PDA

View Full Version : domi retractable pins

whiteant
16th September 2006, 12:48 AM
was putting some draws together today with domi just simple butt joints with 5mmx30mm doms timber size 150mm wide X 20mm thick hoop pine two problems I had were * when iwas plunging into the end grain I was just
indexing in from each side of the timber useing the retractable pins when Ifitted the doms in the holes and put the joint together the side of the draw was about 1mm higher than the draw front so after reading the manual on how to adjust the retractable pin with the screw slot in its sleeve so that this then centres the cutter from each pin, after much adjustment and lots
test cuts the best result was still about .5mm higher on the sides I dont seem to be able to get A level joint has any one else had this problem .
the second problem is when Im plunging into the end grain useing the 5mm cutter sometimes Ill get a1mm or1.5mm difference in the height of the hole
now at first I thought slow down the plunge speed your getting to excited but the truth was I was not plunging that quickly, so after about ten test cuts into the endgrain at a much reduced plunge rate I stillhad 2 holes with
the height difference now its only hoop pine so its soft and yes Im holding
the machine down firm and square on the timber surface for some reason it
just cuts at a different height but only on the end grain cuts and not in the face of the board ? I fitted the 6mm cutter and had no trouble the 5mm cutter is sharp any one else had this happen?

Flowboy
16th September 2006, 11:36 AM
Hi Whiteant,

Well to state the bleeding obvious ( so don't shoot me down:) ) it sounds like the 5mm cutter that has an issue. I am assuming you bought the Domino and the starter pack (i.e. the pack that lets you start work:rolleyes: ) so if you change the 5mm bit from one box to the one from the other, do you still have a problem? Also, another obvious statement, end grain is always a bit more difficult to cut, so it pays to make sure that there is absolutely no movement in the workpiece. I'm sure someone else here will have possible causes and solutions as well.

Hope this helps,

Rob