PDA

View Full Version : Duh - Why didn't I think of this before?

Rocker
8th September 2006, 09:01 AM
Since acquiring my Domino jointer a few weeks ago, I have been troubled by the difficulty I have been having in cutting mortices accurately with the Domino in small workpieces. My initial solution to the problem was to make the jig described in this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=34889 , but that jig did not address the difficulty of holding the Domino's plate firmly flat on the surface of the workpiece when only a small part of the Domino's plate rests on it, when the workpiece is narrow.

The solution to the problem is embarrassingly simple - just clamp the workpiece level with the surface of a stout board held in a vice, so that the whole of the Domino's plate has something to rest on. I suppose other Domino owners have probably worked this out long ago. But, for the few who may not have, I thought I should post this picture.

I use a Quickclamp to lightly clamp the workpiece to the board; then, after fine-tuning the workpiece to ensure it is flush with the board, I clamp it firmly with a C-clamp, and the problem is solved. It is easy to hold the Domino firmly in position for the cut.

Rocker

Flowboy
8th September 2006, 10:55 AM
Greetings esteamed (get it?) Rocker,

Here's what I do.
Love those bench hold downs. If I feel its necessary, I'll place a board under the one I'm working on. Beauty of it is, you can use the whole bench without the hassle of moving everything everytime you run out of room.

Regards,

Rob

Rocker
8th September 2006, 11:58 AM
Rob,

I have one of those hold-downs, but I am talking specifically about the problem of how to keep the Domino plate level on small-section workpieces - say less than 40 x 40. That is why it is necessary to have a backing board level with the top of the workpiece to provide a large level area for the plate to be held down onto.

Rocker

Flowboy
8th September 2006, 12:20 PM
Hi Rocker,

40x40 is something I haven't had to work with before. There's no doubt that you have a simple, elegant (most simple solutions are elegant) method of working with this size stock. Cool!!

Regards,

Rob

Lignum
8th September 2006, 12:26 PM
Good one Rocker:D Your prob is noted for my soon to start Domi bench that will handle every clamping and holding situation the Domi can handle:D