PDA

View Full Version : Installing shower base and vanity

airmech953
7th September 2006, 05:24 PM
Hello all, a couple of questions about bathrooms.
First I'm bedding a polymarble shower base on mortar. Should the mortar go on top of tile underlay or direct on to the yellow tongue floor (primed with a w/p membrane)?
How thick should the mortar be under the shower base?
When I install the vanity unit should it stand on the floor tiles or on the tile underlay and then tile around it?
Thanks for any advice.

Damon_11
8th September 2006, 01:30 AM
When I install the vanity unit should it stand on the floor tiles or on the tile underlay and then tile around it?

Hi,

Having just done the same, if you have adjustable legs as mine has, tile all floor and wall and level up the screw in legs. If the vanity needs to be swapped, at least you will have everything tiled for next time without any repairs. If worried about stability, pop 2 x self tappers into your wall through the back of the vanity.

Cheers

DC

jedi
9th September 2006, 01:09 AM
It won't matter if the base goes on top of the underlay as long as it is nailed down properly (with the correct nails).

The mortor mix underneath is just to bed the base down so that it doesn't twist and crack so the thickness isn't important (as long as it beds properly), just press down firmly.

Make sure the wall sheets behind the shower base are completely sealed before your lamipanel or tiles go on so water doesn't leak behind wall (a common oversight).

Lay the tiles then install the cabinet.

Probably important to mention, a licenced plumber should be doing this work,lol.;)

airmech953
9th September 2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the replies.It goes with what I suspected should be the right way of doing things.I have even used the services of a plumber.