PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy

WoodNerd
13th September 2006, 12:59 AM
Hey everybody

I’ve always had my eye on this forum as a source of great information on woodturning, and thought that joining now was as good time as any. Like most of the people in this forum I am greatly passionate about woodturning and spend every spare moment in the shed. But at the moment I’m torn between the sweet smell of sawdust and my final year of high school. I cant really explain how I got into wood turning, first I was doing a bit on a family friends metal lathe (too slow, I know) and before you know it I owned my own vicmarc175 and I was scavenging wood from nature strips across Melbourne. I would have to say I was self-taught (or from books) but since then I have done a 'from beginner' wood turning course that was frustrating at times but helpful. I could say I have yet to develop a particular style, but a large component of my 'one on one time' with the lathe is dedicated to creating sculptures for my art course at school. These include my wooden still-life series (which you can see a sample of in my profile pic.) I this series there is also a cigarette box and cigarettes a milkshake cup and straw.
I also make and sell bracelets (pictured). This one is ringed gigee finished with a boiled linseed oil and terebene combo, and Shellawax cream (which if I may add is a lot better than the regular Shellawax.)

I've also recently become interested in metalwork particularly making my own wood turning tools

Along with his I find time for the odd useless object (my latest one was seeing how smooth I could get a bit of Murry pine) or bowl/platter.

I will endeavour to post further pictures of my work later and make sure that at least EVERYBODY hears my opinion on woodturning matters.

P.S I have the uncontrollable addiction to purchase rare and expensive woods so please don't tempt me, or I'll have to sell my other ear.

wheelie
13th September 2006, 03:00 AM
Hi there,

woodturning tools are very expensive, your lucky if you can make your own

TTIT
13th September 2006, 10:10 AM
G'day Woodnerd and welcome to the best topic on these forums:D. Now you've mentioned that you make your own tools you WILL HAVE TO show us pics of them - there is no choice in this.:cool:
We also require a full size pic of that aerosol can - very interesting!:)

Wish I had gotten the turning bug at such a young age :cool:- would have kept me out of a LOT of trouble!:p;)

hughie
13th September 2006, 10:39 AM
Woodnerd,
You have come to the right place. Turning and tool making is the passion of many here, just do a search of the forum for ideas etc.

There are some real clever dudes here that are great artists in wood and have good lateral thinking abilities for tool design.

One the most interesting aspects of this forum is the help you will get when encountering a problem, everybody pitches in to help find an answer.

I have been wasting time on the net :D since the 90's and this one of the best forums I have found. In the past they have all been taking over by the whacky, weird or . In this regard the moderators do a fine job.

cya

Caveman
13th September 2006, 05:51 PM
Hey Woodnerd, howzit.
Welcome to the forum. As the others have said this is a great site, with a good collection of helpful characters.
Look forward to seeing some more of your work.

weisyboy
13th September 2006, 07:37 PM
woodturning is a realy good hobie i to started when i was only 15 i got my first lathe on my 15th birthday and taught myself no books or nothin the only time i had seen wood turning was when i when to a wood work demonstration day and absolutly fel in love with it. i have always loved wood and woodwork i started when i was about 7 years old and sinse then i have spent every spare moment in the shed. (i think my parents thought i had some magasines out there) have you ever tried to cut threw a 2 by 2 red ironbark banana prop with a old worn out hack saw blade (no hack saw) well thats how i started.:eek:

OGYT
14th September 2006, 02:45 PM
Welcome, Woodnerd! This place is AWESOME.... 'specially for a yank. I mean me... the yank... er.. oh well. Welcome!

Hickory
15th September 2006, 06:12 AM
Welcome on board. I was wondering what do you get from that "Spray can"? Woodtone paint? Pine Scent air freshener? Wood Finish? Instant Woody spray? :D :p

Nice work, especially like the bracelet, It is a bracelet, right?:confused: