PDA

View Full Version : A domino or a biscuit joiner?

joseph84
10th September 2006, 10:27 PM
Im thinking of either purchasing a domino or a biscuit joiner.
I cant seem to work out wat the difference is? From what i read i think they can do pretty much the same thing.

But what i really want to know is, once you buy a domino is it costly to maintain, eg buying the different size cutters, purchasing the domino's, etc. How much do the dominos' (not the machine), and cutters cost?

Dont get me wrong im not bringing domino's good reputation down, i just want to do my homework before i purchase one.

cheers

Joseph :)

craigb
10th September 2006, 10:35 PM
I don't own a Domino but I do own a biscuit joiner.

My understanding is that with a Domino you can make floating M&T joints of various sizes and at various angles.

With a biscuit joiner, well you just biscuit join. A biscuit join is not nearly as strong as a M&T.

Also a Domino will set you back 1400 bucks. A biscuit joiner can be had for a couple of hundred (or less for a GMC).

If I could justify the cost I would buy a Domino. It's no contest.

joseph84
10th September 2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks craig, i agree that the domino does produce stronger joints then a BJ but for those that own a domino is it worth the $1400? just looking at photos of the domino, this thing looks really hard to set up? but then again i could be wrong....

martrix
10th September 2006, 10:42 PM
oh my god..... do you know the price difference between a Domino and a biscuit joiner?http://www.ubeaut.biz/tearjerk.gif

sorry, dont mean to be offensive, but do a search on domino, or go and ask how much one costs.

Bodgy
10th September 2006, 11:21 PM
Let me re-phrase your question, if I may.............

A Domino or 16 biscuit joiners?

NewLou
10th September 2006, 11:23 PM
Gidday Joseph.

I guess the first question is how often are you going to want to use loose tenon joinery and when it all boils down to it how necessary is it to use loose tenon joinery???

Before Lig starts on me:p Theres no doubt that the Domino shines in "The Shop" environment particularly in regards to versatility accuracy and production run situations in a commercial environment.

For the brief nano second I thought about buying one (Luckily I went for a Bandsaw Instead) I just could'nt justify the use of Loose M&T joinery exclusively for most of my Woodworking needs & applications.............Frankly for me and the kind of woodworking I do its overkill.

For most of the woodworking I do the humble biscuit will do fine and at the end of day provide effecient long lasting joinery at next to nothing compared to the Domino.......................I suspect however that It would be a competely different scenario if I worked in a commercial environment.

REgards Lou:)

Lignum
10th September 2006, 11:32 PM
lol, a bunch of comedians :p

thetassiebfg
10th September 2006, 11:46 PM
Hi Joseph

Initial Outlay - Expensive
Ongoing Maintenance - I would think more expensive compared to BJ

Reasons why you would pay the extra..Have a look through the threads in the Festool section and you will constantly read how easy it is..

I own one and while I haven't used it mush for various reasons I have not found it difficult.. it gives nice solid joins a biscuit is how many mm's? the dominos vary in thicknesses 5, 6,8 and 10mm with lengths from 30 -50mm this means there is a selection to choose from not a one size fits all.. because of this you can choose one or a combination for the best fit for the join..

Read Lignums posts he cant stop raving over it, constantly square joints so much he says he has given up measuring diagonals.. the dominos fit so nicely you can almost do away with clamps when you do a dry fit.

I think Flowboy has played around and has found the perfect router bits for making his own dominos.. (that'll reduce costs a bit:D)

The people who use the Domi often are constantly amazed at what she can do using it for applications they did not think possible..

it is easy to use - just practise on scrap for a few minutes and you'll get the hang of it.. and yes they cost more but there are some gadgets you can get to go with it that are invaluable..

as to prices Check out http://www.festool.com.au/ the Australian website or there is a forum member NT900 who runs an outfit called Ideal Tools that is a seller of Festool products..

Anyway enough from me I'll let the Big Boys tell you in their own words..

My advice as a low ranking pleb in the domino world is GET ONE!!!! if you can there is no comparison between the two products

patr
10th September 2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Joseph

The answer to all your questions, and more, are in the various threads in the Domino Forum because they have been asked before. Costs of cutters/domis are on Anthony's website http://www.idealtools.com.au/ (http://www.idealtoolshttp://www.idealtools.com.au/).

The majority of points made on cost, difficulty of use/time to set up and the lack of any advantage over a biscuit joiner are usually made by those who have either never seen a Domino in use or have never used a Domino. The praise comes from those who have bought and used one. A recuring theme throughout the early Domino threads is:

a. initial dismissal on cost (I was one:o ) but intrigued
b. attend demonstration of the tool and marvel at its versatility
c. immediate purchase or order
d. incredulity at the speed, accuracy and strength of the join
e. enthusiasm at the range of uses
f. total amnesia (or couldn't give a Flying F) at the initial purchase price. The tool adds value.
g. tool paid for after one or two commissions by the pros
h. absolute delight in owning one of the very best powertools in the World
i. the need to defend Domi's honour at all costs:D
j. delete ex-smokers and converted Catholics, insert Converted Domi owners!

