PDA

View Full Version : bow saw

ddeen
12th September 2006, 02:21 AM
Finished my first bow saw this weekend. I first wanted to build one when detailed plans were shown in a more recent fine woodworking article. Then I saw a beautiful recreation on Ebay of the bow saw featured on the art of fine tools book (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fine-Tools-Sandor-Nagyszalanczy/dp/1561583618/sr=8-1/qid=1157986819/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0259571-0048052?ie=UTF8&s=books). Basic dimentions were taken from bugbears site (http://www.geocities.com/plybench/bowsaw.html). Wood is birds eye maple and ambuina burl for the handles. Cord is waxed cotton normally used for sewing leather. I am very happy with the result.

Buzza
12th September 2006, 11:04 AM
You've done a great job there. I'm especially impressed with the blade holders you've made, I would like to make some pinless ones for my pinned only scroll saw. You given me an idea or two. The carved heads really top your saw off nicely as well. :)

Bodgy
12th September 2006, 11:11 AM
Great job Deen.

How does it cut?

Auld Bassoon
12th September 2006, 07:28 PM
Beautiful Bow Saw ddeen!

Those horse-heads look terrific. Amboyna burl is one of my favourites - glorious wood!

What do you use it for? Dovetails, M/T's or??

ddeen
13th September 2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks everybody.
Bodgy, it cuts very well. I took it out for a test cut last night. I had a initial problem where the cotton twine broke after being tensioned to much. I was quite surprised at the amount of tension that gets placed on the twine. I had to replace it with nylon thread that I also use for sewing leather. After the replacement it works very well.

Auld, I agree I really like Amboyna. It also comes with this pleasant aroma when working it. I wish I could afford to work with more of it. I had some leftover from a pen project. I am hoping this saw will replace the function of my coping saw. The one I have is a $5 special that I can't get to cut strait. My first project with this saw for a fancy jointed serving tray.

BobL
13th September 2006, 10:42 AM
Terrific looking saw DD! the basic shape looks a lot like the 2 saws I made recently, the design for which also came from a FWW article but in a different book (mabe it was still the same article?)

You'l find the cotton twine will be able to take the tension if you use multiple loops. I used 4mm wide leather thonging but a single strand stretches and breaks whereas 2 loops will hold (but don't know for how long) so I used three loops.

Bodgy
13th September 2006, 07:32 PM
You'l find the cotton twine will be able to take the tension if you use multiple loops. I used 4mm wide leather thonging but a single strand stretches and breaks whereas 2 loops will hold (but don't know for how long) so I used three loops.

I used threaded rod, not very trad, but try and break it!

Jedo_03
13th September 2006, 09:58 PM
Hhheee.... (sigh)

I used to have one of those when I was a bairn all those years ago and lived in Sunderland. . . Found it on a bomb site. . . Me ma took it off me and give it to the bloke next door. . .

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. . .

Cheers
Jedo

ddeen
14th September 2006, 02:17 AM
Terrific looking saw DD! the basic shape looks a lot like the 2 saws I made recently, the design for which also came from a FWW article but in a different book (mabe it was still the same article?)

Bobl, I looked at your saw before I started. I really liked the grain on the wood you choose. I wanted to build with similar fancy grained wood but did not have any in my wood stash. Its not surprising that most of our saws look the same as we all pretty much share the same sources of insperation. I used mine quite a bit last night and am finding that it is a tad to big and heavy. I think I will fit it with a wider blade and build me a smaller version.