PDA

View Full Version : Triton Respirator questions

Dylan SJ
8th September 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm looking at buying a Triton Respirator next week and just have a few questions for those in the know.

Any problems using it with a beard and glasses? I'll try before buying but others might bring up something I wouldn't think of.
Are the old models still floating around? Is there a way to make sure I get a later one? I understand Triton will send out the parts to upgrade the old model but I'd rather avoid that.
What's the current price for the new model and who sells them in Melbourne?
Anything else to consider?
Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Dylan

Redgy
8th September 2006, 11:43 AM
Anything else to consider?
Wait a few weeks & get a good deal from the triton stand at the WWW show + you'll get the latest model. I got mine at the Adelaide show & a good deal was done. Don't have a beard or glasses but can tell you they work very well.

Reg

keith53
8th September 2006, 12:25 PM
I'm looking at buying a Triton Respirator next week and just have a few questions for those in the know.
Any problems using it with a beard and glasses? I'll try before buying but others might bring up something I wouldn't think of.
Are the old models still floating around? Is there a way to make sure I get a later one? I understand Triton will send out the parts to upgrade the old model but I'd rather avoid that.
Anything else to consider?Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Dylan

Not sure about the beard - I haven't had one for years and nowadays, I'm not allowed to grow one. I do wear glasses and find no problems here. Slight fogging when the weather is really hot but generally, no problems. I'm very happy with mine.

Cheers,
Keith

Gumby
8th September 2006, 01:29 PM
I don't think there'd be too many old models left. It's a long time since they changed them over. If the hose attachment to the power pack has a screw cap, then it's the upgraded model.

Maybe the WW show is worth considering but I was pretty disappointed last year. the prices on triton gear were virtually the same as retail.

Dylan SJ
8th September 2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. The WW Show is over 5 weeks away and I'm not sure I want to wait that long. I'm looking to buy 2 so I may shop around and haggle a bit.

I thought more people would have beards though!

Cheers,
Dylan

TEEJAY
8th September 2006, 02:29 PM
I thought more people would have beards though!

Cheers,
Dylan

You don't look to have a beard - just a ginger mop and big eyes :D

Gumby
8th September 2006, 02:32 PM
You don't look to have a beard - just a ginger mop and big eyes :D

It's a stupid avatar, don't you think ? :)

ss_11000
8th September 2006, 04:01 PM
jim carrol sells them

www.cws.au.com (http://www.cws.au.com)

Auzzie turner
8th September 2006, 04:05 PM
not if you have the avatars turned off

TEEJAY
8th September 2006, 04:05 PM

Needs a cap! :D

steck
8th September 2006, 04:43 PM
Hi,
I just noted that my local bunnies have dropped the price to $196.

Hills in Dandenong (as in clothes hoists) used to sell Triton seconds and the respirators were $150.

Gumby
8th September 2006, 06:33 PM
Dandenong? Are sure you don't mean the Hills Clearance Centre in Cambria Rd Keysborough ?

I doubt they'd have any left, maybe worth a phone call.

TEEJAY
8th September 2006, 06:46 PM
Hi,
I just noted that my local bunnies have dropped the price to $196.

Hills in Dandenong (as in clothes hoists) used to sell Triton seconds and the respirators were $150.

What a bargain!! Think I paid near double that.

Gumby
8th September 2006, 06:59 PM
What a bargain!! Think I paid near double that.

Originally, when they were first released, they were $272

I won mine at the Triton Club :D So I then sold the first one I had for $220 on ebay.

tashammer
8th September 2006, 07:21 PM
clearance centre? anyway of find what they have on sale? We seem to lack clearance places here in Tassy - not enough folks i guess.

I was just introduced to Southern Metal Recycling and they have a heap of insurance damaged stock. (a heap by my standards is about 50 items).