I gave my old Elu Biscuit joiner to my son and sold my Lamello on EBay. I would never go back to biscuits but do appreciate that there are many who still prefer the BJ. Its a matter of choice.

Regards
Pat

JDarvall
10th September 2006, 11:58 PM
:confused:

Lignum
11th September 2006, 12:17 AM
The majority of points made on cost, difficulty of use/time to set up and the lack of any advantage over a biscuit joiner are usually made by those who have either never seen a Domino in use or have never used a Domino. The praise comes from those who have bought and used one.

Exactly, couldnt have put it better myself:D All of us Domi owners were the same in the begining. I couldnt believe someone would be stupid enough to pay $1200 for a "Powertool" Now its the "total amnesia" about the price as im one of the lucky few who own the "Worlds Greatest Powertool" that was once held by the Elu MOF.

I gave my old Elu Biscuit joiner to my son and sold my Lamello on EBay. I would never go back to biscuits

Same, i sold my Dewalt a week after owning Domi as i knew i would NEVER use such a crap way of joining timber again.

craigb
11th September 2006, 12:22 AM
I think it comes down to; if you are a pro woodworker who does high end pieces, well the you wouldn't be without a Domino because it would save you so much time.

If you are just a weekend warrior (like me) the amount of time it takes you to cut a M&T is neither here not there. It's just part of the journey. Learning how to do it properly and consistently is one of the reasons we are woodworkers and not wood machinests.

This is mo.

Lignum
11th September 2006, 12:38 AM
Just ask Steve, he is a self confessed weekend warrior who now owns one and is in love with his little Highness:)

And it appears from reading other Festo forum threads, this forum and talking to the dealer i got mine from, those who purchase the Domi are fairly well split down the middle between weekend wariors and the cabinet shops.

Owning a Domi ISNT all about doing things fast in a production enviorment (although it dose:D ) but its all about experiencing the King of the Power tools weaving magic in helping you construct furniture like you have never done before.

And if you are a weekend warrior you will be doing things to such a high standard you will blow your self away. This is more than a remarkable product, its the new King of the workshop

No one is being forced to buy one, but have anyone of you Domi-Doubters out their wonder why all us Domi owners carnt stop raving and defending her???????????????????? Think about it ;)

patr
11th September 2006, 12:47 AM
Learning how to do it properly and consistently is one of the reasons we are woodworkers and not wood machinests.

Craig

Thats a very fair comment but at what point, and with what powered tool, do you go from woodworker to wood machinist? I used to spend all of my weekends with my trusty Sandvik hand saw and Record No4 until my beloved bought me a Black and Decker D720 drill with the jigsaw, circular saw and orbital sander attachments ( hands up those who remember that magnificent set of tools! :) ).

I believe that purchase was the beginning of my transition from useless woodworker to useless (but much faster) wood machinist. :D

Regards
Pat

"I want to die quietly in my sleep like my Uncle did. Not screaming and shouting like his passengers"

Flowboy
11th September 2006, 05:41 AM
Hi Joseph,
Thought I'd buy into this

Domino Dowels: $121/box (which is between 500 and 1800 depending on size. You won't know which will be the one you use most till you try the system in your situation.)

Cutters: Between $45 and $55 each. Again, story as above. They seem to last well. You should allow about $1650 to set up the Domino properly. This includes accessories and the Starter's kit, which gives you all necessary cutters and a plethora of dowels.

Ongoing Costs (other): A 3 year warranty including 48hrs pickup/return (in most cases) gaurantee.

My opinion: Its worth it. Stronger joints, more flexible with regard to applications (e.g. Picture frames with 15mm width and mirror frames.) Can make your own dominos in the same stock you are working with. Can cut tenons on a TS, round the edges and fit them to a Domino mortise, at any size!!
Gives you the ability to think more about what you are trying to achieve rather than saying "Oh well I'm cutting mortises now, I'll have to use tenons of this type and size."
Option of deciding how strong a board to board joinf, or M&T will be rather than having it decided for you.
Importantly, gives you another high precision option with regard to many other joint set ups, giving you evan greater control and personalisation of your project.
Don't get me wrong, I am a M&T man, but you just can't ignore the powerful way the Domino does things. You make the call on what you'll do.
As far as set up, when I bought mine I had the house retarded ant set it up (me) :rolleyes: and it took 5 minutes to make the first joint. And boy was it a good one! It could not be simpler.

So, in short. from a guy who is extreeemely sceptical and hard to please,

The Domino, take the Domino!

Oh, and incidentally, if you don't like it:eek: , people are queueing up around her to buy.

