PDA

View Full Version : finishing simple boxes

sandalwood
15th September 2006, 08:11 PM
just seeking advice. starting to build up some new (triton) gear and making storage units/drawers for my 4WD. got carried away and have been bitten by a box making bug. made boxes to put camping gear into back of 4WD and now can't stop !!!
would like a simple method of finishing boxes off. not too good with brush on stain or varnish - always looks tacky. what's the go with the beeswax, and polishes such as the gilly stephenson stuff. it looks a bit pricey to buy a bit of each bottle to try. just want to have the boxes look nice as opposed to raw wood. using pine at the moment, it is light and cheap, and burns well on cold nights.

Gumby
15th September 2006, 08:16 PM
Go to ubeaut.com.au and get some hard shellac, some traditional wax, EEE polish, sanding sealer and a copy of The Polishers Handbook. From there, you'll be flying in no time. Buy online and get it all sent across.

Then, download the finishing video, available in our video forum (inc instructions on how to download).

I'd also recommend a swansdown mop from Ubeaut as well.

carbatecwa
15th September 2006, 08:25 PM
Sandalwood
Come up and see us at Carbatec-wa at 151 Balcatta Rd Balcatta (9345 4522) [email protected] and we can help you out with advice and a wide range of finishing product including everything Gumby has mentioned.
Regards
Garry

sandalwood
15th September 2006, 08:29 PM
Thank you Gumby and Garry. A little help goes a long way. Already looking into the finishing forum and planning a drive.
Cheers

Gumby
15th September 2006, 08:33 PM
No probs. Just one tip with the shellac. Thin it down to about 50% with metho before applying. It dries VERY quickly and if it's not thinned, I find it hard to get it smooth. Apply with a soft cloth bunched up into a pad.

4 or 5 thin coats, let it harden for at least 24 hours and give it a rub with the EEE - you'll bne amazed at the finish.

The wax is for a softer, sheen type finish but it's all in the handbook. ;)

If you can download the video, watch how little sanding Neil actually does (he's MR Ubeaut in case you didn't know).

Use the sanding sealer first, as per the instructions. You can also download a lot of info from the Ubeaut site, including the instruction sheets.

Wild Dingo
16th September 2006, 12:59 AM
...and planning a drive.
Cheers

DONT Whatever you do DONT go up to Carbetex!! :eek: Even with your CC bank account wallet visa cards all toped up to the max that place will make you empty them quicker than a Kalgoorlie pro drops her nickers when the miners are in town! :D

Seriously... you will spend well over an hour in the front section cause you will have to spend much time droolin wipin droolin wipin and movin from one section to another before Garry Joe or one of the others catches up with you... then you will move out the first back room... AND there YOUR IN BIG DOODOOS!!! And I do mean BIG man the machinery is a spinout! IF that doesnt empty the wallet then further out the back you will wander to the timber storage area... ooooooooooooooohhh geeez If you can ever make your way back to the front and out the door with your wallet intact although empty your ute will be right down on its axles!! think bonnet in the air ass on the tarmac sparks flyin as you cross Perth to get a thrashin at the missus's hands

Okay... maybe a tad over the top :rolleyes: ...but every time I go there Im sorta stuffed and tend to be late to the airport to get the plane to work... thankfully for me I only get a 20kl load limit! :cool: mmm maybe I should call in on the way home eh? Good thinkin 99!! ;) thankfully the planes pretty unreliable and so I get in sometime between 4 and 6pm... then pick up the ute and belt down the road to Balcatta I may just make it for closing time... wouldnt that be a buggar :o But theyre such nice blokes Im sure they'd leave a door open and the kettle on if you let them know where your comin from and that you'll be a tad late "Oy Gazza mate Im on me way hold the damned door will yer!!" "yeah mate where you comin from?" "Me? oh just in from Nifty mate about 3 hours north east of Perth in the desert! No worries she'll be jake see yer when I get in!" click :D ... gawd wouldnt that freak them out!! :p specially if the missus has the same strangle hold on the cc and visa card as she presently insists on! :mad:

Get in hot foot it over there they see me comin in the big ol F100 and think WHAAAHOOO!! big spender item buyer type fella here miner mucho moola YEEEEEEESSS!!... rubbin their mits in glee at the huge amounts of $$ they intend on wrenchin from me wallet and cc... I wander in at 10 to 5 and start wanderin droolin wanderin droolin 1/2 past 5 theres Gazza and Joe gettin antsy "Oy Shane mate?" "yer?" "gonna buy somethin or what mate we gotta get home eh" "oh right... nah no money this trip fellas missus has the cc and visa card!" :eek: :D

