PDA

View Full Version : Routing Rail & Stile by hand

Revvun
12th September 2006, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone,
I know that its NOT recommended to use a rail and stile bit when routing by hand, but is it possible for someone who is far from an expert craftsman? I don't have a router table, my "workshop" is the balcony of my terrace, so I don't have the space to keep a table. I was wanting to make some flat panel wardrobe doors from pine using plywood as the panels (as they will be painted).
My preference is to retain the use of all 10 fingers :).
Any other options would be appreciated.

journeyman Mick
12th September 2006, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone,
I know that its NOT recommended to use a rail and stile bit when routing by hand, but is it possible for someone who is far from an expert craftsman?..............

Maybe not impossible, but so highly improbable to suceed that you may as well call it impossible. I certainly wouldn't even try it.

Mick

craigb
12th September 2006, 04:35 PM
You could maybe try getting a Triton router table. You can fold it up and store it somewhere when you've finished with it.

As Mick says, I don't know how you could do it freehand.

Revvun
12th September 2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys, its what I thought, but not what I wanted to hear!
Storage is a big problem at my place, so even a triton isn't really an option. What if I dowelled the frame together and routed a rebate for the panels and also decorative edge? Its not going to be as tidy, especially from inside, but then the wife is used to my projects costing twice as much and looking half as good as I promise! :)

echnidna
12th September 2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys, its what I thought, but not what I wanted to hear!
Storage is a big problem at my place, so even a triton isn't really an option. What if I dowelled the frame together and routed a rebate for the panels and also decorative edge? Its not going to be as tidy, especially from inside, but then the wife is used to my projects costing twice as much and looking half as good as I promise! :)

That's the safest way to go if you don't want a router table.

Auld Bassoon
12th September 2006, 06:13 PM
I for one wouldn't even think about it :eek:

Harry72
12th September 2006, 06:36 PM
Grab a 600mm square piece of 16mm mdf cut a hole in the middle the same size as the hole in the plastic slip base of the router(use it as a template to trace around) then screw your router to it. Clamp a straight piece of 2by4 across it with a relief in it for the cutter for the fence, adjust as needed.
Clamp the whole lot down to some saw horse's, now you have a basic router table cost about $10 for the mdf and bit of 2by4.
When finished unscrew your router it'll take up hardly any room.

Revvun
12th September 2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks Harry, that's a great idea. I appreciate all the help guys.

inferno6688
12th September 2006, 07:36 PM
i too would go with Harry's idea. Just knock yourself up a temporary router table.

Auld Bassoon
12th September 2006, 07:39 PM
Good idea Harry - sounds like Gary Rogowski's ultra basic, but nonetheless very effective table.

Stuart
12th September 2006, 08:05 PM
Harry bet me to it - that's what I used as a table saw before I got a Workcentre.

Would work well as a router table.

Just George
12th September 2006, 10:00 PM
You could use a router hand held however it is advisable to use a table. There is a 1/4" router bit that could be used.http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/d3/9a/26_1_b.JPG
Raise/lower the bit to create the rebates in the rails.