Regards and happy choosing,

Rob.

dan_tom
11th September 2006, 08:51 AM
I haven't posted any photos, yet, but the Domino is great. Went for it's first test run on the weekend. Tom pushed in first and got the first go :mad: . But then again he did read the instructions, whereas I went straight to the tool itself.:D

We have a biscuit joiner and a Domino and so far, the Domino has saved us heaps of time on the hall stand we are currently making. In a few minutes, all of the loose tenon joins were done - zip zip zip!! The base is all glued up with Purbond and ready to go now. That would have taken us a lot longer previously - even with the two of us making each M and T.

The tool itself feels quite different in your hands compared to an operational biscuit joiner (maybe you could watch the interactive DVD on the Domino - it wiggles from side to side).

We ordered ours from www.idealtools.com.au and you get a 12 month subscription of AWR thrown in.

Cheers
Danielle

Lignum
11th September 2006, 09:15 AM
I haven't posted any photos, yet, but the Domino is great. Went for it's first test run on the weekend. Tom pushed in first and got the first go :mad: . But then again he did read the instructions, whereas I went straight to the tool itself.:D

If you were smart you should have had a plunge while he was reading the instructions;) And we need to see photos, plenty of photos:D

havenoideaatall
11th September 2006, 09:27 AM
I'm with Lignum, if woodworking is your livelihood, then you need one. In fact 1200-1400 is not a lot of money for a capital expenditure in my opinion for a tradie especially if it revolutionises your production processes where the old time = money equation comes into play. If you were starting a going concern you might well buy one instead of a few tools and be up and running.

There are people spending much more on tools. A software developer might spend that in software tools in a day. Look at what someone might spend on a CMS, or a decent compressor.

However, as a hobbyist, I want to learn a few old and hard skills, I want to be a woodworker and certainly not a machinist.

Haveno

journeyman Mick
11th September 2006, 11:24 AM
Joseph,
if you're mainly building kitchens and working with sheet materials (which I understand may be the case from previous posts) then go for the BJ. If/when you branch out into solid timber furniture then buy the Domi, it will pay for itself very quickly. I don't own one, but had a play with one at a tool store and 5 minutes convinced me. If I get a job that requires a stack of M&T's then I'll buy one, no problems.

Just like you wouldn't want to cut full sheets of board without a full size slider in a commercial situation you won't want to use anything other than either a dedicated slot morticer and a seperate end tenonner machine or a domi to do M&T joints in a commercial situation. The domi would be way cheaper and take up less space than the two machines and, unless you were making 100's of something would probably be faster too.

Mick

Wongo
11th September 2006, 11:41 AM
A Domino or 16 biscuit joiners?

Bodgy, c'mon mate you know better than that. A $100 BJ isn't a good BJ. None of those XU1 please.

I have the Porta-cable biscuit joiner. It is the next best thing after the domino. I like it very much.

I think I will eventually own both the biscuit joiner and the domino. I am no a pro but I am making enough of furniture to justify the need.

I will definitely keep using the biscuit joiner though. It is very useful and quicker when joining panels.

Lignum
11th September 2006, 12:01 PM
I think I will eventually own both the biscuit joiner and the domino. I am no a pro but I am making enough of furniture to justify the need.

I will definitely keep using the biscuit joiner though. It is very useful and quicker when joining panels.

Wongo when are you going to put the deposit down?

And i will bet you $2 that once you get your very own Domi you will NEVER use your Portacable again;)

Wongo
11th September 2006, 12:12 PM
Wongo when are you going to put the deposit down?

I am not sure. I need to print some money first.:o

And i will bet you $2 that once you get your very own Domi you will NEVER use your Portacable again;)

OK your on.:cool:

I am making a desk-top at the moment. 10 boards, 1.7m long, 150+ biscuit and 300+ cuts. I think biscuit is the better option. It is quicker and cheaper. If I only had the domino then sure but if I had both I will use the BJ for the job.

Lignum
11th September 2006, 01:39 PM
I am making a desk-top at the moment. 10 boards, 1.7m long, 150+ biscuit and 300+ cuts. I think biscuit is the better option. It is quicker and cheaper. If I only had the domino then sure but if I had both I will use the BJ for the job.

So after laying out your boards you are marking with a pencil a line every 100mm for each bisc, am i right? Well when you get your very own Domi to play with you can throw the pencil in the bin and just use the indexing pins starting in 25mm from the edge (fixed indexing pin) then every 206mm with your indexing pin on your wings and that will drop your plunge count down to 90 saving 60 cuts to start with:D

And because the Dominoes are nice and long and fat when you go to clamp it up unlike the pizzy little biscuits the top is very stable and soild so you dont need to put clamps on top as well to stop it springing upwards... more time (and clamps saved)

Also how many times have you biscuited a table top or large desk top with biscuits and when dry, just scrape off the glue and give it a light "touch up" with some sandpaper because it is already "dead flat" and almost ready to polish? Never;) That great table you just made how long did it take to plane/sand it perfectly flat after you took it out of the clamps. If it was Dominoed you would have been looking at no more than 10 minutes tops(depending on how good the timber comes out of the thicknesser)

Domino (doggies) V Biscuits (pies) for large panels cannot be compared, its a no contest as one is a pretender and will never again be taken serious.

