PDA

View Full Version : Ow, my back

craigb
14th September 2006, 12:12 PM
Yesterday I had the day off work and used it to do some WW (as you do :) )

Today I've got quite a sore back. :( I've noticed this problem getting worse lately, no doubt due to getting older. :rolleyes:

When I made my bench about 4 years ago I made it 900mm high. The next one I make is going to be a metre high.

I'm only average height (1.75m) but 900mm is definitely too low.

Wood Borer
14th September 2006, 12:15 PM
Geez Craig, I hope it is only temporary (the pain).

Hopefully it is only caused by the bench height and you can easily correct the cause.

Gumby
14th September 2006, 12:18 PM
Mate, be happy that it's only your back. My groin, shoulder, back, neck and just about everything else get the aches and pains.

I can't even take a leak in the middle of the night because my creaking knees wake up the wife. :D :D (absolutely true)

It's just the body telling you to slack off a bit. ;)

Felder
14th September 2006, 12:18 PM
Hopefully it is only caused by the bench height and you can easily correct the cause.

Yep. Shorten your legs.

Hope you feel better soon, Craig.

I thought 900mm was a pretty standard height? :confused: If you raise it to 1m, will you get sore shoulders from keeping your elbows up high?

silentC
14th September 2006, 12:22 PM
I've got a tall stool that I sit on when the back gets a bit sore. If you make your bench too high it's hard to get your weight above things.

craigb
14th September 2006, 12:28 PM
Well I don't want to give the impression I'm in agony or anything. It's really just a bit of discomfort (I just felt like a bit of a whinge :D ).

So, as a matter of interest, what height is your bench?

RufflyRustic
14th September 2006, 12:30 PM
I've found having two benches helpful for that very reason SilentC stated. My main bench is 950 high and the second is about 700-750 high. I tend to use the second for hand sawing and working on bigger projects. It rolls away under the first. The saw horse and stool also reside under First on the other side of the centre support.

cheers
Wendy

AlexS
14th September 2006, 12:31 PM
When I went to see the physio (also a woodworker) about my back the first thing he asked was how high my bench was. Mine's 920 and I'm about the same height as you, and apparently that's OK, but many are too low.

silentC
14th September 2006, 12:35 PM
what height is your bench
Same height as the tablesaw!

Rookie
14th September 2006, 12:37 PM
I made both my benches 900 high. They seem to be okay. I'm 5' 10" whatever the heck that works out to.

Thanks for the tip though Wendy. I have a couple of saw horses etc which sit around the shop getting in the way of everything. I have roll away room under my long bench. Wheels.... don't know why I didn't think of that before :o

Gumby
14th September 2006, 12:45 PM

910 :)

Wongo
14th September 2006, 12:48 PM
Mine is about 90cm.

jmk89
14th September 2006, 01:11 PM
Mine is 3' 2" - my father made it for himself in the 1960's and I inherited it - so it is 3'2" exactly and not anything metric.

Don't worry metriphiles - I like using metric when it is appropriate. But some things were made imperial and this workbench was (including its frame of 4 x 2s).

RufflyRustic
14th September 2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks Rookie - the wheel design I used is the same as wheely bins have.

cheers
Wendy

Wild Dingo
14th September 2006, 01:34 PM
Mine is about 90cm.

:D :D :D BENCHES WONGO!!! Benches mate ;) sheesh comments like that can get you zapped mate :eek:

So Im 5ft 6in high when I made the first bench back a few years I made it at 29in high and I as I spend a fair bit of time at the bench began to feel pain in my shoulders and upper back and lower back from bendin... so I found this bench a tad short so when I made the two 4mtr benches I made them at 31in tall this is a perfect height for me I can sit or stand at the bench for as long as I want without any pain twinges or numbness affecting me

I worked on the best height machines in the workshop where I stood and sat on the stool for a time to see what height was best for me 31 seemed to be right on the money... and so it was... I also have a small B&D workbench thingy that sits on the bench about 5in high which I have on the old workbench and its a wonder at that height ;)

chrisb691
14th September 2006, 01:56 PM
So Im 5ft 6in high when I made the first bench back a few years

You sound a lot taller than that on the forum. :D :D :D

Tex B
14th September 2006, 02:00 PM
My bench is about 5mm shorter than the table saw. Works a treat as a run off table, when I remember to clear the bench before ripping.

Ask your physio about stretches and exercises. Mine (can recommend her to you if you need a good one) gave me some tips and since I've been doing the stretch/situp thing each morning, have had no back pain at all.

Tex

I'm also 5'6" -- the perfect height for a woodworker with a basement shop.

Waldo
14th September 2006, 02:10 PM

G'day,

Mine's 1030mm. :)

Been knocked over with a cold this week so I've put client work on hold while I paint the office. Trouble is SWMBO keeps saying, "haven't you got something better to do?" - yeah 1,000,000 other things that I want to do, that you want me to do, all much better than sniffing paint fumes all day. :rolleyes:

Being sick is one thing, being sick enough not to do work work and work in the shed is even better lol. ;)

Wongo
14th September 2006, 02:15 PM
So we all been sick in the past 2 weeks. Alex, Craig, Felder, Wongo and Waldo. Anyone else?

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2006, 02:23 PM
9 days into the stinking lurgi. http://www.ubeaut.biz/flu.gif

bennylaird
14th September 2006, 02:29 PM
Does sick of work count?

Wongo
14th September 2006, 02:30 PM
Benny, your always sick.

bennylaird
14th September 2006, 02:33 PM
Could have at least thown in a smily, now I'm sick of work and hurt deep down:( :( :(

Wood Borer
14th September 2006, 02:38 PM
I recall reading that your work bench should be the height of your elboe when you stand next to the bench and your arm is straight down.

Wongo
14th September 2006, 02:40 PM
Craig has short arms. :D

craigb
14th September 2006, 03:08 PM
I recall reading that your work bench should be the height of your elboe when you stand next to the bench and your arm is straight down.

Thanks Rob I'll have to check that out.

Wongo, get stuffed. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th September 2006, 03:09 PM
So we all been sick in the past 2 weeks. Alex, Craig, Felder, Wongo and Waldo. Anyone else?

I'd raise my hand, but I haven't got the energy. :(

Sybarite
14th September 2006, 03:15 PM

My ergonomics text recommends:

"Work surface heights should approximate the standing elbow height of workers, depending on the task."

Work Surface Height for Standing Workers in cm

Precision Work Male 109 - 119 Female 103 - 113
Light Assembly Work Male 99 - 109 Female 87 - 98
Heavy Work Male 85 - 101 Female 78 - 94

This would be for the 90th percentile of Euromongreals.

Interestingly, the same text also suggsts using a footrest as an effective means of relieving back pain.
Tests using a 100 - 250mm footstool observed that "The footrest would appear to be a valid way of reducing lumbopelvic constraint in standing workers" (R.S.Bridger - Introduction to Ergonomics 1995)

Wongo
14th September 2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks Rob I'll have to check that out.

Your arms or your workbench?
:D

bennylaird
14th September 2006, 03:16 PM
Leave him alone Wongo, he's armless:D :D :D

craigb
14th September 2006, 03:32 PM
Your arms or your workbench?
:D

Funny man.
Don't give up your day job. :p

Wood Borer
14th September 2006, 03:34 PM
I should ask for that Python Poo to be returned - sounds like he is getting too much sleep these days.:p

Wongo
14th September 2006, 03:38 PM
You know Craig, humour is a funny thing. :D

My father-in-law used to tell me that how much you understand jokes is a good indication of how good your English is. Oh boy I laughed and I laughed and I couldn’t stop, that was so hilarious.:D

Iain
14th September 2006, 05:08 PM
Precision Work Male 109 - 119 Female 103 - 113
Light Assembly Work Male 99 - 109 Female 87 - 98
Heavy Work Male 85 - 101 Female 78 - 94

And how about the cross dressers and 'think we are good' brigade:rolleyes:

Auld Bassoon
14th September 2006, 05:14 PM
Had a touch of surgery earlier this week, and am feeling as sore as :(

Methinks the bloke in the green face mask used one of my old Marples :eek:

Harry72
14th September 2006, 05:30 PM
Craig try putting a few offcuts under the legs to raise it up a little, giv it a few days of work to see if it makes any difference?

coastie
14th September 2006, 06:21 PM
I always thought benches should be hip height?Could be wrong ,but??:confused:

Auld Bassoon
14th September 2006, 06:34 PM
Low is good for planing by hand, but higher for more detailed work in my view.

My Fwumping bench is 910 mm high (from memory), but I have another bench at closer to 750mm high.

Regrettably, neither matches the T/S which stands at 830mm (including its wheeled base). This causes some grief in my very limited shed space.

BobL
14th September 2006, 09:43 PM

Crikey, that would mean 110 cm for me!
My 3 benches are 89 (metal work), 90.5 (general) and 91 cm (woodwork) and my TS is 94c m.

Craigb, a couple of months back I went through a bout of sore neck, throat, shoulders and even ears. It turned out I was doing a lot (hours) of hand carving/sanding of small handles close to my chest with my neck bent hard over, chin on chest. The doc suggested the simple activity of stopping every 10 minutes and change to doing something else for at least 5 minutes. This seems to have worked.

ian
14th September 2006, 10:00 PM
craig
what sort of surface are you standing on?
can you sit down some of the time?
what condition are your shoes in? are they a proper fit? do they support your ankles?
do you have a problem with your gait? (one leg longer than the other?)

are you overweight?

all these can contribute to back pain

ian

bsrlee
14th September 2006, 10:10 PM
There was an idea in some FWW publication or other - just build a small benchtop stand a few inches tall to raise your working height for precision work. I have build one but haven't done anything lately that needed it - and I couldn't be bothered going down stairs to take a portrait shot :p.

RufflyRustic
14th September 2006, 10:12 PM
and perhaps try standing on a good thick rubber mat.... I changed the shoes I wear and find this makes a huge difference too

cheers
Wendy

AlexS
14th September 2006, 10:43 PM
and perhaps try standing on a good thick rubber mat.... I changed the shoes I wear and find this makes a huge difference too

cheers
Wendy

(sings.....)
In these shoes...I don't think so..:D

craigb
14th September 2006, 10:52 PM
are you overweight?

None of your business. :p

craigb
14th September 2006, 10:59 PM
I tried Rob's measurement ROT tonight, and if it's right then my bench should be at 100 - 102 cm (bottom of my elbow).

As to shoes, I was just wearing some old worn out joggers. :o

Oh, and the floor is concrete.

Actually, I never spend all day at the bench as I don't solely do handwork. I alternate between the bench, the TS, the jointer, the SCMS stand and the bandsaw. All except for the BS are at about the same height or a bit lower than the bench.

So my theory is that it's the cumulative effect of the slight bending of the back that's to blame.

Like I said though, it's not debilitating, just irritating.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

johnc
14th September 2006, 11:32 PM
I thought a work bench was meant to be the height of your wrist when standing upright, which rules out Zed I guess:D . My work bench is 950mm and router table 900mm, I find the bench height works for me and I just make 6'. I made the bench 25 years ago and it might just be that rather than the right height it was more a matter of just getting used to it. Like Gumby I manage a few aches, lower back, groin, neck, and arm. Last year had a clean out on one knee which has made life easier. No point bleating about it no one listens anyway, but footwear, the surface you are standing on and not stooping or hunching over certainly go some of the way to minimising back pain.

By the way Gumby if you have to get up in the middle of the night it's just the prostrate letting you know its time to ask the Doc to put on the rubber glove.

John

Cliff Rogers
15th September 2006, 12:06 AM
.. work bench was meant to be the height of your wrist when standing upright, which rules out Zed I guess:D . .....
You're in line for a Red from Zed when he puts his computer back together & gets it hooked up to the vine.. er... line. :p

IanW
15th September 2006, 09:10 AM
The folklore back when I was instructed in these secret matters was that the surface of the bench should be a handspan BELOW the elbow. This works well for jobs like handplaning, where you want to roll your body into the strokes. A lot more of that kind of thing went on at benches back then.
An elbow-height bench would be extremely uncomfortable for me for hand planing! :eek: You would be just pushing with your arms only - hard yakka!

It's pretty obvious from the replies here (& from any shed experience) that there just ain't 'one size to fit all'. For some operations, the low bench is easier on the body, but for lots of others, a higher work surface is infinitely more comfy. Hence the designs for adjustable benches (clumsy-looking things, & who's going to be bothered cranking them up & down between operations?!).

If you can't squeeze in a second bench, to give you a choice of working heights, the best advice was given by someone above - break up a long session by doing things that have your body adopting diffent postures. We tend to do this naturally, on most jobs - over to saw, drill-press, sharpening area, looking high and low for that #@*!# tool or bit of wood you just had 2 minutes ago.... However, I sometimes become engrossed in doing something, which I sort of know is a bit awkward, & end up spending an hour ot two at it before the ageing body really lets me know it's had enough. Then the next day I'll be feing like Craig, wishing I had heeded my own advice!

Cheers,

bennylaird
15th September 2006, 09:12 AM
Guess it's true, the size doesn't matter, it's how you use it?

kman-oz
15th September 2006, 09:46 AM
Perhaps it's just me but I find the lower bench more comfortable and practical. Both of mine are around 780mm tall, though I'm only 5'8" which probably helps. My wife and I share the workspace, she's 5'3" and finds them equally comfortable.

I just think I'd get the weight over the operations if it was any taller. Though the drill press is taller and I'm making the router table taller also, but neither of these require any weigh I suppose.

Bob38S
15th September 2006, 10:30 AM
Just a thought - have you tried a motorcycle kidney belt? [they can be made of leather but I'm referring to the stretch elastic kind]
These are velcroed and you pull them tight and simply "stick" the overlap to fasten - this will support your back while you are doing "bendy/bench" work but is easily removed when not required.

Had a spinal fusion back in the late 70's and have found that this helps me when my back gets "tired".
Regards,
Bob

RufflyRustic
15th September 2006, 11:57 AM
I'm around 5'7" and found that the lower the bench, the more headaches and neck aches I was experiencing after a day's work. Now that I've got the height right, only my feet and hands ache :)

Chris Parks
16th September 2006, 09:34 PM
How about this. If you need a lower bench or a higher bench just build one and somewhere around the thing have a raised area to stand on. Instant lower bench.

pawnhead
17th September 2006, 11:51 PM
Had a spinal fusion back in the late 70's and have found that this helps me when my back gets "tired".
Regards,
BobYeh, I've got one of those too. It helps a bit. I was laid up for almost a year after a three storey fall. Eventually had a back operation and it's not too bad now, but the knees are staring to creak a little bit. :(

A couple of other tips; drink heaps of water, don't carry your wallet in your hip pocket where you sit on it.

AlexS
18th September 2006, 10:53 AM
... don't carry your wallet in your hip pocket where you sit on it.

Mine's so thin it makes no difference.:D

jow104
18th September 2006, 06:12 PM
Late coming in on this thread but my two pennyworth is that an aching back is the same problem as a bad reading on the barometer.
Something is causing it.

keith53
18th September 2006, 06:28 PM
I made both my benches 900 high. They seem to be okay. I'm 5' 10" whatever the heck that works out to.

:o

Yep. I'm an inch shorter than Rookie and all mine are 900 and give me no problems. Unless, of course, its a 'thinking' day. On those days I open a bottle of Chateau le Fosters & sit at the bench, pencil in hand, waiting for the inspiration to come flooding in.:D

loz
21st September 2006, 01:22 AM
We have a saying in my workplace - where incidentally back aches are caused by poor fitting gun belts and crappy commodore seats, TOUGHEN UP PRINCESS!!!

Now that wasn't at all helpful was it?

Bob38S
21st September 2006, 11:33 AM
We have a saying in my workplace - where incidentally back aches are caused by poor fitting gun belts and crappy commodore seats, TOUGHEN UP PRINCESS!!!

Now that wasn't at all helpful was it?

Re the first bit - I would suggest you contact Nioa Trading who I'm sure will be able to assist you - seriously - you will be surprised at how good the blokes are.

Re the second bit - go the blue oval :D:D:D:D