PDA

View Full Version : Guitar building workbench

Strungout
11th September 2006, 05:27 PM
What do you guys use as a workbench for you guitar building .Is there anything special you have included on them IE Vices etc?

I am just knocking up a new bench/table and I thought I might as well ask the question to get some ideas before I get right into it.

Any pics would be good .

Thanks

Greg

kiwigeo
11th September 2006, 08:07 PM
Pics of my workshop attached. Most of the action occurs on the island in the foreground. This is bolted to main benchwork and is supported at right hand end by a single leg. The island is removable if more space is need in the shop. The island has an irwin woodworking vice which is used mainly for holding the workboards I build on. On the main bench is a Parrot vice which can be used in a variety of configurations.

Benches are pinus framed with 15mm MDF on top. A sacrificial masonite top is nailed on to the latter...when it gets worn or soiled it can be easily ripped off and replaced.

Phil Mailloux
11th September 2006, 10:05 PM
Nice shop! Where did you find the parrot vice?

kiwigeo
11th September 2006, 10:44 PM
Nice shop! Where did you find the parrot vice?

Phil,

Thanks for the compliment on the shop. Its been a long time dream to get the thing built and up and running but its all finally taking shape. The last lot of renovations on the house included a garage so to add a workshop was minimal added cost. The shop is designed specifically for luthiery with lots of windows to let in natural light and it's also fully climate controlled.

The vice came from either Stewmac or LMI, I forget which...I think they both stock the Parrot or something similar. The Parrot is a copy of the Virsa-vice which used to be the bees knees in luthier's vices but I believe is no longer made. Its Chinese made but quality is good.

Mine gets used for normal day to day chores but its also handy for working on braces...I whack the top on its workboard into the vice and everything is at a comfortable chest level. The vice can be mounted sideways also which is handy for clamping a guitar by its neck for work on the headstock etc.

kiwigeo
11th September 2006, 10:47 PM
The Parrot vice came from LMI. Heres the link:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?searchtext=parrot&Submit=Search&NameProdHeader=Shop+Fox%99++Parrot+Vise

Strungout
12th September 2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks agian Martin,

Yes as Phils said,looks great and is very inspirtational.
I like the look of your benches. How deep have you made them.In the pics ,I would assume about 600mm.

Regards

Greg

Jackspira
12th September 2006, 09:36 AM
Hi everyone,
This seems a pretty nice forum! And an interesting question.
My name is Jack, an instrument maker from Melbourne.
I agree with Martin, having a bench that sticks out like that is cool. Being able to walk around and get end on is really usefull.
The whole thing looks great Martin! I reckon I'd do something similar if I had the space. Or if I had more space I think I'd like a completely freestanding bench in the middle of the room.....
As it is I have and old beaten up Dawn wood vice, and a few little guitar sized bench surfaces that slot into it, if that makes sence. The Dawn has one of those quick releace levers, so its pretty fast to swap over.
Jack

kiwigeo
12th September 2006, 11:46 AM
There are as many workbench designs as there are luthiers....my benchwork is pretty average compared to the efforts of some others. Check out Taunton's "The Workbench Book" (By Landis?) for benches used by Schneider, Somogyi and other famous luthiers. Alot of the old spanish luthiers used temporary mini workbenches that attached to main benchwork.

kiwigeo
13th September 2006, 01:10 AM
I like the look of your benches. How deep have you made them.In the pics ,I would assume about 600mm.

I think theyre about 600-700mm deep. Deep enough for a dreadnaught to sit comfortably on the bench with a bit of space to spare.

Jackspira
13th September 2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for mentioning the workbench book Martin, it looks great! I'm gonna get one next time some money comes in!
Jack

gratay
23rd September 2006, 03:52 PM
Hi,
I built one the same as the link but with a few alterations to suit my needs
cost me $27 for the material to make the frame and $35 for top which i used yellow tongue flooring.....its 1.8m x 90cm and the flooring was 3.6m so cut in half and you have a bottom shelf for the bench as well

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html

kiwigeo
24th September 2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for mentioning the workbench book Martin, it looks great! I'm gonna get one next time some money comes in!
Jack

Jack, the book isnt cheap and theres only a couple of pages on luthiers workbenches.....Id spend the money on tonewood mate.

Cheers Martin

gratay
24th September 2006, 12:03 PM
I tried to scan the relevent pages in the workbench book but I can't get the resolution with a small enough file to post....sorry
and hi to you martin, I have spoken to you on the OLF and have helped me with various questions i post...looking at the pics of your shop it looks great...

And Hi to jack also....I have met you when I worked at AMS as a guitar tech .....I started there after you left ...I have since departed as well...and am setting up a workshop to build .

kiwigeo
24th September 2006, 02:35 PM
Always willing to help Grant.....am on a steep learning curve myself.

On the workbench topic..I recall seeing a few articles about luthiers workbenches in a few of the GAL Big Red Books.....compulsory buying for serious luthiers. Check out the Guild of American Luthiers website for details.

Cheers Martin

Jackspira
25th September 2006, 09:32 AM
Hi Grant, yeah I remember!I'm back at AMS again now, sigh! but only three days a fortnight. Hope the setuping goes speedily! Love to come have a look when its done.
jack

Jackspira
25th September 2006, 09:41 AM
Jack, the book isnt cheap and theres only a couple of pages on luthiers workbenches.....Id spend the money on tonewood mate.

Hi martin, mm yes, wise words. Its too easy to buy stuff on the internet. And I am running out of wood again...
I see in one of your posts somewhere that you got some of the oportunity grade indian rosewood from allied luthery? That was great! hope they do it again soon.
jack

gratay
25th September 2006, 01:01 PM
Hi Grant, yeah I remember!I'm back at AMS again now, sigh! but only three days a fortnight. Hope the setuping goes speedily! Love to come have a look when its done.
jack

Sure no problems ,your welcome to come over. I'm in the dandenongs as well and would love to check out what you do as well.....I'm just trying to sort out a few jigs at the moment.....so its very early days for me