I might just have to wander down to the $2 shop tomorrow and have a look around and see what i can buy for myself:D

Bleedin Thumb
11th September 2006, 01:40 PM
Bodgy, c'mon mate you know better than that. A $100 BJ isn't a good BJ. None of those XU1 please.

I can vouch for that I bought a cheap Ryobi BJ ...POS.

Wongo
11th September 2006, 02:48 PM
Lignum, I don’t agree with you but I am not going to argue with you either.

underused
11th September 2006, 04:37 PM
I own a Lamello bj. These are really smooth and accurate (makes the porter cable look cheap:D just kidding wongo:p)

If the Domino had have been around when I bought my lamello, I think I would have bought the domi. Since I have the Lamello, the domi isnt top of the list, of even close at the moment.

Auld Bassoon
11th September 2006, 05:18 PM
Just ask Steve, he is a self confessed weekend warrior who now owns one and is in love with his little Highness:)
;)

Yep :) A client came around yesterday and he thought that the frame for the buffet he's ordered was already glued up ;) until I pulled it apart (with the help of a few well placed mallet blows).

I morticed ten rails and four stiles (80 mortices) in a little over an hour - and it all fits together very well indeed. I did check the diagonals, but it was all millimetre perfect :) :) :)

Domi is just great for even a W/E warrior as it helps me with accuracy, and if a Bassoon can use it, anyone can :rolleyes:

Lignum
11th September 2006, 05:23 PM
It will be interesting to see which direction Lamello go with their machine, because its so one dimentional and the Domino does everything (and so much more) so i doubt the market will exist for them anymore.

Given the $$$$ for a Lamello is up around the Domino their wouldnt be a sane person in the world who would choose one over a Domi now.

As soon as the likes of Makita and Dewalt somehow manage to replicate the concept of Domi and offer a sub-$400 machine then i would bet everything i own that the biscuit joiner will die overnight. The difference is chalk and cheese or night and day. One is a brilliant all rounder and one is an outdated relic of the past:)

Yep :) A client came around yesterday and he thought that the frame for the buffet he's ordered was already glued up ;) until I pulled it apart (with the help of a few well placed mallet blows).

Same here:D Ive got stuff everywhere just Domied together and no glue:D Try doing that with sloppy biscuts:D

sea dragon
11th September 2006, 07:30 PM
You really have to hand it to Lignum.
I do not think I have ever seen anyone so recurringly enthusiastic about something. He makes some visiting American Mormons seem like Doubting Thomases in terms of comparative conviction.
I do not do enough tenons yet to even contemplate it, so for a while, the argument will remain academic.
As a significant aside, I was talking with a fine furniture cabinetmaker today. He has bought his Dom in only the last week.
His view, for what it is worth? He was resentful that there was such a tool, because it enabled the less skilled to make fantastic joints and with minimal learning time. Good one, Domi.
Lignum, thanks for sharing your appreciation instead of allowing what you can achieve with yours being shrouded in secrecy and mystery.

patr
11th September 2006, 07:47 PM
He was resentful that there was such a tool, because it enabled the less skilled to make fantastic joints and with minimal learning time. Good one, Domi.

Sea dragon

That just about takes the biscuit....joiner and consigns it to the for sale columns on EBay!

Your Cabinetmaker has obviously met me because his comments decribe precisely why I bought a Domi. I am skill challenged but have made furniture which I never thought possible. If that makes me a wood machinist then hurrah! for wood machinists say I.:D

Regards
Pat

Auld Bassoon
11th September 2006, 07:49 PM
As a significant aside, I was talking with a fine furniture cabinetmaker today. He has bought his Dom in only the last week.
His view, for what it is worth? He was resentful that there was such a tool, because it enabled the less skilled to make fantastic joints and with minimal learning time. Good one, Domi.

For all this cabinetmaker's skill (I assume), it's a shame that he feels that way about a toolmaker providing the means to produce better furniture, etc.

If a tool allows one to produce a better outcome then, surely, it must be regarded as a good tool. Domi is so good it even allows heathens like myself to produce spot-on joinery :)

By way of comparison, think back to the late nineteenth century, and look at the prices then charged by the likes of Norris or Spiers, et al for their splendid tools. A good smoothing plane would then cost perhaps ten weeks' wages for a master cabinetmaker. Did they sell - yes but only to those who could afford them and, more to the point, understand what they could do with them.

With Domi, an admittedly expensive tool, it brings a level of professionalism to any would-be cabinet or furniture maker, at leats as far as the carcass is concerned. It does not, however, remove the need for proper timber stock preparation, planning and design, so it does not mean "dumbing down" the craft/artisanship of making nice things, it just makes it a whole lot easier at the basic frame stage.

