PDA

View Full Version : Fav Handle Shape

Lumber Bunker
8th September 2006, 11:42 PM
I'm about to turn some new handles for some turning chisels and I would like to get some pictures and opinions of your favourite handle shapes, lengths and size for varrious tools.
I've been rounding them up from bits and peices of other threads but i'd like to get a real catalogue going.

Pics please...:)
I'll post mine once completed.

Cheers,

hughie
9th September 2006, 11:43 AM
I'm about to turn some new handles for some turning chisels and I would like to get some pictures and opinions of your favourite handle shapes, lengths and size for varrious tools.
I've been rounding them up from bits and peices of other threads but i'd like to get a real catalogue going.

Thomas,

Hmmm I dont have any real system other than the ''Whim 'n Fancy'' method. Just what ever takes my fancy on the day for shape. Length, well, I like 'em long so I can lean into 'em.
Little-ees for lesser jobs and so on

Cliff Rogers
9th September 2006, 03:37 PM
Most of mine are like the dark one 2nd from the right in hughie's pic

rsser
9th September 2006, 03:57 PM
I like Guilio M's deep hollowing tool ... crow bar with scraping tip. Puts new meaning into 'long and strong' ;-}

cedar n silky
9th September 2006, 07:50 PM
What do you use for ferrules there Hughie?:) Cheers

cedar n silky
9th September 2006, 07:51 PM
What do you use for ferrules there Hughie?:) Cheers
Almost forgot- "Nice Handles":D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th September 2006, 08:34 PM
I'm a bit like Hughie in that my handles don't make a "matched set."

But that's more 'cos I shape each handle depending on the way I intend to use the tool, rather than whim... although whim is still a major player. ;) For example, for my smaller tools where my right hand is normally holding the ferrule, I like the more "traditional" form (the same as Cliff mentions) with a bulge to fit the palm at the ferrule and the rest being tapered to run down the inside of my arm.

But for tools that remove wood quickly, I hate that form. I like a LOT of mass at the far end of the handle (to the extent that I'll add a lead plug) and instead of a bulge near the ferrule I prefer a bit of a waist for my left hand. Only when it doesn't weaken the handle, of course. A bit like the 2nd from the left in Hughie's pic.

One advantage of different style handles for different type tools is that it makes for easy selection at a glance.

I'd take some pix but the camera and I aren't on speaking terms at the mo. :o

Lumber Bunker
10th September 2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks Hughie,
Some good looking handles amongst them. I'm definiately going long.
which of those handles do you find the best to control? (Butt end)
Which is your skew(s)?

Cheers

TTIT
10th September 2006, 01:00 AM
1 - ??pallet hardwood
2 - I've always been 'gonna' ditch this one and make a new one as it's a bit short and too thin at the end but hell, it was the first thing I turned since high school and is my most used chisel (nearly):)
3&4 - some sort of borer riddled oak - shape is just right:D
5 - walnut (thanks Mong!) - big extendable job for hollowing - the 5/8 shaft can slide in about 220mm.

Bodgy
10th September 2006, 10:00 AM
I use any scraps lying around, preferably hardwood.

The unusual shape is due to finding a nail in the first blank after I began turning, hence the ridge at the wrong end. I turned all the others to loosely match. Ferrules are whatevers lying around, CU water pipe, brass curtain rod etc.

Nothing very special, for what its worth piccy:

hughie
10th September 2006, 11:13 AM
What do you use for ferrules there Hughie?

Cedar, I use stainless either 25 or 32mm tube with a wall thickness of 1.6mm. They are off cuts, just trim em up square on the lathe...not the MC1100..:D tho'

Handles: I do have some method to my madness. The beading and the amount of it, is related to what sort of trouble I might anticipate getting into.
The longer ones are generally for vase and deep work, with the major dia at the end with plenty of beading for extra grip. I like 30-35mm dia for max grip, hence the size at the ends of some of the handles.

Lumber Bunker
10th September 2006, 04:26 PM
This is great. Keep them coming guys...
Some funky looking handles in there some look a bit like...well one of these (http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2600257&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=)

:eek:

cheers

BernieP
10th September 2006, 07:19 PM
Steven, You have probably seen it before but look here http://www.alanlacer.com/articles/handles.html
one of my chisels has much the same shape and i find it suits me
Bernie

rsser
11th September 2006, 02:38 PM
Bear in mind tho Lumber that longer handles need greater centre height to clear the bed when bowl turning, all other things being equal.

