PDA

View Full Version : Tensioning Blades

Little Festo
4th February 2003, 09:54 AM
How much tension should be put on blades? Are there any formulas/rules for this?

Peter

DPB
4th February 2003, 11:06 AM
Wind it up to max! Have yet to see a bandsaw blade break because it was under too much tension. (I'm speaking of the standard 14" type here.)

If you are concerned about leaving the saw under this tension, back it off when not in use.

------------------
Woodchuck Canuck
Good luck is the residue of good planning!

Dean
4th February 2003, 11:57 AM
Do you think max tension would place a little more strain on the motor at all?

RETIRED
4th February 2003, 01:42 PM
Nope, can't because the motor is not attached to the blade.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Dean
4th February 2003, 02:19 PM
good enough answer for me!
**starts increasing blade tension**

AlexS
5th February 2003, 08:04 AM
Some years ago in an article on tuning bandsaws, similar advice was given, together with some figures to show that it's just about impossible to tension a bandsaw enough to break the blade.

One thing worth checking is that the blade is running on the crown of the wheel.

Little Festo
5th February 2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll wind up the tension. I was a bit worried about puting too much stress on "me trunnions".

Thanks - Peter

John Saxton
5th February 2003, 07:24 PM
A blade is only as good as the joint ....had to return one of mine to the local sawdoctor after snapping whilst in use with plenty of tension.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

ijig
18th February 2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Little Festo:
How much tension should be put on blades? Are there any formulas/rules for this?

Peter

ijig
18th February 2003, 09:39 PM
It will be just a matter of time be for you bust a trunnion!!!I agree that it is hard to break a blade, but the trunnions won't take it!!!!!I have some good info on the subject IF I can only find it!!!!
Originally posted by Little Festo:

Peter

Little Festo
19th February 2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I found an web site on tensioning Band Saw blades - http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00013.asp

Peter