PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Band Saw Blades

Mick4412
6th September 2002, 07:12 PM
What are your views on having band saw blades re-sharpened as compared with buying new ones.
To date, I have been gooing out and buying new ones - cost $18 to $20 for reasonable blades at Carba-tec.
If the suggestion is to have the blades re-sharpened, any recommendations for a reliable place in Melbourne - close to Donvale ( or Blackburn)
Thanks
Mick

Kev Y.
6th September 2002, 10:12 PM
Mick, From what I can gather it is really a waste of time and money getting the blades re-sharpened.

For my $$$$ it is far cheaper to buy new blades.

Kev

Justin
7th September 2002, 12:25 AM
Hi Mick,

I'm not sure whether sharpening is the go or not, but you might want to give C&S sawblade services a call. I believe they are in Waverley, a guy from Carbatec told me about them once - he couldn't help me with a particular size that I wanted, and said that they get all their blades wholesale from C&S anyway.

Cheers,

Justin.

Mick4412
7th September 2002, 07:14 AM
Brudda - I think your probably right, At $18 to $20 for a new blade, can't imagine that sharpening a 2.3m blade would be much cheaper. I wouldn't fancy doing 50 -60 teeth for $20.
Justin - thanks also - will go to C&S - WAverly is about the same distance as Richmond for me anyway

Thanks
Mick

RETIRED
8th September 2002, 09:17 PM
C&S Butcher Services.
STEWART ROAD, MT. WAVERLEY
9802 1040

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

niel.p
9th September 2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Mick4412:
What are your views on having band saw blades re-sharpened as compared with buying new ones.
To date, I have been gooing out and buying new ones - cost $18 to $20 for reasonable blades at Carba-tec.
If the suggestion is to have the blades re-sharpened, any recommendations for a reliable place in Melbourne - close to Donvale ( or Blackburn)
Thanks
MickYou could try C&S saw service at 17 stewart st mt waverley
(802 1040 as they supply carbertec all there bandsaw blades.

AlexS
10th September 2002, 12:18 AM
I've recently learned that you can sharpen a bandsaw yourself using a Dremel or similar with a small cylindrical grinding stone. It's just a matter of touching up the tip by putting the stone in the hook of the tooth. Doesn't need a lot of grinding - just need to bring a sharp tip back to the tooth. Doesn't take as long as you'd think either.

ubeaut
10th September 2002, 01:22 AM
I have had blades sharpened in the past. Cost - around $10 per sharpen. Result - better than a new blade by a country mile.

Try it you'll be delighted.

Try looking in the yellow pages uder Saw Doctors for someone near you.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif