PDA

View Full Version : Another Convert

olddog
9th September 2006, 06:49 PM
HI, Went to the Canberra WWW show Friday and had a play with a Domino,well what the converts are saying is true,its better than good,even with no prior knowlege of the machine I could set up say a cupboard door frame and in 5 minutes have it ready for glue up,no marking out just do it, so bloody simply (oh where was she years ago and a thousand mortisers ) Cost worth every penny,if you are working in joinery for a living and dont have one of these I think you need a trip to the funny farm just the material saveing alone would payfor it in no time. no tennons so you are saying four times the width of the stiles on every door not much but it soon adds up at todays costs,and labour time, well how much,wold depend on the job,but 50% I would guess. Well come on Mr Tax man get back to me i am ready to spend. I dont think a lot of people watching the demo had much idea of what they were seeing a few comments saying oh I can do all that with my biscuit machine well lots of luck.Cant wait to get my hands on one of my own,bugger the expence.......Peter

Flowboy
9th September 2006, 07:33 PM
Hi Olddog,

Guess ya can learn new tricks. What you are saying about savings for anyone doing Joinery for a living is absolutely true IMHO. In a previous post I said it would probably pay for itself in 6 months or less and I think if you look through the threads you'll find others with more experience have said the same. But its the flexibility, precision and ease of use that really hits you. So many different joints, so little time...

Regards,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
9th September 2006, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the sect of the Domis mate!

It really is a blerry fantastic tool isn't it? Even as a W-E-Warrior with the odd commission, this tool is worth every cent...(less a discount :D)

patr
9th September 2006, 08:27 PM
Olddog

Good to see another dog on the Forum!

Welcome to the growing ranks of converts. There will be many more.

Pat and Simou

Jedo_03
9th September 2006, 09:35 PM
How much is one, anyway. . ??
Cheers
Jedo

micknews
9th September 2006, 10:26 PM
And another one! Went into Just Tools in Sth Melbourne yesterday for something else and came out with A domino plus add ons and a red hot credit card *L*. Sorry Anthony, but it was in my hands and too hard to put down *L*. Thanks to the heads up in this particular forum I checked the slide mechanism for binding before I paid for it. It was fine. Haven't had much time to check it out in anger yet. Did put a couple of dominos in some screp and joined them. Perfectly level and as if they were glued together. Is that what you have been trying to get accross Lignum, Patr and others ? ;-))).

Mick.

Lignum
9th September 2006, 10:42 PM
Congrats Micknews on joining the "real" Darkside :D Im holding of on the congrats for you Olddog untill you have formerly joined with a hot little Domi in your sweaty little hands;)

And Mick the "perfectly level" is what im going on about. Ive said before if Biscuit members want to check out what their machines can do then join a min 800mm length pre-veneered panel together and run your fingers along to see if their is a "ridge" I bet their is and its soooooo hard to flatten as the veneer is 0.5mm thin. Domino the same and its "Perfect" :D

Lignum
9th September 2006, 10:44 PM
And memo to Rene:D Join in, we wont bite:D

nt900
9th September 2006, 10:45 PM
Hehe - can't win 'em all. :)

Congratulations Mick :D not surprised you bought one - once you see and get a feel for the DOMINO and realise how simple yet ingenious it is, you gotta have one. Then, as Lignum and other demonstrate, the real ingenuity and enjoyment begins.

patr
9th September 2006, 11:07 PM
Welcome Mick

Yep. Thats exactly what we've been trying to get across and, it would appear, with ever increasing success.

Mind you cherish that little girl or in the case of Dan that little boy!

All they ask for is a dust down and a drop of eau de sewing machine oil. Wish my kids had been as cheap to run.

Pat