PDA

View Full Version : Please help

pet_doggy
13th September 2006, 09:49 PM
ive looked everyhwhere an i cant find the information for my assignment if you could help it would be greatly apreciated:

<DIR>What properties would be important if u were to choose a timber to be used in each of these applications? Why?
*a match
*a icy pole stick
*a pencil
*a house frame
*a kitchen bench
*a bathroom floor</DIR>

Touchwood
13th September 2006, 10:04 PM
What properties would be important if u were to choose a timber to be used in each of these applications? Why?
*a match
*a icy pole stick
*a pencil
*a house frame
*a kitchen bench
*a bathroom floor

Might I suggest (assuming this is a school assignment and you are probably trying to address the technology process types stuff) that you start by writting about where and how the timber is to be used, the conditions it will endure / experience and how these conditions may affect the wood, then generalise as to what characteristic would be necessary.

for example a match would need to ignite easily and continue to burn but extinguish without leaving a hot coal for too long ....
there fore the wood would need to burn easily but hold a high temp after extinguish. It would also have to be able to bind with the match head stuff and not separate too easily when pressure applied.

an icy pole stick is going to get wet, hold food and be handled by hands and tongue, therefore the wood would not want to swell when wet to a high degree, not be toxic, not splinter too easily. You may also consider cost to produce and some sticks are printed on, so does the wood absorb print dyes...

and so on.

Good luck
JD:D

pet_doggy
13th September 2006, 10:08 PM
Thankyou!! :d

Touchwood
13th September 2006, 10:20 PM
Let me know what mark I get!:D

Does that help?
JD

pet_doggy
13th September 2006, 10:21 PM
ok :D

Ashore
13th September 2006, 11:04 PM
ive looked everyhwhere an i cant find the information for my assignment if you could help it would be greatly apreciated:

<DIR>What properties would be important if u were to choose a timber to be used in each of these applications? Why?
*a match
*a icy pole stick
*a pencil
*a house frame
*a kitchen bench
*a bathroom floor
</DIR>
Touchwood did a couple
Pencil , must be able to support the lead, easy to sharpen and coat
House Frame , Strength and not warp shrink etc, looking for well dried timber
Kitchen Bench, Resistant to everything , Usually laminates are better than just a wooden slab
Bathroom Floor , water resistant and strength to walk on

Rgds

Ashore
13th September 2006, 11:05 PM
Touchwood did a couple Cost
Pencil , must be able to support the lead, easy to sharpen and coat , Cost
House Frame , Strength and not warp shrink etc, looking for well dried timber, cost
Kitchen Bench, Resistant to everything , Usually laminates are better than just a wooden slab, cost
Bathroom Floor , water resistant and strength to walk on & cost

Rgds