PDA

View Full Version : Cnc Milling wood?

ohno
15th September 2006, 08:30 PM
Has anyone had any experience of doing this?
I have the oppurtunity of purchasing some 3d milling machinery which is useful for wax and metal. Any ideas about doing fine work with wood.?

derekcohen
15th September 2006, 08:42 PM
Why would you want to CNC wood?

Curious in Perth

Derek

thatirwinfella
15th September 2006, 08:48 PM
I've seen used to make fullscale mock ups of new components for cars. I haven't done it myself, or seen too much of it, but the degree of accuracy used there was impressive

Harry72
15th September 2006, 09:09 PM
"Why would you want to CNC wood?"

Why not, you wont beat it for repetitive accuracy!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2006, 09:16 PM
I don't know that I'd use one for general use, but it'd be nice to have something capable of creating carved spandrels, wickerwork effects, etc. for highlight components without spending more time carving than is spent on the rest of the piece.

Especially if you don't enjoy carving just for it's own sake!

Ticky
16th September 2006, 12:17 AM
do a search on the forum "CNC" & you will find a bit of info on what some members have done. I have read a bit about it on the forum, as my brother is also interested in milling timber with a CNC machine. here is a place to start.

http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/cnc_machine.htm

Steve

ohno
16th September 2006, 10:08 AM
Why? Why not:D . I enjoy carving things by hand immensely. Its such a peaceful meditive process, and most pieces i do get designed as i go

However
I also do jewellery CAD design for cnc milling and printing as part of my 9 to five job.

If i buy a machine you be sure as heck that iam going to do some wood work with it.

Thanks guys.
Ben

Harry72
16th September 2006, 07:42 PM
I enjoy carving things by hand immensely. If i buy a machine you be sure as heck that iam going to do some wood work with it.

Sounds good to me, the cnc could be used for architectural type repetitive stuff like carved cornices or mini corbels etc etc.

Ivan in Oz
16th September 2006, 07:50 PM
Why would you want to CNC wood?

Curious in Perth

Derek

Derek,
It is a challenge, if nothing else.

OK!!
I reckon it can't be done...........:rolleyes:
There's the challenge:cool: