PDA

View Full Version : Who has got the smallest shed?

joseph84
10th September 2006, 10:48 PM
Just wondering, who reckons out there they have the smallest shed?
Mines 8m by 4m. Any one have smaller?

Cheers

Joseph

craigb
10th September 2006, 11:08 PM
I win hands down.

Just ask some of the members who've visited. :p

I'd kill for 32 sqm :D

Bodgy
10th September 2006, 11:18 PM
Whats the prize?

Whatever, it's mine.

I have 2.8 x 1.9 m.

Beat that!

All my machinery is outside under tarps excepting the bandsaw and router table.

Totally darkside inside.

What do I win? Gotta be worth a Hammer bandsaw, Brendan! Only the little one, I'm not greedy. I'll pay the freight.

PS I have witnesses (and the roof leaks!!)

Dangermouse
10th September 2006, 11:30 PM
Crikey, I thought mine was small - 2.8 by 3.9
That's with a triton workcentre, router table, thicknesser, bench, and three shelving units.

soundman
10th September 2006, 11:33 PM
There are a few working in a 10 x 10 garden shed ( feet that is)
Ruffly rustic is one.

If I just wanted to do wood turning I recon I could make a 10 x10 quite comfortable.

cheers

Lignum
10th September 2006, 11:33 PM
Whats the prize?

What do I win? Gotta be worth a Hammer bandsaw

Are they giving away that crap hammer product now:rolleyes:

craigb
10th September 2006, 11:44 PM
Whats the prize?

Whatever, it's mine.

I have 2.8 x 1.9 m.

Beat that!

All my machinery is outside under tarps excepting the bandsaw and router table.

Totally darkside inside.

What do I win? Gotta be worth a Hammer bandsaw, Brendan! Only the little one, I'm not greedy. I'll pay the freight.

PS I have witnesses (and the roof leaks!!)

O.K Bodg old son, maybe your shed is smaller than mine. :)

I have a 4m x 4m space. In that I have:

A 2m x .75 bench
A 14 " bandsaw
A 6" jointer
A Table Saw
A Router Table
A 12" thicknesser
A Drill Press, and
An SCMS.

I spend a lot of time moving stuff around. :rolleyes:

Actually it's not that bad, the only thing I can't do is procees panels.

When I retire, I plan on having about 90 sqm. :D

Harry72
11th September 2006, 12:40 AM
Dam and I thought I had it bad with 12x4.85m!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th September 2006, 01:02 AM
There can be no question about it... it's the bloke with this toolbox. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=37367) :p

Wild Dingo
11th September 2006, 02:16 AM
Stewart!!! ;) His is FRIGGIN tiny!!! :eek: Watch the video if you dont believe me! I near freaked when I saw his space... how ANYONE manages in anything less than a double garage is beyond me!

Well I did many years ago... but back then I only had a handful of power tools and not to many more hand tools no benches and nothing much else and I used her highnesses laundry as a workshop... boy did she hate me then! :p Nowadays if I have less than a double garage Im screaming for room and even with the 9mtr x 6mtr one Ive presently got I was screaming till I saw Stewarts and now Im smilin like the cheshire cat! :cool:

Redgy
11th September 2006, 08:03 AM
Stewart!!! ;) His is FRIGGIN tiny!!! :eek: Watch the video if you dont believe me!

Where would we find the video?

Wood Butcher
11th September 2006, 08:50 AM
Where would we find the video?
Links to Ubeaut Forum's Woodworking Videos (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35496)

Look at post #8 "StuSanctuary"

havenoideaatall
11th September 2006, 09:13 AM
how ANYONE manages in anything less than a double garage is beyond me!

Single garage. Have to measure it - what 3m x 6m..?

RufflyRustic
11th September 2006, 09:35 AM
Like Soundman said, my solar kiln is tiny, and after reducing the amount of working space with storage, junk, shelving, etc, I figure I actually work (on rainy days) in a space totally about 1 m square , but that doesn't really compare with Stuart's setup :cool:

cheers
Wendy

Timmy
11th September 2006, 12:03 PM
Well, I was going to post some photo's of my small shed, but small is now "small" is a relative thing. Mine 3.1 x 5.2

1.5x1 Bench
Drop saw
Shelves
3.3x1 Wood stacking shelf
Table saw (gets dragged around alot...needs wheels)
Bandsaw (old 14')
Combination planer thicknesser
Large dust extractor. Working on this now!
Lathe (under wood shelf)Actually, love to see some photo's of some space saving ideas here?

Cheers
Tim

Driver
11th September 2006, 12:03 PM
Ahem!

In the picture, behind the distinguished-looking woodworking person, you will observe my "shed". It is 3.8 m long x 1.3 m deep x 1.5 m high. In order to use any of my tools, I have to extract them from the "shed".

I claim the prize for the smallest shed! (What is the prize, by the way? Nothing too large, I fervently hope).

Col

Glenn_M
11th September 2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys,
I was feeling miserable with my 6 x 3.6m shed stuffed with tools/junk/timber/beer.

But I guess as with most things in life - as bad as you think you have it there are always people worse off than you.

Tonight I fill go home and look at my space in a new light and be grateful for the vast shed I have:)

I think Timmys idea of some space saving tips would be useful to everyone as no shed is *ever* big enough.

Cheers all,

Wild Dingo
11th September 2006, 02:48 PM
Col mate Stews still takes the cake! You have room to move! I mean Stew would be green with envy seein that empty space around you :p

Now Wendy... seein as your a wee tiny gnomelike sheila a 1mtr square area would be more than ample and probably equates to the same spacial area as my 9mtr x 6mtr shed does for me :o ... me bein a huge teddybear of a bloke that is! ;) all 5ft 6in of me! :D

Seeing all these tiny sheds yous lot have makes me feel like a veritble king with all the space I have... well I would have... if I didnt need more space that is!! :eek: theres really nothing worse than having to step back a mtre or so to knock against a bench and havin to walk several steps to whack yer elbows against something really is the pits :rolleyes: and if I was any taller Id be belting my noggin against the timber storage loft :eek: but well theres simply never enough room... and I really must do something about a larger timber storage area the specky little plastic carport thingy I bought and whacked up the other week outside the shed at 6mtrs x 3mtrs just doesnt cut the mustard Im afraid... I keep fillin the sodding thing! :p And once I get those other tools I need... and what about when I start building the boat eh? :eek: ... well... see??? I need a bigger shed!! :D and a farm hay shed for the wood an another 40ft sea tainer for the finishin room as her bloody highness is resisting every attempt I make to toss everything in the present one into a skip!! :mad: flamin woman! :rolleyes:

I do like the sound of those spacesaving ideas though... great idea! :cool:

Stuart
11th September 2006, 02:58 PM
Ahem!

In the picture, behind the distinguished-looking woodworking person, you will observe my "shed". It is 3.8 m long x 1.3 m deep x 1.5 m high. In order to use any of my tools, I have to extract them from the "shed".

I claim the prize for the smallest shed! (What is the prize, by the way? Nothing too large, I fervently hope).

Col
Nice one - like the triton router in the background, and the tshirt (got one just like it....funny huh!)

Think I said it in the video - it may not be much, but it's mine :) True for any shed- as frustrating at they can get sometimes, it is your small part of this world. On saying that, I was talking to my father last night (he's coming across for Xmas from NZ), and I'm hoping there will be time while he's here to tear my shed down completely, extend the slab as far as possible (probably at best 2 metres longer and 1 metre wider), knock up a new frame and reclad it with the old shed materials, and get some corrugated iron for the roof. Problem is, I just don't know if that small gain is worth all the effort, and cost :(

gazaly
11th September 2006, 03:05 PM
Ahem!

Col
Great stuff Col, very effective.

RufflyRustic
11th September 2006, 03:08 PM
I've just added a 1500 L x 740 W x 900 H work bench into my lil Solar Kiln/Icebox with a shelf underneath which will house the 2 x drawer sets and 2 x sand paper pidgeon holes I acquired recently. The space underneath is already used to store the metal shelving I acquired about a month ago. It's just a shame that the kiln/box isn't 5 cm taller otherwise I'd have that shelving set up by now. Oh, and it would be good if the bench had its oregon top on it:rolleyes: but that's still in HWMBO's shed waiting to get the paint and rot scaped off/out. Have pity on the wheelbarrow as that is now out in the weather as I thought the bench was more important :D

Cheers
Wendy

RufflyRustic
11th September 2006, 03:11 PM
Now Wendy... seein as your a wee tiny gnomelike sheila a 1mtr square area would be more than ample and probably equates to the same spacial area as my 9mtr x 6mtr shed does for me :o ... me bein a huge teddybear of a bloke that is! ;) all 5ft 6in of me! :D

It's a good thing my elbows don't fly anymore and I've learnt to turn on the same small spot due to all the bruises I was finding after a day in the kiln. Yeeeooowww!!! :D or maybe that should be :mad:

Waldo
11th September 2006, 03:25 PM
G'day,

Not me, mine's 9m x6m :p . But then take away space for 2 cars an office and it gets smaller - but not a small as some. haha (insert sfx of kid from The Simpsons)

Nah, it has to be Stuarts - poor bloke. Feel sorry for ya, get a bigger shed. :D

Stuart
11th September 2006, 05:20 PM
I'm noting all these down as evidence to convince SWMBO :D

journeyman Mick
11th September 2006, 05:38 PM
It's all relative. My shed sounds like it should be large, compared to some of the preceeding at 10 x 7.5M. However, my panel saw has a footprint of 6 x 3.8 (or 6 x 5 if I extend the crosscut fence all the way). So one machine takes up nearly 1/3rd of all available space. Then there's the edgebander (1.5 x 3M) jointer, thicknesser, hingeborer/inserter, drill press, spindlemoulder, router table, dust extractor, drum sander, benches and stock. Take away the spaces around the machines for safe access and I'm left with an area of about 5 x 3 that I have to assermble and store all the work in progress. And once I start assembling I can't usually use the panel saw any more as part of the sliding table runs through my 6 x 3 assembly area.

Fortunately there's room to extend the shed by about 10 x 6 :)
Unfortunately I won't be doing this til after I've built us a new kitchen and bathroom and built a new outdoor entertainment area. So no shed extensions for at least 5 years or so.:( Still, I do have a shed, it's populated with good stuff and I only need to walk 50m or so to get to work.:)

Mick

HappyHammer
11th September 2006, 05:49 PM
Not me for long, my current single garage is about 6m x 4m but it's big brother has the walls up and the joists for the floor above went in today which will add another 9m x 4.6m.......am I itching for it to be finished? You bet your #### I am..:D :D

HH.

Auld Bassoon
11th September 2006, 06:24 PM
Are they giving away that crap hammer product now:rolleyes:

Hey Lignum!

Don't go frightening innocent Bassoons with comments like that :eek: ! I've just put down a deposit on a Hammer N4400 to secure the one that is being shown at the Melbourne WWW show! :)

Lignum
11th September 2006, 06:28 PM
Hey Lignum!

Don't go frightening innocent Bassoons with comments like that :eek: ! I've just put down a deposit on a Hammer N4400 to secure the one that is being shown at the Melbourne WWW show! :)

Ill retract it just for you:D

I meant to say "Are they giving away that fantastic hammer product now";)

Auld Bassoon
11th September 2006, 06:30 PM
:D That's better. I think. :D

sea dragon
11th September 2006, 07:04 PM
Talk about highjacking a thread. It was supposed to praise the efforts of great achievements in the face of adversity, namely lack of space. You know the idea, "Less is more", an extension of our Japanese references.
It was not supposed to be about the bloke with the most toys winning, more a case of woe is me. Listen to how these fellas suffer in silence:

Not me, mine's 9m x6m :p . But then take away space for 2 cars an office and it gets smaller - but not a small as some. haha (insert sfx of kid from The Simpsons)
Did you understand the subtlety of the reference to "The Simpsons", the house with the HUGE enclosed garage/workshop and separate basement, Also, see the affluence, making clear that the space is occupied with two cars, sometimes.
[quote=Wild Dingo;371098]
my 9mtr x 6mtr shed does for me :o ...
... if I didnt need more space that is!! :eek: ... and I really must do something about a larger timber storage area the specky little plastic carport thingy I bought and whacked up the other week outside the shed at 6mtrs x 3mtrs just doesnt cut the mustard Im afraid... I need a bigger shed!! :D and a farm hay shed for the wood an another 40ft sea tainer for the finishin room as her bloody highness is resisting every attempt I make to toss everything in the present one into a skip!!

If I had all the space that Wild Dingo can contemplate, I would suffer from agraphobia and loneliness. I would need a cut lunch to be able to merely view the available areas, workshop, lumber storage yard etc.

Not me for long, my current single garage is about 6m x 4m but it's big brother has the walls up and the joists for the floor above went in today which will add another 9m x 4.6m
HH.
Heck, do the arithmetic. An area totalling 15m x 8.6m!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder he calls himself "Happy".
I am still negotiating with the dog about how we share use of the kennel. I wouldn't mind if the kennel had been built for a Great Dane, but instead, it is built to accommodate a Maltese and I am over 6 feet.
Ever tried to work in a loft in a dog's kennel? That is where I have the router table. No, I have been given permission to have my own shed instead of sharing the single car garage and I was salivating at the prospect of a 6m x 3.5m area, but now think I will revise my salivation for something a little bigger, like 8m x 3.5m.
I wish that good work was as easy as having enough space, but we all know it takes more. Some of you achieve that with the space, some still can without it and more credit to you.

joseph84
11th September 2006, 07:05 PM
I don't know how you guys do it? anthing under 9m by 4m is way too small. For those with decent size sheds its makes you think how lucky you are ;)

Auzzie turner
11th September 2006, 07:26 PM
1.8x1.8x1.8, try and beat thatm

I win

I have fotos

craigb
11th September 2006, 07:50 PM
I don't know how you guys do it?

Simple. A small shed is better than no shed. ;)

joseph84
11th September 2006, 09:38 PM
True, i guess size doesn't matter

Stuart
11th September 2006, 10:45 PM
1.8x1.8x1.8, try and beat thatm

I win

I have fotos

Yeah, but if all you are running is a lathe, and perhaps a bandsaw, that's plenty of floor area.

I have been given permission to have my own shed instead of sharing the single car garage and I was salivating at the prospect of a 6m x 3.5m area, but now think I will revise my salivation for something a little bigger, like 8m x 3.5m.
I wish that good work was as easy as having enough space, but we all know it takes more. Some of you achieve that with the space, some still can without it and more credit to you.Take it from me, (with a 6x3 currently), that sure, go for 8m if you can, but my biggest problem is width, not length. 3, or 3.5 is not wide enough.

BobL
11th September 2006, 10:55 PM
Heck, do the arithmetic. An area totalling 15m x 8.6m!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder he calls himself "Happy".

Sorry to be picky but 6 x 4 PLUS 9 x 4.6 does not equal 15 x 8.6!

Driver; one thing wrong with your picture, - where's the vacant blokey look? you even look like you know what you are doing!

FTR, my shed is 3.6 x 5.2 but there is probably less than 3 m^2 of space to stand. yeah - luxury I know.

Cheers

Harry72
11th September 2006, 11:04 PM
He he he I planning/dreamin on a 24x9~10 by 4+ high!(M's not ft's)

Driver
11th September 2006, 11:12 PM
Driver; one thing wrong with your picture, - where's the vacant blokey look? you even look like you know what you are doing!

Pretty good, eh? That thing I'm holding in the picture: I use it for scratching inside me boots but I saw another bloke holding one like that once. I find if you do that and squint a bit (the glasses help) then you can get away with looking as if you're thinking about something when actually you're just standing and/or leaning and staring. (Sshh! Don't tell anyone else).

Wongo
11th September 2006, 11:28 PM
My vote goes to Bodgy. Seriously you’ve got to see it to believe it. It is amusing. It is so small but it has everything.:D

Craigb is right up there too.:D

HappyHammer
12th September 2006, 09:50 AM
........... but my biggest problem is width, not length.........

Errr.. think you mistook this forum for Cleo or Cosmo....:D

HH.

namtrak
12th September 2006, 11:14 AM
I think it was Schtoo? in Japan who once showed some pics of his shed, which was under a trapdoor. I reckon he would have to be a shot in this one.

I had a quick scan but no luck

Cheers

Auzzie turner
12th September 2006, 11:52 AM
lathe, bandsaw, beltsander, drills, chisels, tool boxes, 1 large bench, 8 shelvs, dust extractor, with hoses all over the place, heaps of timber, sawdust everywhere, heaps of different polishes, paints, varnishes, etc: Large tool rack, loaded with heaps of tools,

so you see, its not just a lathe,

1.8 x 1.8 x 1.8

I WIN!!