I so nearly bought a biscuit joiner a few months ago - how glad I am now that I did not!

patr
11th September 2006, 09:14 PM
Steve
You have hit the nail on the head with your thoughtful and logical reply.

If you go into any fine cabinet makers shop, and there are many who justify that tag, you will find spray guns, dust extractors, circular saws, planer thicknessers and drills. In other words anything that can connect to the national grid.

If I can do joints with Domi that can pass the eagle eye of the Beloved in contrast to the previous, " the gap you can see My Love is to allow for the movement of the wood", shuffle then I am a content woodmachinist. Which is what 99.9% of all who frequent this wonderful Forum are in one form or another.

Plug in Simou! ...And lets make that table in half the time it took in BD. (Before Domi).

Pat

joseph84
11th September 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Joseph,
Thought I'd buy into this

Domino Dowels: $121/box (which is between 500 and 1800 depending on size. You won't know which will be the one you use most till you try the system in your situation.)

Cutters: Between $45 and $55 each. Again, story as above. They seem to last well. You should allow about $1650 to set up the Domino properly. This includes accessories and the Starter's kit, which gives you all necessary cutters and a plethora of dowels.

Ongoing Costs (other): A 3 year warranty including 48hrs pickup/return (in most cases) gaurantee.

My opinion: Its worth it. Stronger joints, more flexible with regard to applications (e.g. Picture frames with 15mm width and mirror frames.) Can make your own dominos in the same stock you are working with. Can cut tenons on a TS, round the edges and fit them to a Domino mortise, at any size!!
Gives you the ability to think more about what you are trying to achieve rather than saying "Oh well I'm cutting mortises now, I'll have to use tenons of this type and size."
Option of deciding how strong a board to board joinf, or M&T will be rather than having it decided for you.
Importantly, gives you another high precision option with regard to many other joint set ups, giving you evan greater control and personalisation of your project.
Don't get me wrong, I am a M&T man, but you just can't ignore the powerful way the Domino does things. You make the call on what you'll do.
As far as set up, when I bought mine I had the house retarded ant set it up (me) :rolleyes: and it took 5 minutes to make the first joint. And boy was it a good one! It could not be simpler.

So, in short. from a guy who is extreeemely sceptical and hard to please,

The Domino, take the Domino!

Oh, and incidentally, if you don't like it:eek: , people are queueing up around her to buy.

Regards and happy choosing,

Rob.

Thank you Rob, you've hit the nail on the head. I knew how much the domino will cost me but i wanted to know how much the domino dowels, cutters, etc will cost me each time i need to buy some more.

I dunno, im still not convinced. Give me an example where a BJ cant do a job of a domino??

joseph84
11th September 2006, 10:14 PM
Joseph,
if you're mainly building kitchens and working with sheet materials (which I understand may be the case from previous posts) then go for the BJ. If/when you branch out into solid timber furniture then buy the Domi, it will pay for itself very quickly. I don't own one, but had a play with one at a tool store and 5 minutes convinced me. If I get a job that requires a stack of M&T's then I'll buy one, no problems.

Just like you wouldn't want to cut full sheets of board without a full size slider in a commercial situation you won't want to use anything other than either a dedicated slot morticer and a seperate end tenonner machine or a domi to do M&T joints in a commercial situation. The domi would be way cheaper and take up less space than the two machines and, unless you were making 100's of something would probably be faster too.

Mick

Mick,
I mainly produce kitchens but thinking of making the odd furniture for a client. Though i think your right a BJ is going to be better suited for me

Just a thought, can you make your own domino dowels?

Lignum
11th September 2006, 10:36 PM
I dunno, im still not convinced. Give me an example where a BJ cant do a job of a domino??

Joseph as the forums recurringly enthusiastic answer to Eric Olthwait:rolleyes: I will ease up being the resident Domino Bore and just tell you to do a search in/on the countless Festool/Domino threads devoted to what Domi can do that a biscuit joiner can only dream of doing, and that is a lot ;)

patr
11th September 2006, 10:58 PM
Scene at the Outhwait house in Darkest Oz

"Eh Bonsoir Lignum. Le repas est tres bon ce soir n'est ce que pas?"
"Oui c'est une repas Magnifique."
"Ou est le petite homme qui desire nos attention?"
" C'est Joseph, Patr, il est un bonne homme mais une peu simple."

"Lignum, Patr, Steve and Rob can you please tell me for the umpth time why t'Domino is better than t'Biscuit Joiner wi'out me readin all the many threads on t'Forum? And why are you all speaking French?"

"Non. Allez a Maison Lamello et achete une bisquite joiner et ferme le......"
:rolleyes:

Happy days ripping yarns rather than wood.:D

Flowboy
12th September 2006, 05:24 AM
Hi Joseph,

I sort of thought I'd summed it up, but yes you can make your own dominos in any timber you like. It's quite easy really. See my posts on the last couple of pages of the "Dominos" thread and also, (importantly), look at Rockers "22.5 degree joint using Dominos" under the "general woodwork thread.
Seems to me that if your making kitchens, a bj will do it for you, if you want to make more robust kitchens with more "bells and whistles" at no real added cost (possibly even a saving) and in equal or less time, then the Domino gives that edge.
But I'm one of those whose skill level has been Dominetically engineered.:D
Just one more thing. I mentioned meeting the Festool rep yesterday, who mentioned new enhancements which are in progress. Whether or not these can be retrofitted, this shows a product just starting its development life. You would have to say that the bj is a useful tool which has no further to go in its development.