Anyway they have a drum full of tinted and wrapped safety specs yellow or gold across the top strip. They are full wrap around and conform to AS1337 and are Cabots Safety glasses. So i bought 2 pairs. I could grab some more if anyone wanted any. They also had a drum full of woven cotten gloves which they wanted $5.00 a bundle, don't know how many are in a bundle. But could go back and check.
But wait, there's more.they have an ammunition boz of HSS 3/8 double flute router bits, and lots of other drill bits, including little spur pointed centre bits.

I also bought Credo kit of 11ty million drills, drill bits, screwdriver tips, including the long ones which i wanted. That kit was $25, if had i had haggled then i suspect i could have gotten it for less. It all came to $30. That means the rest of the things ought to be cheap, but i suspect i got someone who wasn't as interested as he could be. Ah well. If anyone wants anything then it will be cost+postage. I would charge for sharing my luck around.

Gumby
8th September 2006, 07:32 PM
The last time somebody here posted what they had left in the way of triton gear, it was mainly hundreds of cheap saw blades. Like thetrpile cuts which sell in Bunnings for $100 were about $25. Other than that, I think most of the stuff is gone.

Do a search here for Hills Clearance centre and you'll find the relevant threads.

steck
8th September 2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Gumby,
yes I did mean the other Dandenong - Keysborough.
Hills Clearance Centre,
Tubing & Factory Seconds
Keysborough Cambria Rd (cnr Bridge Rd) 3173
(03) 9238 2555

Thanks for the correction.

benchdog
8th September 2006, 08:30 PM
back to the original question, i grow a beard from time to time and i have no problem with the triton respirator with the beard or without the beard, makes no difference. as for using it with glasses, i find i have to open the visor or the beer goes all down my front.

Benchdog

Dylan SJ
8th September 2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks benchdog. The beard thing was a concern. I would hate to buy the respirator only to find that I had to shave it off. I haven't shaved in 17 years (see avatar for before shot) and I don't plan to start now...

tanii51
9th September 2006, 09:08 AM
was at our hills clearance centre the other day they still had refurbished respirators for a $100 might be still worth the extra postage for yuo (ph 08 829356110)

robatman
10th September 2006, 03:19 PM
Got mine from hills clearance in sydney for $130.

Should also add it doesnt work!! the unit wont charge. bought it in may and just been using it as a glorified faceshield.

do i call the clearance centre or get it checked out or GMC??
robert

tanii51
10th September 2006, 07:56 PM
if yuo still have the reciept id go for hills first they told me mine had a warranty but i cant remebr how long it was for

thetassiebfg
10th September 2006, 08:14 PM
I was just introduced to Southern Metal Recycling and they have a heap of insurance damaged stock. (a heap by my standards is about 50 items)

Quick Diversion away from Triton Respirators Sorry..

Tashammer could you let me know where these guys are.. could not find on google or in phonebook but assume they are a Tasmanian mob..

Cheers
Andrew

tashammer
11th September 2006, 12:03 PM
Quick Diversion away from Triton Respirators Sorry..

Tashammer could you let me know where these guys are.. could not find on google or in phonebook but assume they are a Tasmanian mob..

Cheers
Andrew

They have an odd name:

Southern Rocycling
252 Georgetown Road
Rocherlea

Phone: 03 63263177
Mobile no: 0438 732 069

www.southern-ro.com.au

Dylan SJ
13th September 2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I picked one up at the local Bunnings yesterday for $197.

Also bought a nice new Domino from Anthony. :D

Keith H
24th September 2006, 08:19 PM
G'day Dylan
Have had the Triton unit since they first hit the market (didn't have the funds for the 3M unit). I put up with the early feeder hose for a long time, but then got onto Triton, which had then turned to Hills, which has now turned to GMC. Two new owners later (GMC, that is) then supplied me with the upgrade hose, helmet insert and battery pack top "FREE OF CHARGE". Hard to believe I know.
But all is good, my battery pack is now showing signs of not holding charge and I get about 4 -5 hours.
I have a full beard and have not had any problems with fitting of the dust skirt. I does a good job. Just remember to change your P2 filters on a regular basis and keep the pre filter clean.
Best investment in saving my lungs.
regards
Keith H