PDA

View Full Version : high humidty

hughie
15th September 2006, 01:22 AM
Question for the forum

A few weeks ago during all our rain etc I put a bowl up on the shelf all but finished except for the foot.I often do this and finish several at once this saves taking the donut chuck on an off

Anyway, it was finished with Shellawax with no blemishes, a good glossy finish. At the end of the week the gloss finish was lost...a satin lustre was all that was left. I was wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences

OGYT
15th September 2006, 02:53 AM
Could be moisture got trapped below the surface of the finish. Don't know, but it could be kin to the blush I get sometimes from spraying lacquer in high humidity without the retarder. (the outside dries before the air moisture can escape from the finish coat???)
I don't know for sure, 'cause I never used Shellawax. Doesn't Shellawax have shellac as it's base? Does alcohol penetrate dried shellac? If so, you might try spraying a fine mist of alcohol over the finish. I do that with lacquer thinner, and it dries like it was supposed to... with a gloss.
Just thinkin'...

TTIT
15th September 2006, 09:56 AM
I've had it happen on quite a few items but I've always blamed it on the wood being too green. :( Because I turn a sample 'egg' as soon as I get a new type of wood home (ie: sap still dripping! :eek: ), very often the Shellawax dulls off quickly. Some I've gone back over later with Shellawax cream and it's held up OK:) Could be just the type of wood though - something you haven't used before maybe???

hughie
15th September 2006, 01:18 PM
later with Shellawax cream and it's held up OK:) Could be just the type of wood though - something you haven't used before maybe???

[/QUOTE]

Vern, Nah I was turning Camphor Laurel, my umpteenth bowl in the stuff :confused:

I don't know for sure, 'cause I never used Shellawax. Doesn't Shellawax have shellac as it's base? Does alcohol penetrate dried shellac? If so, you might try spraying a fine mist of alcohol over the finish. I do that with

Al, Nah when it goes hard alcohol wont touch it. Theres a guy over your way the makes ceremonial goblets and give 'em three coats and a month to harden then drinks Bourbon out of 'em.

so the ship came in...yeehaaa! one down, one to go:D any news on the turqoise powder? will send pics directly as the cutter is done

OGYT
16th September 2006, 03:27 PM
Hughie, have you tried re-shellawaxing?

Didn't ever locate the original guy with the turquoise, but I located another one. Gotta try to get some samples from him to see if it's what I want. Still going to try to find the original too.

hughie
16th September 2006, 10:11 PM
have you tried re-shellawaxing?

Al,
Nah, when it goes that way it pretty well stays that way. I usually sand it back and hit it with poly or oil finish

Didn't ever locate the original guy with the turquoise, but I located another one. Gotta try to get some samples from him to see if it's what I want. Still going to try to find the original too.
[/QUOTE]

No worries