Regards and whatever you do will be right for you, you just asked us a question.

Rob

eddie the eagle
12th September 2006, 07:47 AM
Joseph,

To echo Mick's comments, I would buy one if I didn't have a slot mortiser or a biscuit jointer. The Biscuit jointer gives you a bit more slop in the joint to align things, but this is a blessing and a disadvantage.

I've already got a quality biscuit jointer, and a slot mortiser hanging off a jointer, with tooling already invested in this, so I'll keep on using these.

If I didn't have either, then I'd probably buy a Domino machine.

In a few years, I'd imagine that there'll be generic dominos on the market, that will bring the operating costs way down.

My experience with seeing the thing in action was slightly different - it's a quality machine, but the Festo saleslady at the trade show held at Darling Harbour reconnected the machine after I'd spent a few minutes looking at the cutter mechanism with my hands all over the business end of the machine (no, it didn't start but I d@mn near dropped the thing in fear as I put it down quick smart) and then showed me how it worked by pointing the thing at me and pressing the trigger ("so I could see the cutter oscillate".) I politely suggested an alternative location for the machine or employment for her (which both could have involved identical actions) and kept on walking.

This is nothing on the unit that looks to be a quality piece of equipment that I'd buy if I didn't have money tied up in a slot mortiser and a biscuit cutter already. (Makita or Lamello are preferred trade machines in my experience.)

You really have to hand it to Lignum.
... I was talking with a fine furniture cabinetmaker today. He has bought his Dom in only the last week.
His view, for what it is worth? He was resentful that there was such a tool, because it enabled the less skilled to make fantastic joints and with minimal learning time. ...

For what it's worth, I had a really good chuckle at this because I used to work with an old German tradesman, who said that exactly the same things were said about:

1) dowel guides, when they were introduced (it meant that anybody could dowel two bits of wood properly and took away from the tradesman's skill in getting the alignment right,) and;

2) biscuit cutters, when they were introduced (trades thought that this meant that Joe Bloggs could get a corner joint accurate and diminished the percieved skill of a cabbie.)

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Cheers,

eddie

Honorary Bloke
12th September 2006, 07:58 AM
Really, I hesitate to stir this pot (no, actually, I don't) but I think the wrong question has been asked. "Should I buy a BJ or a Domi?" is like asking "Should I buy a banana or a motorcycle?" There is really no sound basis for comparison. One does one job and the other another.

I think PatR nailed it: " C'est Joseph, Patr, il est un bonne homme mais une peu simple." :D

Flowboy
12th September 2006, 08:10 AM
Hi Joseph,

Me again (gotta stop meeting like this)
You asked for something a Domino can do that a bj can't.
At 4:30AM this morning, I decided to make a table to sit beside my bludging couch. It will be small, (about 700x400 depending on resources) and will consist of two shelves, the top one level with the top of the legs and the timber for the top about 25mm deep. Therefore all the stress will be on these joints. If I were to use M&T joints it would involve some strange procedures. I could use dowels and spend some time matching holes (even with a guide) and a a bj doesn't enter the equation... or I can use the Domi, selecting my own strength of joint 10mm, 8mm 6mm or 5mm, or use a wider cut on the Domi and use my own 32mm dominos. This whole procedure, from cut to glue up and finish will take me 4 hours max. And the nice thing is, I know it will work, be strong and finished on time.

Incidentally, as the Domi has three width cut settings, you can have the slop that a biscuit gives (if it is a comfort zone to you), but still with the strength that a domino provides. Let's face it a 10mmx25mmx50mm tenon in a 25mm deep mortise is a tad stronger than a 4mmx15mmx20mm biscuit in an approx 8mmx25mm slot.

Problem I see is that you have already made your mind up and we're just puffin muffins, so you can justify the biscuit jointer purchase to yourself.

Regards

Rob

Lignum
12th September 2006, 09:02 AM
:D
At 4:30AM this morning, I decided to make a table to sit beside my bludging couch.

Out of bed at 4.30am to make a little table:D

Problem I see is that you have already made your mind up and we're just puffin muffins, so you can justify the biscuit jointer purchase to yourself.

Agree. All those out their who have the constant urge to try to tell the world that Domi is just ok but their BJ will do because it can do everything just as good at a fraction of the price.... Well good on em, we dont want you in the Brotherhood anyway:p Stick with your little peice of compressed beech and leave the Domis to us real enlightend Darksiders;)

Flowboy
12th September 2006, 09:15 AM
No Lignum, unfortunately I am the "Rust that never sleeps". :( Fortunately, the neighbours are deaf, or will be within the next 7 days!!

