PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl

OGYT
10th September 2006, 08:54 AM
This is a Cherry Bowl I just finished today. :D
It's 31cm dia X 15cm deep X 1.2 cm thick. Finish is danish oil. Oil isn't dry enough to wax and buff yet. The rim is slanted to the inside. I shake too much to print well, hence, just my brand instead of my name.
When green, I rough turned it to 2.5cm thickness, and soaked in soap (50/50) solution for about a month... (kid and grandkids in hosp after a wreck.. no time for the shed). Then I wrapped it in brown paper sack and left the top open. Stored it top down on expanded metal shelf for about two weeks. It didn't warp or crack.:cool:
Comments welcome. I'm a thick skinned old guy.:eek:

Gil Jones
10th September 2006, 09:28 AM
Al, your bowl form is quite nice, and I like the
foot and its treatment. The soft sheen surface finish is excellent.
Cherry is one of my favorite turning species; I love the smell.
Does the soap soaking take away the cherry smell?

I have two gallons of that Costco dish soap, but have not tested it yet. Guess I
had better get busy.

ss_11000
10th September 2006, 06:24 PM
nice bowl mate.

BernieP
10th September 2006, 06:53 PM
Great bowl Al, nice grain and have noted bottom as thats one area I'm yet to perfect on my bowls.
Bernie

TTIT
11th September 2006, 12:53 AM
Nice bit of wood Al :). Good form too. :D Have you ever tried nuking the cherry to see if it will or won't crack? The soap treatment seems to be a lot of muckin' around in comparison ;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th September 2006, 01:05 AM
I nuked an 8" rough-turned bowl of American Cherry about 6 months ago and it came thru fine.

Well... that's not quite true. It had already started checking at the heart (the blank hadn't been pithed and the blank was end-grain turned) which the nuking exaggerated slightly, but nothing serious and the bowl finished nicely. :)

Touchwood
11th September 2006, 01:08 AM
:cool:
very nice bowl - the cherry looks very pretty. I have only turned some very small green cherry - not the lovely grain.

kid and grandkids in hosp after a wreck.. no time for the shed
gee- hope they are all ok now.

I can see why the unpicker would be handy for SWMBO - nice patchworking too!

JD:p

lubbing5cherubs
11th September 2006, 02:07 AM
Mate hope everyone is ok... nice bowl don't need a thick skin
Toni

OGYT
11th September 2006, 02:18 AM
TTIT: "Have you ever tried nuking the cherry to see if it will or won't crack?" Nope. Our nuker is too small for anything of any size... besides, I have to live with that Lady..:D

BernieP: "have noted bottom as thats one area I'm yet to perfect on my bowls." Bottoms are easy, once you get the hang of jam chucking. I've used about everything to jam it between the headstock and tailstock. It'll come...:)

Gil: "Does the soap soaking take away the cherry smell?" I can't smell. :mad: Some say it smells good.

OGYT
11th September 2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, all.:)
Short story: Bad, one-vehicle rollover...5 times... two left in, three ejected, including my 22 day old grandson (bad technique locking him in).
All are healing now, and doing well... baby's in perfect shape. (he had two stitches in the back of his head, and some bruises.) We kept him a while and he's awesome!! :D Got some new, better car seats now, too.
My son had a massive concussion, a cracked C7, a broken jaw and some internal injuries, but is healing well.
Ejected 15 yr old Grandbaby girl had broken leg, healing well.
Ejected 13 yr old Grandbaby girl had 11 stitches in her arm. healed.
17 yr old Grandbaby girl had bruises all over, climbed out and took care of the others til help arrived.
Miracles still happen. :)

Gil Jones
11th September 2006, 12:53 PM
Wow, Al, they are a lucky bunch of kids. They are a whole lot more elastic than we are, so they can bend a bit, and not break so much (especially the baby).

sliver
11th September 2006, 03:23 PM
Best wishes to all for a speedy recovery.

Sliver.

Caveman
11th September 2006, 08:07 PM
Hey Al - nasty story - real glad it turned out not too bad. Lucky!

Nice looking bowl - cherry looks a very nice wood to work with. Pity we don't get it over here, but then I guess we have other trees to deal with.

Any soap in particular - or just general dish washing soap??? How long can one keep the soap/water solution for once mixed?

Tornatus
11th September 2006, 10:18 PM
I shake too much to print well, hence, just my brand instead of my name.

G'day Al

Just saw your post - BTW, best wishes for your family's recovery - and I noted your remark about your "brand". I assume it's some kind of pyrographic device - did you make it yourself (& if so, how?), or did you have it made for you?

