PDA

View Full Version : New Member

BernieP
7th September 2006, 11:59 PM
Hi all,
Have spent time in shadows reading all threads and learning lot thought it was time to show face, great forum, looking forward to being able to ask advice where necessary
Berniep

DanP
8th September 2006, 12:31 AM
I can't go anywhere without my family following me... :rolleyes:

Dan

PS Welcome... :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th September 2006, 01:21 AM
Welcome to the madhouse.

I'm sure you'll meet all the inmates soon enough. Now if you'll pardon me, it's the end of my shift. Time to go home.

(Errm... where did I park my elephant?)

tashammer
8th September 2006, 02:08 AM
Welcome BernieP :-)

You just missed the elephant barbecue, it was very nice. There as been great demand for the bones which they think will turn into ivory now they are free of the elephant. Silly people, every one know they will turn into flutes.

Still it's kind of Skewwy to keep bringing the elephants don't you think? You are most welcome to the next one BernieP. We never lack anything to eat, even if Skewwt forgets the elephant, though we have been dining on too many new members as of late. Still yer gotta eat what yer can, hey?

TTIT
8th September 2006, 09:40 AM
Welcome aboard Bernie.:D How about some pics of your work to introduce yourself :)

Auzzie turner
8th September 2006, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forum,

you'll have to excuse those other folks,
they're a bit ummm......you know.:D :D :D :p :p :eek: :cool:

Regards...Joash

hughie
8th September 2006, 02:08 PM
Bernie,

Welcome...I think,.... they are all mad here you know, its only you and I that are sane. They all think its a wood working forum...heh heh :D
But we know better.....;) :D

seriously, glad you joined us.

OGYT
8th September 2006, 02:52 PM
Welcome, Bernie. This is a great forum, and some great people... I just don't always understand them... but what can you expect from a yank?
Glad to have you around.:o

BernieP
8th September 2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks for welcome, and forgot to mention have only been turning (wood that is) since March this year,so could someone please advise on Bottle Brush tree that blew down last night's wind, have saved the bigger pieces and now need to dry, I have some old brown fence paint is this ok to paint on ends?
Ta Bernie.

TTIT
8th September 2006, 04:01 PM
could someone please advise on Bottle Brush tree that blew down last night's wind, have saved the bigger pieces and now need to dry, I have some old brown fence paint is this ok to paint on ends?
Ta Bernie.
Throw it as high as you can and hope that the wind gets it again and dumps it in some other suckers yard!!:D I dried one I cut out to make room for a shed extension (still just a slab yet!:o) and it's horrible stuff - curly grain, bland brown color - waste of paint to seal it!:( Save the paint for the fence:D

turnerted
8th September 2006, 05:11 PM
Welcome Bernie
I like bottlebrush and get all I can . There are probably various species which vary in their suitability for turning but I have liked all I've tried . My stuff has a close grain and is a nice yellow to pink colour . I've just turned a few eggs out of some recently . Brown paint is better than nothing but no doubt you've read in this forum about end grain sealer . I cut it into suitable lengths , say about 150 - 250 mm long then turn it round untill the bark is all gone , seal the ends , weigh it and wait for it to dry . If you leave it till it drys before you debark it it makes a hell of a lot of dust as I discovered recently .

Ted

Auzzie turner
8th September 2006, 05:16 PM
Never turned the timber. like to get some someday.

lubbing5cherubs
8th September 2006, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the board
Toni

cedar n silky
8th September 2006, 08:45 PM
Welcome BernieP:)
Taree isn't too far from me up here! Lot of Victorians on this forum- Just don't tell em you burn Camphor laurel for firewood and you'll be right!;)
You got some nice timbers around your neck of the woods. Enjoy:)