PDA

View Full Version : The quest for the perfect mitre

MikeK
8th September 2006, 04:50 PM
Hi,

Just checking in to see how others have done this. I made a sled for my triton so that I could cut mitres (similar to the sleds in the triton forum). I spent some hours on it and eventually got a perfect mitre on my test run (pine 100*55mm). A fews hours later, I tried it on the good stuff - river redgum (90*40mm). Result: not so good + lots of frustration :mad: :mad:

I've thought of a few reasons why this might happen:
- incompetence on my part;
- the sled was made with MDF and maybe the MDF expanded (it was a very wet day);
- wrong blade selection.

So, my question/plea is, what sage advice can you people offer me in the quest for the perfect mitre?

Regards,
Mike.

Auld Bassoon
8th September 2006, 06:46 PM
Mitres can be a bit trying, to say the least!

The most obvious source of error (after having made sure that the fence is absolutely vertical to the table, and that the sled (or mitre gauge) is dead on 45o (or whatever required)) is that the stock wasn't flat, straight and properly square. Stating the blerry obvious really, but the stock MUST be properly prepared (don't trust DAR!) or any kind of joinery will be off; it's just a bit more apparent with mitre joints.

ian
8th September 2006, 07:04 PM
Hi,

Just checking in to see how others have done this. I made a sled for my triton so that I could cut mitres (similar to the sleds in the triton forum). I spent some hours on it and eventually got a perfect mitre on my test run (pine 100*55mm). A fews hours later, I tried it on the good stuff - river redgum (90*40mm). Result: not so good + lots of frustration :mad: :mad:

I've thought of a few reasons why this might happen:
- incompetence on my part;
- the sled was made with MDF and maybe the MDF expanded (it was a very wet day);
- wrong blade selection.

So, my question/plea is, what sage advice can you people offer me in the quest for the perfect mitre?Mike, some thoughts

1) your test setup used thicker and softer timber than the "good stuff" I'm not sure how significant this might be, but to me it's the obvious variable. You could try again adjusting the setup using scraps of the "good stuff" at the same thichness

2) arbour float in your saw or saw vibration in the Triton set-up. When I used a Triton (MkIII) as my main saw, this was a problem that had to be corrected using the saw stabiliser bracket

3) wrong blade ?? you haven't said what you're using. My mitre saw has a 10in 80 tooth blade and I think more teeth gives a better cut

4) give up (this is a bit tongue-in-cheek !) cut very close with the saw and trim the mitre to "perfect" using a hand plane and 45° shooting board (or a mitre trimmer if you have a lot to do)

ian

dazzler
8th September 2006, 07:16 PM
Hi

A picture of the sled set up would be good if u can post one.

The triton is usually ok with a sled so there may be some movement in the design of the sled

cheers

DJ’s Timber
8th September 2006, 07:19 PM
Is the blade square to the table?

Ivan in Oz
8th September 2006, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Auld Bassoon;369773] is that the stock wasn't flat, straight and properly square.

SAWDUST:confused:
I'm all the time clearing Sawdust from the cutting areas.

martrix
8th September 2006, 07:31 PM
I made a sled from MDF when I had my Triton and it cut perfect mitres consistently..Dont even try with the sloppy POS that comes with the Tritonhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon13.gif.

Have a look here at my simple p!$$ easy sled

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/th_triton2000.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/?action=view&current=triton2000.flv)
</EMBED>

Gumby
8th September 2006, 07:36 PM
Hey that's a neat system and different to the usual sleds for the Triton. Can we get a better copy of that to add to our library of forum videos ? (maybe even a bigger file which would be a btter quality picture).

martrix
8th September 2006, 08:30 PM
I think I still have the original copy. I cant remember if the quality is much better though, as it was shot on a digital camera.

Whats the best way to send it to you, format?

Gumby
8th September 2006, 08:35 PM
What size is it? You could email it if it's not too big (I'm on cable)

We are disributing them through the forums by the torrent system. If you haven't been following the video thread, it would take a while to explain how it works.

jow104
9th September 2006, 06:52 PM
MikeK,
If you use the crosscut mode with your Triton workcentre 2000 (Main table dropped down to lower level) and set the mitre gauge you must get perfect mitres because one side of gauge will compensate any degree loss by creating a plus gain on its other edge. I think its on the Triton video.

Auld Bassoon
9th September 2006, 08:03 PM
As an extension to this question, how would forumites go about cutting accurate (and repeatable) mitres (45o) along the LENGTH of a piece of stock around a metre long?

Cheers!

jow104
9th September 2006, 08:06 PM
set up clamp stops to maintain the same cutting position for each operation.