PDA

View Full Version : mango platter

paul collins
7th September 2006, 12:33 PM
just thought i would like to share this beautiful piece of mango with you all.pity the turning isnt up to what it deserves.come to think of it photography is not my forte either.

Cliff Rogers
7th September 2006, 12:52 PM
Interesting piece, what dimensions & what finish?

OGYT
7th September 2006, 01:23 PM
Paul, nice piece of work. Never heard of Mango wood... but now that I think of it, I guess that's what Mango Trees are made of, eh?
It sure has some awesome grain. I like the rim treatment, too.
I'm kinda curious, like Cliff, about the size and finish.
Thanks for posting.

hughie
7th September 2006, 01:28 PM
Interesting piece, what dimensions & what finish?

me too! interesting grain, hmmm must have a go at it one of these days.

OGYT
7th September 2006, 01:37 PM
Hughie, got your message... Like the tool end idea. Also the Google Earth.
I've been having trouble getting logged on and then staying logged on to this forum. What's up? Anybody else having the same problem?
'Nother dumb yank question: Can one eat Mangoes and turnwood at the same time?

paul collins
7th September 2006, 01:51 PM
sorry all i meant to put the dimensions & finish on.ok finish was eee ultrashine followed by 3 coats of shellawax (of course).330 mm x 30mm. was a bit soft in places similar to what yoiu get with spalted wood.but the grain is great.lucky to have the rest of the slab i got,to play around with.

hughie
7th September 2006, 02:13 PM
sorry all i meant to put the dimensions & finish on.ok finish was eee ultrashine followed by 3 coats of shellawax (of course).330 mm x 30mm. was a bit soft in places similar to what yoiu get with spalted wood.but the grain is great.lucky to have the rest of the slab i got,to

Paul, Nice, very nice, good size as well.I find three coats ok less than that is not so satisfactory, much more durable

Al, yeah I have had some probs myself. I logon ok but when it come times to reply to a message I get sent back to the logon page again, round and round I go. Then next time tis fine no probs :confused:

Did a heavy clean out for trojans etc and a full scan for the usual viral stuff and it seems to have settled down.:confused: :D

Tool idea no worries, just give me a couple weeks to sort it out and I will have it ready. Will leave un-handled to keep the postage down.

mangos, food of the gods....yay! dunno bout eatin 'n turnin same time, rather sit down an enjoy the mango on its own

Terry B
7th September 2006, 03:45 PM
Except for the day of the outage I have not ever been logged out accidentally. Not sure what the reason for it would be. I use IE at work and Mozilla at home and both seem OK.

Wild Dingo
7th September 2006, 04:35 PM
Paul... beautiful timber and a great job! Well done! :cool:

Al... you can but I wouldnt messy things mangos cant imagine tryin to eat one while tryin to turn a peice of wood! :eek: mangos NEED two hands theyre slippery buggars :D

Touchwood
7th September 2006, 10:09 PM
Lovely wood, I would hate to imagine how much just gets pushed up and burnt when new trees are planted. It is a hard wood or reasonable soft? A lot of fruit trees that grow slowly are quite hard due to the close grain I imagine.:rolleyes:

I've been having trouble getting logged on and then staying logged on to this forum. What's up? Anybody else having the same problem?

I was having heaps of problems .. thought it was a loyalty thing, go away for a few minutes and the forum doesn't love you any more .. tried something more scientific and asked for help!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Have a look here:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=36924
and maybe some of the things people suggested may help.

JD

tashammer
8th September 2006, 02:14 AM
that is a beautiful bowl Paul, kinda reminds me of maranta leaves. Is it a display bowl only or can it be used? What sent does the wood have whilst turning?

bikerboy
8th September 2006, 02:39 AM
mango platter, dam that looks good,now what about a ........

womango plater:D sorry, I'll get me coat,and shut the door on the way out:)

Gil Jones
8th September 2006, 04:25 AM
Paul, that is a fine looking platter.
Nice wood too.

Exador
8th September 2006, 06:42 AM
Lovely wood, I would hate to imagine how much just gets pushed up and burnt when new trees are planted. It is a hard wood or reasonable soft? A lot of fruit trees that grow slowly are quite hard due to the close grain I imagine.:rolleyes:

It's not that easy to find mango trees to salvage. I've been lucky enough to get 3 at various times and still have to mill one of them. The timber is very soft and open-grained, but stable and reasonably stiff. I haven't tried planing it, but with the amount of interlocked and confused grain it would be a bugger, I imagine. I'm using it for the tops of some bar stools at the moment (I'll post pics later) and one of the other members here is using it to make an electric guitar body.The grain that the OP got is typical.

TTIT
8th September 2006, 09:23 AM
Good looking platter Paul.:) I've been offered a couple of tons of Mango but as good as your platter looks, I decided to give it a miss - too soft and most of it is pretty bland - also a pain trying to keep the borers out of it.:(

paul collins
8th September 2006, 01:29 PM
thanks for all the kind words.tazz the mango has no discernable scent while turning.i suppose you could use it for fruit or the like,but the friend who took it back to perth said she is just going to put it on the hall table to display.thinking about the scent of wood,what is the nicest anyone has turned.has anyone tried port orford cedar,a really nice scent to it while turning.:)

tashammer
8th September 2006, 06:31 PM
i love the smell of huon pine, also King Billy

cedar n silky
8th September 2006, 08:48 PM
i love the smell of huon pine, also King Billy
Xcuse my ignorance, but what is King Billy?:confused: :)

tashammer
9th September 2006, 07:25 AM
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/veg/pines.html

King Billy pine
The King Billy pine (Athrotaxis selaginoides) is thought to derive its common name from the Tasmanian Aborigine William Lanney, who was referred to as 'King Billy'. It reaches a height of 40 m and may reach ages in excess of 1200 years. The species is restricted to regions above 600 m where it grows in highland rainforest.

