM
Looks a bit like the Yellow Box I have been turning here.

Roly

Toymaker Len
10th September 2006, 11:01 PM
Looks a lot like NSW Christmas Bush, same shading and little black bits, brownish bark, fine grain. Just a guess.

soundman
10th September 2006, 11:18 PM
Looks eucalipt ish.
probbaly... Eucaliptus. maccafoundei. sub sp, roadsidei.:D

Toasty
10th September 2006, 11:41 PM
Only cause I saw some at the Working With Wood show today, I am chucking in Myrtle as my thoughts...

tashammer
11th September 2006, 11:51 AM
it do look indeed look like myrtle Toasty don't it.

Did it have a kind of acrid small when you was turning it then , Macca2?

macca2
11th September 2006, 01:43 PM
A couple of pics of an offcut of the same piece of wood.
Not the best colour but best I can do with this camera.
Tas...no particular smell when turning.
Easy to turn and has blackish smudge marks thru it, with a grain similar to Sheoak but not the same colour.

Thanks for your replies
macca

Bleedin Thumb
11th September 2006, 02:15 PM
Hey Macca,
I'm knew to the forum so firstly hello. As for your piece, I had a hunk of what I think was gum tree that ended up similar to that in grain and colour. cyalata

Hi Macca I'm with Anaconda probably gum tree:D
If not Eucalyptus cyalata could be Eucalyptus noefenclu.:D :D

Tornatus
11th September 2006, 10:29 PM
G'day Macca

If you weren't in WA, I would have said Sydney Blue Gum ... except the bark isn't right, anyhow.

So it has to be Beenah!

hughie
12th September 2006, 10:27 AM
A couple of pics of an offcut of the same piece of wood.

Macca,

Dontcha just hate it when this happens :D I have mate who likes to drop off what he finds and some of it is great looking timber...no idea what it is though :confused: and of course every body asks what is it :o

It looks a bit like some of the stuff I have in my stack so I will be glad when..if.. you find out what it is.

rowie
17th September 2006, 10:15 PM
on close inspection it has medular rays, as Macca says "looks like sheok".
Definately a casuarina or banksia.