PDA

View Full Version : Incra Jig Loose Half blinds

dreynolds
12th September 2006, 10:48 PM
I am using 3/4 stock for half blind drawers. I have tried both templates DOVN and DOVR. I am also using the recommended bit for each of these templates 1/2 7 degree(dovr) and 1/2 12 degree(dovn) (both are whiteside bits). Both produce very loose joints.

Any ideas on how this can be corrected? Is this a bit debth issue?

Thanks

Gumby
12th September 2006, 10:58 PM
I don't think it's bit height. The height only alters how much of the dovetail goes into the half blind slot. It's more to do with the width of the bit i think. maybe it's not exactly 7 degrees.

Greg Q
12th September 2006, 11:41 PM
Can you post a photo of the offending joint? If its a depth issue the tails will be fully seated and the boards not quite joined. A bit dimension mismatch with the template would result in correct depth of the cuts, but tails too small for the sockets.

I can't say anything about Whiteside DT bits. I have a lot of their other bits, and they are by far the best bits that I own. (Including Freud and CMT)

Greg

underused
13th September 2006, 12:57 AM
Whiteside are the best bits Ive used.
This could just be my misfortune, Ive had three of the sliding right angle fences from incra, and none of them have been straight when set up. I would put a nice square piece of wood on it, and the front edge wouldnt touch the table, resulting in a bad cut and fit.
Ive had to put a shimmed MDF face of it to square it up. Ive spoken to other members here who have shimmed theirs with a face too.
Incra gave up and sent me my money back:o
might be the cause mate.
saying all that, the rest of the incra set up is spot on;) and have had no trouble with it.
cheers. Gary.

Stuart
13th September 2006, 01:10 AM
I am using 3/4 stock for half blind drawers. I have tried both templates DOVN and DOVR. I am also using the recommended bit for each of these templates 1/2 7 degree(dovr) and 1/2 12 degree(dovn) (both are whiteside bits). Both produce very loose joints.

Thanks
Your bit is too low. You still need to do the initial bit height setting step (routing 2 pieces of blank, move the fence the set amount specified, router another pass, then flip one over and see how loose/tight the joint is.

Rule is lower (the bit) to loosen, heighen to tighten.

This is true for 1/2 blinds as well as full dovetails. The difference between a 1/2 blind and a full is for a full dovetail, you have to match the stock thickness to the height of the dovetail bit, for a 1/2 blind, the thickness just has to be greater than the bit height.

Gwhat
13th September 2006, 06:56 PM

The tightness of joints and the correct set-up is covered in the Incra Videos 'Basic Tips' & 'Dovetails & Box Joints'. Incra are only a few weeks away from releasing an instructional DVD on the LS range, this promises to be a great resource for all Incra owners.

Woodpeckers, Rockler and the like in the US should have the videos which are based on the Ultra system.

Regards

The Woodworker

Auld Bassoon
13th September 2006, 07:06 PM
The tightness of joints and the correct set-up is covered in the Incra Videos 'Basic Tips' & 'Dovetails & Box Joints'. Incra are only a few weeks away from releasing an instructional DVD on the LS range, this promises to be a great resource for all Incra owners.

Woodpeckers, Rockler and the like in the US should have the videos which are based on the Ultra system.

Regards

The Woodworker

Hi Grahame,

Is this the same as the DVD you kindly sent out a little while back or is it a new one? If the latter, is it possible to order one please?

SteveB

Gwhat
13th September 2006, 07:15 PM
Hi Grahame,

Is this the same as the DVD you kindly sent out a little while back or is it a new one? If the latter, is it possible to order one please?

SteveB

Na Steve

The DVD we send out is the Promo DVD of all things Incra, the Instructional DVD is in the works and promises to be a real beauty, it will be supplied retrospectively to all recent LS positioner customers, AKA Steve B, Stuart etc etc. They had a few scenes to shoot last time I talked to them, then a bit of work in the edit suite and away we go.

Hopefully by months end we should have some.

Regards

The Woodworker

Stuart
13th September 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it- as much as the LS is very intuitive to use, it will be good to see real experts putting it though it's paces.

Auld Bassoon
14th September 2006, 08:01 PM
I'll be looking forward to that Grahame!

Some of the jig's use is quite intuiative, but some expert tips are always welcome!

In anticipation :)

graemecarson
19th September 2006, 12:55 PM
Me too! Me too! Now I've got the whole TS-LS setup and Triton with Unilift in place and finally totally level and square I cannot wait to see the new DVD...and start really using the TS-LS as it should be used. I've been having the same hassles with the right angle fixture not running smoothly on the table. In my case it may have been a slight bow in the router table at the Unilift cutout but I'm not sure. It kept catching on the black micro adjustment track thingy's. (that's technical eh!) Two pieces of 50 x 50 x 3mm angle seem to have ironed the bow out and a set of Incra legs has definitely helped the levelling a heap. So here's hoping for the next test. Couldn't quite get the dovetails right. Whiteside bit sets and all. Whiteside sure are quality bits so I don't think it's them. Soon as I've finished the grandson's rocking horse it's back to the router table and some dovetails so hopefully the DVD will be available by then and the whole thing will run properly at last.

clubbyr8
19th September 2006, 01:32 PM
Me three, me three. Looking forward to see how the experts use it.

Bob