Wongo
12th September 2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry you need to be over 18. :D

:D

Auzzie turner
12th September 2006, 12:01 PM
Why, might I win??:cool: :cool: :rolleyes: :D :D :p

Allready have anyway

Lignum
12th September 2006, 12:05 PM
Why, might I win??:cool: :cool: :rolleyes: :D :D :p

Allready have anyway

Sorry Aussie mines 1.79 x 1.8 x 1.8 :rolleyes:

Ashore
12th September 2006, 01:02 PM
Joash your not even in the running I have two sheds and combined their smaller

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9733&d=1118674344

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=28188&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1155132442 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=28188&d=1155132442)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=28188&d=1155132442

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9733&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1118674344 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9733&d=1118674344)

:cool:

Auzzie turner
12th September 2006, 01:17 PM
did'nt put dimensions in, so I'm still winiing D:

snowyskiesau
12th September 2006, 01:22 PM
Shed? I wish. All I have is a small room at the back of the house.

I just had to rip a 70x35, 2.4mtr in half and this meant opening the toilet door to get enough run in and
raising the Triton workcentre so the cut ends would go out of the window:mad:

RufflyRustic
12th September 2006, 02:28 PM
did'nt put dimensions in, so I'm still winiing D:

Nope, sorry AT, Ashore's still a contender. He did include a pen as a reference. But now we have snowyskiesau as a contender as well :)

Keep em coming. It makes me feel much better about my setup to know I'm not the only one who struggles sometimes :D

cheers
Wendy

Auzzie turner
12th September 2006, 02:34 PM
Shed? I wish. All I have is a small room at the back of the house.

I just had to rip a 70x35, 2.4mtr in half and this meant opening the toilet door to get enough run in and
raising the Triton workcentre so the cut ends would go out of the window:mad:
got dimensions??

HappyHammer
12th September 2006, 02:37 PM
got dimensions??

Why are you so keen to win smallest shed, you need to lift your aspirations..:rolleyes:

HH.

Auzzie turner
12th September 2006, 02:41 PM
I'm not, Ive just won the largest as well :cool:

Lignum
12th September 2006, 03:25 PM
I'm not, Ive just won the largest as well :cool:

No you havnt:rolleyes:

journeyman Mick
12th September 2006, 04:29 PM
Shed? I wish. All I have is a small room at the back of the house...........................

A room? Luxury, when I was a lad I only 'ad a shoebox in t'middle of road.......

Mick

RufflyRustic
12th September 2006, 05:12 PM
A room? Luxury, when I was a lad I only 'ad a shoebox in t'middle of road.......

Mick

:D :D :D :D :D

sea dragon
13th September 2006, 01:13 AM

Mick
AAh, if only.When I were a lad, we didn't have no shoebox, let alone a road. We were grateful for the shadow left as someone passed by.
AND i will be interested in how you go down the line.... "well, when I say shoebox it were more......."?
To only work 24 hours a day, luxury, sheer luxury, thank you Monty Python.

soundman
13th September 2006, 11:34 PM
Yeh Yeh..... we did the yourkshiremen last time:D :D
RIGHT
when I were a lad workin in factory in hole in t road wit no roof & leaky walls, we would get up a 2.30 in the morning half a hour before we went to bed, go to work with no breakfast, pay the forman to let us work. we'd have to cut down own tree wit damp rag, mill timber wit used rubber band, joint & thickness wit own teeth and make varnish out of own blood. The foreman would force us to make own coffin then murder us with blunt chainsaw and dance singing halelulah on our graves.
Dig us up, sew us together, revive us by satanic ritual so we could start again next morning.
& you tell that to the kids these days & they won't believe you

no no no:D

Cliff Rogers
13th September 2006, 11:51 PM
oi'll 'ave 'alf. ;)

Felder
14th September 2006, 11:45 AM
Whats the prize?

I have 2.8 x 1.9 m.

What do I win? Gotta be worth a Hammer bandsaw, Brendan!

Where would you put it???:confused::confused:

noodle_snacks
14th September 2006, 02:54 PM
I actually do all my woodworking in the boot of the car :P

Timmy
15th September 2006, 07:36 PM
I actually do all my woodworking in the boot of the car :P
Luxxxurrry...would have killed for a car boot. When I was was young we did it in the glovebox! (Love monty python):D