Also, think I've got another take on the small bits, but I need some time to chase it up. Still think its possible.:confused: :eek: :cool:

patr
12th September 2006, 09:16 AM

Rob

You really are a Gentleman. Me? I'm just an old soldier with years of spotting bait merchants a mile off.........

Which reminds me of Cpl Gregory who knocked on my door and said in his sonorous Geordie tones,

"Sir, theres an Officer and a Gentleman to see you. Shall I show the pair in?" Insolent Bugger! :D

Pat

joseph84
12th September 2006, 06:37 PM
I reckon flowboy has convinced me. If this guy wakes up 4.30 in the morning to use the domino its gotta be good!!

I think i'll forget about the BJ and go for the domino, i've done a search and cant find one negative comment about it.

Auld Bassoon
12th September 2006, 06:42 PM
You won't regret it for a moment Joseph! In fact I'll wager that once you have it, you'll be giving yourself face-slaps at frequent intervals :eek: for not getting one sooner :D :D

Flowboy
12th September 2006, 07:25 PM
Hi Joseph,

Good call, you won't regret it. It took me about a week to start to fully appreciate the Domino's flexibility and power, as I was in the middle of a complex project and trying to master several new concepts at once. The quality and speed of construction of your work will be positively affected. Hope I did not offend you in any way.
Oh! and if you ask nicely Simou might show you the secret handshake.

Regards,

Rob

Flowboy
12th September 2006, 07:26 PM
Steve, will Joseph have to wear lederhosen while slapping himself??:)

Auld Bassoon
12th September 2006, 07:53 PM
Steve, will Joseph have to wear lederhosen while slapping himself??:)

I think not - just wear lederhosen in public for a minimum of thirty days by way of penance for such a penumbral touch of hereticism :eek: :D :D

Lignum
12th September 2006, 09:41 PM
I think not - just wear lederhosen in public for a minimum of thirty days by way of penance for such a penumbral touch of hereticism :eek: :D :D

He can always tape a fly swatter to the end of Domi and give himself Ten Minutes of Self Flagedomillation once a day for a month;)

joseph84
13th September 2006, 04:15 PM
Well seeing now i will be purchasing a domino i think it's only fair i be shown the secret handshake ;)

Flowboy
13th September 2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Joseph,

It may be a bit late, but I thought these pics might demonstrate some of what we are talking about.

Pic #1 shows two pieces of Red Box dry joined together using 8x40 dominos and suspended in mid air by a plastic hand I keep for this purpose.

Pic #2 shows the same boards dry jointed lying on the bench. I think you can see what we mean by "flat joint".

Regards

Rob

Lignum
13th September 2006, 04:29 PM
Well seeing now i will be purchasing a domino i think it's only fair i be shown the secret handshake ;)

Thats funny:D We have heard it all before, some of you sneaky mob "pretending" to get a Domi just so you can find out the secret handshake. Well Mr Joseph you carnt fool us, we need proof:p

Oh and Rob, dose Domi trim fingernails:rolleyes: :D

Wongo
13th September 2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah I have just bought one too. :p Group hug. :D

:D :D :D

Flowboy
13th September 2006, 06:38 PM
Well!!

Dip me in tar, roll me in pubic hair and call me Derryn!!!

Welcome Wongo!!

Let the bells ring out and kill the fatted calf!! Two converts in as many days.

Regards,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
13th September 2006, 06:45 PM
Good on you Scott! Welcome to the club :D

Did you get the two stops as well? - you'll find that they're virtually essential.

Rocker
13th September 2006, 06:54 PM
I claim the credit - I sent him the Domino version of the Rocker CD:D

Rocker

Auld Bassoon
13th September 2006, 07:17 PM
Maybe we of the Brotherhood should form a corporate entity and become a Festool dealer - then sell the prized goodies to the rest of youse lot :D

Lignum
13th September 2006, 07:18 PM
I want to see a photo of Wongo with his Domo in his hands in his shed;) Why am i suspicious:rolleyes: :D

patr
13th September 2006, 07:22 PM
Well done Wongo and welcome.

What was the DAC (Domino Admirers Club), has now been overtaken by the DOC (Domino Owners Club).

Pat

Roger of the Raj will be next.

Flowboy
13th September 2006, 08:18 PM
Pat, are you sure DOC isn't Department of Corrections?

Lignum, its a plastic hand I tell you!

Regards,

Rob

patr
13th September 2006, 08:29 PM
Rob
Thats a tricky one. I thought of DIC ( Domino Incomers Club) but it just didn't seem right.:D

Pat

I will ask my friend Gerald Whinfrey. He will know if DOC is 112B or not 112B.