Often used for boat building but it is becoming more and more rare. It's a softwood. Has it's own colour tending towards a red orange. Absolutley delecious smell.

Pencil pine
A close relative of the King Billy pine, the pencil pine (Athrotaxis cupressoides), is generally restricted to sub-alpine areas above 800 m. Like its relative, it can reach ages greater than 1200 years.

Pencil pines are often seen around the shores of highland lakes and tarns, creating the unique ambience of these beautiful areas of Tasmania.

The Huon Pine (Lagarostrobos franklinii) derives its common name from the stands which once occurred along the Huon River, itself named after Captain Huon Kermandec, commander of the French ship, L'Esperance. The species is restricted to western and southern Tasmania, where it is largely confined to riverine habitats.

Estimates of the area of living Huon pine vary, but are in the order of 10,500 ha. In addition there are about 800 ha of standing, fire-killed pine. The current area of remaining pine is the remnant of a much wider original range that has been reduced by fire, inundation, logging and mining. Today, the remaining stands are well protected within reserves, the majority being within the World Heritage Area. Notice how little area there is left of Huon. If you have some then hold on to it.

Nobody ever thinks about replanting huon pine - it takes a 1000 years to mature - now that would be a really long term investment.

At the mercy of fire
Tasmania's native conifers are highly susceptible to fire. In certain areas of the state, extensive stands of dead 'stags' give testimony to the ravages of previous fires. Some of the largest pure stands of pencil pine have been lost due to campfires which have escaped. Some species will never recover due to their very slow growth and poor seed dispersal abilities. Indeed, one-third of the State's King Billy pines have been eliminated by fire.

The Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area has been declared a "fuel stove only area" in an attempt to prevent the loss of further stands of pine, as well as rainforest and alpine communities, which are also highly susceptible to fire. The fuel stove only label is for the folks who live up by the lakes, especially Arthur's Lake and Great Lake.

Oh, and there is Celery Top Pine as well.

Another tree of interest to turners is sassafrass, the best one is called black-hearted sassafrass. If you have ever read western stories where they talk about the painted country then that is what black heart sassafrass puts me in mind of. Absolutely lovely. Bit overdone on platters mind you.

THat's the trouble with giving native species European names, folks try to relate them to species they know, King Billy Pine is not a pine. Much like Myrtle is not myrtle which is a northern hemisphere species.

It's lovely the way one can get used to calling something Nothofagus Cunninghamii for years only to have them change it to Nothfagus gunnii. The sods
Whay makes it worse is that the powers that be have renamed the myrtle beech adter one of the biggest bunches of tree killers around - Gunns = gunnii.

Oh, if you are reading the above url notice how they keep referring to the myrtle as the fagus, whereas its Latin name in Nothfagus means "not beech".

What kind of sense does it mean to call something by what it isn't?

Myrtle standing is a beautiful tree with lovely leaves of the sort that one might associate with childrens stories. Myrtle fallen makes a good furniture timber and a good turning timber. As is often the case the best looking wood is not the select grade unless you like flaw free stuff.

Tasmania had a whole bunch of trees and bushes that were unique the troublw because of their rigid demands as to environment has mean that regrowing them is virtually impossible. This is, again, one of those situations where you can't fix it after you broke it. Damn sad.

There has been such huge wastage of timber that would have been ideal for small scale furniture operations. The craftwood market ought to have been surveyed as the timbers woiuld and have been a turners delight. But, no, they clear-felled and burned or downed them. Ignoring any please for us to get as much timber as possible. Or placing so many restrictions on what you could collect that it was hardly worth the effort, and this is despite the fact that Goverment knew they were going to just waste the timber.

Prats the lot of them.

cedar n silky
9th September 2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for that Tashhammer!:) (your not a mumbling old fart at all:D )
Appreciated the low down on your timbers down there.
I have a VERY small amount of Huon, and yes I only turn little knobs and draw pulls with it generally. Love the smell.:rolleyes:

hughie
9th September 2006, 11:54 AM
[

What kind of sense does it mean to call something by what it isn't?

Prats the lot of them.

well said!

TTIT
10th September 2006, 12:29 AM
thinking about the scent of wood,what is the nicest anyone has turned.:) Gotta be False Sandalwood - yet another named by what it isn't !:eek::D:D:D I've actually slapped a chank on the lathe at times just to fill the shed with the aroma!:o

Tornatus
11th September 2006, 10:45 PM
G'day Paul

Ripper platter - far & away the best use for a mango I've ever seen: nasty, sticky, smelly, gooey, rubbish fruit that they are! I'm sure that Queenslanders only send them down South as a joke on the rest of us.

Chop down all mango trees and send us the wood instead, I say!

Cliff Rogers
11th September 2006, 10:54 PM
Torno mate, you only get the crook ones. :D

powderpost
11th September 2006, 11:08 PM
Got 70 trees in my front yard and been a mango muncher for about 60 years. Haven't found a "crook" mango yet.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
12th September 2006, 12:04 AM
.... Haven't found a "crook" mango yet.
Jim

That is 'cos we sent them all to Torno. :D