PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron vs Cast Alloy Wheels

TerryG
20th February 2003, 08:07 PM
I am thinking of getting the Carbatec SBW4800 18in Bandsaw, or the 18in Jet, the Jet has Cast iron Wheels, the Carbatec has Cast alloy wheels, does anyone have any experiance with alloy wheels re longgevity compared to cast iron, the Jet & Carbatec look like they came out of the same factory.

Terry

Zsteve
21st February 2003, 01:01 PM
Terry,

We have had a 14 inch bandsaw with alloy wheels for the last 15 years without a problem.

One benefit of the Cast iron is that it may provide a bit more momentum for the blade in operation, although i have not really had a problem.

The SBW's look like a good machine - also with a bit more depth of cut than the jet - but the final decision will be up to you. Ask them if you can test them in the shop before you buy.

Regards
Stephen.

soundman
22nd February 2003, 01:05 PM
Bear in mind that almost any post stone age metal foundry can cast iron.

Alloy takes a lot more knowhow and care.

But for those with the skill & gear alloy is cheaper and costs less to ship

I would be looking to the quality of the work rather than the material.

If it matters.

cheers

TerryG
23rd February 2003, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I will go for the SBW, will let you know how it performs, have had a good look at both of them, and they both seem of equal quality, and even thogh the SBW has alloy wheels it is about 50kg heavier, but as you have had no problems Stephen then will give the SBW a try out.
Terry

Roly
25th February 2003, 10:42 PM
Terry

I have had a Carbatecx 18" bandsaw for a few months now and found it to be reliable sturdy, accurate and an absolute necessity to have in the workshop. I don't know what I did without it for all these years. Although the final decision is up to you I don't think you will have any regrets from Carbatec. May I say the the only real problem I encountered was local for Canberra and that was the scourcing of blades for it having to do a fair amount of resawing. Both the blokes at Carbatec here in the ACT were magnificent in their assistance and I now have located a good reliable oveernight bandsaw supplier.