Cliff Rogers
11th September 2006, 09:49 PM
...longer handles need greater centre height to clear the bed when bowl turning,......
Only if you are too lazy to go & sharpen the tool & are trying to use the last shape bit on it. ;) :D

rsser
12th September 2006, 08:04 AM
Could start a debate here ;-} Other variables are of course width and depth of bowl, bevel angle etc.

Lumber Bunker
14th September 2006, 06:05 PM
Well i've pumped out two handles...
Pics to follow.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th September 2006, 06:50 PM
Could start a debate here ;-} Other variables are of course width and depth of bowl, bevel angle etc.

And length of bed. Or lack thereof. :p

Lumber Bunker
14th September 2006, 06:50 PM
Well thanks everyone for their input I finally settled on a shape and a thickness after a few trails. (I'm really glad I bothered with the trials MK1 MK2 and MK3 were real crap...)
Attached (fingers crossed) are some pics
These are the first two, there are four to come, I think that I will try and keep them all the same as i'm really happy with this design.
Some specs
Handle Length - 400mm
Diameter at Ferrel - 35mm ish
Diameter a high point under ferrel - 47mm
Diameter a lowest point - 33mm ish
Diameter at Butt - 45mm ish

Yep, that's pretty thick but I have larger than most hands and they feel really great to use. The Length is great, I feel as though I have a lot more control now.
I have noticed a huge change in how much I have move my right hand (at the back) to get the same movement at the cutting edge. It feels like I have to exaggerate the movement. But much finer control.

Ferrell is alumuminim tube
Timber is Red Ash
Finish is Danish oil and wax
Tools are P&N (bloody fantastic!)

Thanks again for the input.
I'll post the others when there done.

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2006, 07:19 PM
Look good.

Caveman
14th September 2006, 11:18 PM
Here's 1 that I made FWIW, and find particularly comfy to use. A few options for positions on the right hand (right-handed...). Similar to one of the commercial tool makers handles that I saw a picture of once (I think record power?!?).

TTIT
14th September 2006, 11:26 PM
I think that I will try and keep them all the same as i'm really happy with this design.
Some specs
Handle Length - 400mm
Diameter at Ferrel - 35mm ish
Diameter a high point under ferrel - 47mm
Diameter a lowest point - 33mm ish
Diameter at Butt - 45mm ish

Yep, that's pretty thick but I have larger than most hands and they feel really great to use. The Length is great, I feel as though I have a lot more control now.

Nice job on the handles! Much the same as my hollower handle Steve which I modelled on the Sorby handle - a very 'confident' feeling handle I reckon. :) My home-made handles have gotten progressively bigger - awkward sometimes but they give me more of an 'in control' feeling.:D

soundman
15th September 2006, 12:03 AM
Caveman.... what the.... is that tool... is it a turning tool or do you use it for skinning wilderbeast?:eek:

cheers

Cliff Rogers
15th September 2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah Andy, I have a couple of smaller spindle detail tools with handles that shape.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2006, 12:26 AM
Caveman.... what the.... is that tool... is it a turning tool or do you use it for skinning wilderbeast?:eek:

I've a similar tool... it's used for scaring cantankerous wood into behaving. In use, it's simply taken out of the storage rack and put into the quick-access rack near my lathe.

Works wonders! :D

Caveman
15th September 2006, 01:15 AM
I've a similar tool... it's used for scaring cantankerous wood into behaving. In use, it's simply taken out of the storage rack and put into the quick-access rack near my lathe.

Works wonders! :D

:D :D :D :) :) :) :( :eek: :eek: :eek: - that's the reaction from a non complaint piece of wood when the tool comes off the shelf - I agree Skew it does work wonders:) .

Bit too dry at the moment - the wildebeast have migrated southwards till the rains come.

The tool is actually a scraper of sorts - from a heavy duty leaf spring. I find it quite good for shearscraping the outside profile of large bowls.

hughie
15th September 2006, 01:36 AM
Steve,
You got a good finish and detail on the handles. Mine are a bit rougher, I keep telling myself its for the grip.......:D

Andy that sure is some wood scarer you've got there.:D whats that from the Assegai Tool Works......ooops they are bit further south