Me do that? NO WAY!!! ;) But in all seriousity mate theyre a good mob and will look after you... thing with Carbecheque is they know what theyre talkin about!! And thats a bloody good thing! :cool:

Cheers

Hickory
16th September 2006, 02:12 AM
For what you mentioned I think Shellac is the wrong finish. Moisture and heat is detramental to Shellac. Both of which you will be exposing the boxes to in the manner you discribed. Your 4WD vehicle will be sitting in the sun for a good period of time and the interrior will reach in excess of 120 degrees F. And when you are out camping the Dewy mornings will soak into the finish as well, Each of these conditions will make for sticky situation with Shellac.

I would prefer Polyurethane finish. Simple easy to apply as Shellac, etc. Take a bit longer to dry but is resistant to moisture and heat. If you wish you could go one step further and buy Marine Poly which would be more resistant to moisture (but unneccessary as you won't be parking in the middle of the river) and resistant to sun's RV rays which may be glaring through the windows. But this is really not necessary.

Brush on Poly will do the trick, the natural wood tone will please you or if you prefer a darker shade, try a product called Polyshades, Minwax makes it and it is a Poly with stain mixed in. Apply in the same fashion as clear but it dries a darker color.

gazaly
16th September 2006, 09:45 PM
Go to ubeaut.com.au and get some hard shellac, some traditional wax, EEE polish, sanding sealer and a copy of The Polishers Handbook. From there, you'll be flying in no time. Buy online and get it all sent across.

Then, download the finishing video, available in our video forum (inc instructions on how to download).

I'd also recommend a swansdown mop from Ubeaut as well.

Spot on Bendyman. All of my boxes made recently have UB finishes and the Handbook is gold. It just shows how easy it is to do, if done correctly. It also creates more enjoyment as the outcome is so much better!

Best of luck sandelwood. Don't forget to post some piccies of ya work!

sandalwood
16th September 2006, 11:03 PM
I did say finishing "simple" boxes. After reading your responses I did feel a bit apprehensive about putting such effort into the finishing part when the original construction was pretty basic. Then this arvo I spent a few hours re-organising my 4WD storage drawers so that I have to make a higher standard "box" to justify the "finish". Combined with ideas from the forum of a camping cutlery box and a document box I now have to make a box with a lower drawer for crockery and a top section with a lid for cutlery,condiments etc. All to fit inside a drawer unit along with the rest of the 'vital equipment'.
Between 4wd'ing, woodwork and grandsons I don't know where I find the time for work.
Thanks to all for the advice. I will present pics - if it all works out.
Cheers

mrblue
21st September 2006, 01:30 AM
sure would like to see a pic of the boxes... i am thinking of making some for camping utensils and such...... have a good one..

sandalwood
7th October 2006, 01:01 AM
Thanks to all those who offered advice. I did take a drive to carba-tec, I might not be able to retire next year if I go there too often ! Have started easy and working uphill. Finish is much better than anything done before, and now I have a use for the offcuts - trying out u-beaut products instead of firewood.Actually thinking of getting a good piece of wood for the next version.
I know it is not the "fine furniture" that is usual for this forum, but for me it shows an improvement in the finishing.
This is the kitchen box, has all the gear for a quick cuppa, taken staright from a drawer and set up on a tailgate or on the ground.

Bwillie
7th October 2006, 07:33 AM
You know what? This box exactly fits the bill for it's use. And that's great! I like the simplicity of it, but it has that air of a lot of thought before construction. I like it!

ICN

Bill
Beaver Creek Creations, LLC

Hickory
7th October 2006, 07:44 AM
I too like what you have created, in fact My mind is running over how I can steal your idea for my betterment. I will use Polyurethane when I do mine.

AlexS
7th October 2006, 12:17 PM
very nice practical box, Sandalwood. Looks good, too.

zenwood
9th October 2006, 04:41 PM
Good looking box Sandalwood.

For finishing camping boxes, I'd use exterior grade (maybe even marine grade) polyurethane. It's easy to apply, water-proof, UV-proof, and hard wearing, and even looks good.