PDA

View Full Version : One of those days...

TTIT
11th September 2006, 09:36 AM
Just couldn't seem to get anything right yesterday - didn't have the right bit for this project - nothing long enough for that project etc, etc. You know how it goes!!!!;):( So that the whole weekend wouldn't be a total waste, I thought I'd rough out a bowl last night so I had at least achieved SOMETHING!!:mad: Grabbed a lump of very green Bumble tree (wild pomegranate), shapes the outside (pic 1) - looking promising - started hollowing - funny smell - feels a bit doughy - stop lathe - :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: - pic 2. Give up and go to bed!!:(

Gil Jones
11th September 2006, 10:52 AM
Been there, I would pitch it and start another (just MNSHO), or talk the worms out, and go fishing with them and some ale. The clear wood, and the foot look nice! :)

OGYT
11th September 2006, 12:12 PM
TTIT, I'd just keep turnin' and see what happened. The holes will make it art :o)
A dip in lacquer thinner or meths will kill the worms. I hear nuking will do the same, but I've never tried it.
If the wood is punkie, you can dip it for an hour or so in 50/50 solution of white glue and water, and let it dry, and then finish turning it.
I heard that someone has said, "Life's too short to turn punky wood." But I just hate to throw away wood... even bad, ugly, punky, wood.

Christopha
11th September 2006, 12:17 PM
Christ! Thats a bloody lovely piece of timber, KEEP GOING!!!!

RufflyRustic
11th September 2006, 01:13 PM
Didn't we have a full moon in the night sky this week????:rolleyes:

DanP
11th September 2006, 02:13 PM
Yup.:rolleyes:

rsser
11th September 2006, 02:19 PM
To persist in the face of difficulty = courage.

To know when to toss it in = wisdom ;-}

brind0g
11th September 2006, 04:20 PM
Id say go for it, well look awesome if you got it turned down to a nice bowl.. if the holes dont flatten out.. do what i do... resin aka 2 part epoxy.. will look beautiful if you get it there in 1 piece!! Good luck!!

Christopha
11th September 2006, 07:18 PM
As a turner, I love pieces like that. They are a great challenge and a lot of fun..... oh, and if you can't turn something nice out of that then you ain't no real woodturner!

mongrell
11th September 2006, 09:06 PM
WHAT!!you actually do some form of woodwork chris ?and here i am thinking all you come on these forums for is to put people down

Cliff Rogers
11th September 2006, 10:15 PM
What is wrong? :confused: Did you get borered with it? :D

Touchwood
12th September 2006, 12:28 AM
I'm with BrindOg

resin aka 2 part epoxy.. will look beautiful if you get it there in 1 piece!! Good luck!!

The dark bits, full of resin contrasting against the pale wood could be stunning .. just watch that crack!

JD

hughie
12th September 2006, 09:52 AM
looking promising - started hollowing - funny smell - feels a bit doughy - stop lathe - :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: - pic 2. Give up and go to bed!!:(
[/QUOTE]

Vern,

Been there and done that, dont care for worms/white ants etc . Dont mind if the voids are free of the critturs. Other wise out she goes.

Farnk
12th September 2006, 11:22 AM
Sounds like you had the same weekend that I had!
I've been patiently working with a spotted gum piece over the last month or so, nuking it every now and then and re-chucking it to give it a closer shape to the finished form.

Not even 3 minutes into completing the thing on the lathe and BANG!, bits and splinters everywhere!

Oh well, I say as I turf the remaining bits into the bin, I'll have a go at the yellow box burl I purchased on ebay a few weeks ago. Ten minutes in and BANG! huge dig in and I'm left swearing with a mangled hand.

The truly sad thing is that the only stuff I had any luck with was some old crapiata. Ended up with two very nice peices.