I don't shake (yet), but I'm a hopeless pyrographer anyhow, and all my attempts to sign my name end up looking like someone left the bowl on a hotplate! I have been trying to figure out how to make a "branding iron" to imprint my initials.

PS Bonzer bowl, too!

hughie
12th September 2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the well wishes, all.:)

Al,

Phew! Thats a grand daddy of an event for any family. I am glad its turned out way better than it might have been. As you say miracles still happen. :D

Nice bowl! Good form! dont see much of the Cherry down my way[ its probably around I just hav'nt come across it]. I see you've gone for oiling it , I think that is a good choice for the working bowl. I have done a few with danish oil 3-4 coats and they are holding up real well.

OGYT
12th September 2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Andy.
The soap I use is concentrated Ivory Dish Washing soap. It's clear, and comes in .5 liter bottles at the supermarket. I mix up about 40 bottles of soap, and 40 bottles of water. I've mixed it twice this year. After about 3 months of pretty steady use, I add a gallon of meths to it. After a month or so it gets dark and grungy looking, but it still works. The wood turns a little dark when soaking, but dries without staining. I suppose one could strain the mess, but I only tried it once... last year... and I spilled about 10 gallons on my plywood shop floor. What a mess!

Tornatus, I don't have a branding iron, as such. I use a little cheap woodburner that I bought at Wal-Mart for about 20 USD. The pointed end. I rounded it just slightly with 320 grit paper.

Hughie, thanks. The cherry came from Georgia. I brought it back from the woodturner's gathering. Only cherry trees we have in West Texas average about 6 to 8 inches in diameter.

hughie
12th September 2006, 02:09 PM

The soap I use is concentrated Ivory Dish Washing soap. It's clear, and comes in .5 liter bottles at the supermarket. I mix up about 40 bottles of soap, and 40 bottles of water. I've mixed it twice this year. After about 3 months of pretty steady use, I add a gallon of meths to it. After a month or so it gets dark and grungy looking, but it still works. The wood turns a little dark when soaking, but dries without staining. I suppose one could strain the mess, but I only tried it once... last year... and I spilled about 10 gallons on my plywood shop floor. What a mess!

Al,

I put/use eucalytus oil to keep the odours away. Mine get so darn smelly it brings the blow flies, but a few table spoons of the E.oil and its ok for several months.

OGYT
12th September 2006, 02:16 PM
That's a good idea, Hughie. Maybe I can find some of that around here. Wal-Mart sells some sort of stinkum for lamps, maybe they have it.
The solution does get some smelly, doesn't it?...
Still lookin' for the slow boat.... :o)

Gil Jones
12th September 2006, 02:36 PM
Al, go to a natural vitamin/health foods place and ask for Eucalyptus oil in the 'essential oils' (or aromatherapy) area. That oil smells great, and is good for your lungs.

Caveman
12th September 2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info Al.
Will give the soap mix a go.
I am currently waxing my roughed out bowls but this gets very tedious (roughed out 15 or so bowls over the weekend - they are currently buried under their shavings till I can deal with them). If I don't wax or paint something on my rough outs they definately crack in our dry air.

Nice idea with the Eucalyptus oil Hughie. I have stored blanks in plain water for several months and even with frequent changes it begins to smell to the extent that the blow flies also come in - not nice.

hughie
13th September 2006, 01:04 AM
[

Nice idea with the Eucalyptus oil Hughie. I have stored blanks in plain water for several months and even with frequent changes it begins to smell to the extent that the blow flies also come in - not nice.
[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea, Hughie. Maybe I can find some of that around here

Guys I have to confess I got the idea from Ron kent, the originator of the soap idea.

go to a natural vitamin/health foods place and ask for Eucalyptus oil in the 'essential oils'

Pretty much on the button here. although dunno about country Kenya :D

Caveman
13th September 2006, 05:42 PM
[
Pretty much on the button here. although dunno about country Kenya :D

I'm sure I could find some - we haven't been left too far behind in this part of the world - on the other hand, thinking about it............ anyway leave it at that.

I have a couple hundred Eucalytptus citriodora & camaldulensis trees growing here which I believe are some of the major species grown for the extraction of essential oils. Perhaps I could try some sort of crushed leaf concoction.!?!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th September 2006, 05:44 PM
Maybe you could import some koalas? It'd take some effort to train 'em to pee in a bucket, but... :D:D

Caveman
13th September 2006, 05:56 PM
Maybe you could import some koalas? It'd take some effort to train 'em to pee in a bucket, but... :D:D

Aaah - so that's where it comes from - always wondered how they do that. :D :D :D