Lignum
13th September 2006, 08:54 PM
Along with Phipps, Gerald will tell you its definitely 112B, and if he is wrong it definitely will be his last case

Across the Andes by Domino

Wongo
13th September 2006, 11:21 PM
I was just kidding, settle down you lot.:D
:eek:
:p
:o
:(

patr
13th September 2006, 11:54 PM
I was just kidding, settle down you lot

Then in your case its probably DIC and not DOC.:rolleyes:

Has Kevin taken possesion of the Claw of Domiland

scooter
13th September 2006, 11:59 PM
I was just kidding, settle down you lot.:D
:eek:
:p
:o
:(

:D :D

Flowboy
14th September 2006, 08:40 AM
Here it is Lignum, the Festool Compleat Fingernail Restoration System.
(P/N FN10)
Comes with all you see here, also available with an optional Nail Polish Applicator (P/N FN10-P). Saves time with the patented "Accurate Cutical Burnisher" or ACB for short. ( I didn't get this.)

Regards,

Rob

Lignum
14th September 2006, 09:03 AM
Thats the perfect system for your weekly manicure ;)

Even Lady Chiddingfold would be impressed

Flowboy
14th September 2006, 09:27 AM
Hi all,
Recently, I have noticed that the markings on some of the Dominos are, in fact, upside down. Thus I have begun to collect these as I feel they will be a collectors item in the future and can, of course be used as reversed dominos in joints which so require. I even managed to get a systainer from my friendly Festool dealer on which all the clips are actually on the wrong side (reversed) so I can store them. And it only cost me double the price!!Can you believe such luck?? And remember it's my idea.

Regards

The hoarder

patr
14th September 2006, 06:29 PM
Mein Liebe Hoarder

Der Dominos und Systainers in ihnen kollection ist die, "Nur for Export zum Sudern Landes", modelle und die richtige modelle fur Australien und Neu Zeeland. Die ruckseite Domino markings und Systainer Gruneboxenfixentabs in ihre hoardings cupboard ist korrekt for ihre part ob der World. Fur uns Nordeners sie sind "upside down".

Du bist ein viktim of eine Festool Konnmeister. Und sie hat bezahlt "twice the price"?

Mein Gott, ein born jedes minute ob der tag!:D

Captain Snetterton would never have fallen for this dastardly trick.

Auld Bassoon
14th September 2006, 07:00 PM
I should probably say a few "Hail Marys" and an odd "Donner und Blitzen" for good measure for saying this, but I've taken to lopping the ends off some Dominoes that are inserted perilously deep to the outside of the innocent rails into which they are being inserted to avoid "push through" - who said 3mm of timber was enough?

Flowboy
14th September 2006, 07:01 PM
Ah yes Pat, but Captain Snetterton wore his undies on the outside, makes all the difference.

Also, newbie Dominati could be called:
"Domino Wannahaves Entering Eternal Bliss" ( Dweeb for short)

Only a thought

patr
14th September 2006, 07:45 PM
Rob

Methinks you are confusing Capt Snetterton with Tompkinson who began wearing his underpants on the outside after School Bully said one Laundry day,

" Oik. These pants have more skidmarks than Dunlops test track."

Which really did upset him and gave Superman the idea.

The 20 mile hop route will be marked by 10x50 dominos.

Flowboy
15th September 2006, 07:59 AM
Hi Steve,

I think you meant to put your last post in the FMT/Domi thread, but you have highlighted an issue (one of very few) which has vexed me about the Domino. One of the few things I would like to see altered is the ability to set your own depth of cut, for just the reason you have stated. In my opinion, a tool helps me manipulate the project, you don't manipulate the project to suit the tool. Otherwise, your designs may not work through no fault of your own.
In the pics that come with the manual, there's a domino sticking out the bottom of a workpiece. The solution is "change the depth of the workpiece, or choose another depth of cut". In many cases you can read this as, use a different sized domino. Its a black and white solution for a very grey area. This is why I like having the ability to produce full tenons quickly (with the FMT), which match the depth I require according to the domino. I can cut a 10x20 tenon and use a 20mm DOC.

Regards,

Rob

Lignum
15th September 2006, 09:48 AM
but I've taken to lopping the ends off some Dominoes that are inserted perilously deep to the outside of the innocent rails into which they are being inserted to avoid "push through" - who said 3mm of timber was enough?

I lop of heaps mainly when im "Through Domi-ing" and fixing "Stuff-ups:o " but the Depth guage has never been an issue as all the combinations are catered for.

As Rob said it would be good to be able to manualy adjust it but thats the trouble with Domi as she is just so dam good we all expect her to be able to do so much more than what it was initially designed for.

If i could wave a wand and add some features they would be

Ability to to adjust the lateral setting from Zero to 35mm. Zero being the same as a single dowel hole.
The fixed adjustable pin becoming variable alowing 5mm in from the side instead of 24mm.
Manualy adjustable depth.I wonder if in the future Herr Festool will include a few alterations :)

"A Domino wouldnt have been any use in constructing a glider out of toilet roll holders" - Herr Vogel. Furious head prison guard.