PDA

View Full Version : Delta 9" Band saw

macca2
25th January 2003, 10:28 PM
I am contemplating buying Delta 9" Band saw, and would very much like to hear from anyone who has knowledge of this saw. Is it a worthwhile buy for a beginner (woodturning)

Thanks
Macca

Red neck
25th January 2003, 11:24 PM
Macca

Depends if it is a new machine or a good second hand unit going for the right price. Personally I feel that a ‘nine-inch’ machine is a little on the small side for cutting blanks, unless you are using a mini-lathe. If it is a used machine at the right price then it may fill a gap until such time as funding permits the purchase of a larger unit.

I bought a 14 inch Carbatec some time back and have found this machine meets all my immediate needs in woodturning and woodwork. At the time I looked at a 12 inch Delta at a similar price but I’m pleased I went to the bigger unit. Who knows, one day I may buy an 18 or 20 inch unit if I can justify the expense. Mind you I roughed a lot of blanks down on the lathe before I could justify the luxury of a bandsaw!

macca2
26th January 2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the reply....I have a Woodfast 280S lathe with a 300mm swing and at this time I am roughing blanks on the lathe. Takes time but works. Maybe I should wait and buy a bigger machine.
Thanks
Macca

Red neck
26th January 2003, 05:48 PM
Macca

Woodfast is a quality lathe – worthwhile to match it with a suitable saw.

The advantage of the 14 inch unit is the larger motor allows cutting thicker timber. With the added riser kit you have the ability to carve up some reasonable logs into planks and then into turning blanks.

RN