PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blades

Don Nethercott
17th November 2002, 10:37 PM
I have a Hafco 14" bandsaw.

I try to use it to cut circular blanks for turning.

Blanks are hard and soft woods, and can be up to 4" thick with a diameter as little as 3". Wood can be green or dry.

I am having great difficulty with the current blade, as it really only likes straight lines.

Could anyone suggest which blade would be the most suitable ( ie width and number of teeth.

Thanks muchly
Don Nethercott

DarrylF
18th November 2002, 05:58 AM
Do like I just did and get yourself down to Henry Bros Saws - or Academy - and get a range of blades. They aren't very expensive and you'll be set up to do anything. Give them a call and order over the phone if you can't get down there. They'll point you in the right direction.

If I remember correctly the one I'm using at the moment is around 3/8" x 3tpi and works well for cutting turning blanks.

lennyB
18th November 2002, 09:09 AM
Easy, smaller blades cut tighter circles, less teeth cut more quickly, more teeth give a finer finish on the cut surface. If you are having trouble turning the blade you might check your guides top and bottom and perhaps increase the tension (pluck the blade on the left hand side and listen to the note rise). Finally try a thinner blade.

Baz
18th November 2002, 08:58 PM
Hi All,
Academy saw works has closed it's doors, try Henry Bros.
Cheers
Barry

Don Nethercott
22nd November 2002, 10:11 AM
Where is Henry Bros Saws?

I live near Grafton and don't know much about stores in Sydney and Melbourne - usually shop in Brisbane.

Thanks for the replies

Cheers
Don

Red neck
22nd November 2002, 01:42 PM
Don,

Try this link http://www.peacocksaws.com.au/ or pay them a visit when next in Brisbane.

'red neck'

Baz
22nd November 2002, 08:50 PM
Hi Don,
Henry Bros: 451 Old Hawkesbury Rd, Vineyard, NSW 2765,phone 02 9627 5088, Fax 02 9627 2707, Email [email protected]
Cheers
Barry