PDA

View Full Version : Ebony n Ivory

Skewpid
16th September 2006, 01:23 PM
Hey .. Ive got someone thats got an old piano keyboard (just the keyboard, not the whole piano) that still has all the ebony and ivory .. (yes, it really is ebony n ivory)

He wants $50 for it . .

Is it worth it?

I figure the keys are just short of a pen blank, and can be drilled if ya do it very carefully, and with the ivory laminated in, I can get the extra length needed . .

Should I get it??

Ta

Rich.

Wood Butcher
16th September 2006, 02:02 PM
Yep, If i was in sydney I would grab it myself. With normally around 40 chunks of ivory and around 20 of ebony that would allow you to make a few dozen very unique pens!

Go for it!!!

Skewpid
16th September 2006, 02:16 PM
There would be about 36 ebony pieces (hoping wide enough to do some fancy slim lines) and probably only about 30 bits of ivory. The ivory obviously is laminated on top of the timber keys (some have fallen off over time)

Rich

Termite
16th September 2006, 02:53 PM
Hang on hang on, I'm a bit worried about the number of keys you blokes a talking about. I always thought a pyanna had 88 keys.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th September 2006, 04:07 PM
I'd imagine how many keys are available depends on how many disreputable pen-turners have already wandered by with screwdrivers. ;)

Wood Butcher
16th September 2006, 04:09 PM
Hang on hang on, I'm a bit worried about the number of keys you blokes a talking about. I always thought a pyanna had 88 keys.

Sorry you're right. I keep thinking of pipe organ keyboards (my dad's hobby) which typically have 61.:o

Skewpid
16th September 2006, 06:08 PM
I'd imagine how many keys are available depends on how many disreputable pen-turners have already wandered by with screwdrivers. ;)

ok ok, i may have found one that was dislodged .. kinda:cool:

And yeah, 88 keys total, of which I think 36 are black, leaving 52 ivory ? .. is that right?

AND .. has anyone actually made pens from piano keys here??? ..

Ta again

Rich.
:D

soundman
16th September 2006, 09:03 PM
funny you should ask the question. I was speaking to a mate of mine who is a piano tuner & rerstorer

We were thinking of breaking down old junker pianos for the wood & stuff they are made of rather than burning them or taking them to the tip
At tha moment he takes at least 3 or 4 old joeys to the tip every year.

There are heap of old pianos out there that are just mechanicaly past fixing and people who just want you to take them away.

For a lot of people over half a ton of junk sitting in their living room is a real problem.

cheers

ozwinner
16th September 2006, 09:22 PM
I picked up on old organ today........:rolleyes:

No not mine.....:p

A real old organ made from solid cherry and the keys are ebony and ivory, I will start to break it down tomorrow and stash the outcome for later use.

Al :p :cool:

Skewpid
22nd September 2006, 11:48 PM
Ok ..... keyboard in . . (pic 1)

Keyboard stripped :eek: of all bone (pretty sure is bone, not ivory.. but not sure how to tell the difference) , ebony and what looks like beechwood parts . . (pic 2)

Must be envious of the craftsman who make these ... they are such precision instruments hey . . I did feel somewhat guilty pulling the thing apart. ... (pic 3)

Ok, guilt over, gonna make some ruddy nice pens now :cool:

Til next time ..

Rich.

KangaMan
23rd September 2006, 02:12 AM
Skewpid

Have you turned any ivory yet if so how did it go.
We picked up some the other day but havnt had the time to do anything with it so far.
Paid about 50cents a strip .
Dont know if thats fair or not

Skewpid
23rd September 2006, 02:40 AM
Again .. not sure if its ivory, or just bone... would have to be pretty old to actually be ivory . .

Heres a pic of what I did the other day . . or a link . . or something, not sure yet.

Normal to turn, just gotta slow down when ya hit the bone, otherwise you get ridges happening .

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=30747&d=1158679304

Hickory
23rd September 2006, 10:43 AM
Hi guys, I'm not a Pen-er but I saw the Ebony/Ivory title and drew my interest. That is one special looking pen. Jumps right out at you. I often wondered why some get so excited over turning another pen but with the results of your find, I can see why now. I turned a few a while back but lost interest as I was doing the same thing over and over, etc. :(
But with your Ebony pen .... WoW! :eek: Thanks for the posting and getting my interest stimulated.

soundman
23rd September 2006, 11:08 AM
Don't feel guilty, if you don't strip it apart it will end up totaly wasted in the tip or fire.
There has to be plenty of stuff that can be made out of what you have there.
cheers

lubbing5cherubs
23rd September 2006, 11:08 AM
Hickory try different kits there is plenty to keep your taste wet
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
23rd September 2006, 11:10 AM
RIch, when you turned your ebony pen were they black all the way through or are they laminated and you got that by sticking them all together?
Toni

Skewpid
23rd September 2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Toni,

That was made from a solid piece, not laminated with a different core, if thats what you mean.
(yes, the keys are solid ebony)

A real nail biter to drill I tell ya!

Rich.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2006, 02:18 PM
I can't think of any better way (or motive!) to learn how to drill straight. :)

A piano keyboard was offered to me not long ago, but close inspection showed it to be mahogany (I think) for the black keys and, I suspect, casein or bakelite for the whites. Probably bakelite, 'cos they failed the Hydrogen Peroxide test. :( Worse, the black keys were just under 1cm wide... there's no way I could drill 'em out reliably. [sigh]

So, no keeping up with the Joneses for this li'l black duck.

lubbing5cherubs
23rd September 2006, 02:26 PM
'cos they failed the Hydrogen Peroxide test. :( .

what is that test skew?:confused:
Toni:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2006, 02:29 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide?

Just put a drop on the white keys (lightly scrape the surface to expose new material first!) and if it bubbles the key's made of something organic, like ivory or bone. If it doesn't, it's probably artificial.

Leaned that one when I was making new handles for some old "bone" kitchen knives and my pay was going to be the old handles. I got ripped. :(

Skewpid
23rd September 2006, 03:17 PM
Hmmm, must try that one Skew. I just did the old burn method . .

Whack a lighter under it and see what it smells like . . (see? :confused: :confused: what it smells like? .. that doesnt make sense)

Now .. how does one tell the difference between bone and ivory??

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2006, 04:21 PM
Now .. how does one tell the difference between bone and ivory??

You just had to ask, dintcha. :( It ain't easy, AFAIK there's no simple test; it takes close observation.

Ivory is usually evenly coloured (no obvious light or dark patches), often has a very fine straight grain similar to wood and it tends to crack, making "age lines." Put the ivory under a STRONG light (or 10x magnification) and you may be able to make out a wavy, cross-hatched or chevron pattern, formed as the tusk grows. (Do a google for "Schreger lines." ;)) If you rotate it under the light 90° you should NOT be able to see this pattern.

Bone tends to be patchy, sometimes with blotches sorta like parallel lines or "beards." Under magnification it usually shows circular or oval dots, where the veins used to run. (The "Haversian system.") Also, bone isn't a thick material and is often layered up to required thickness, so obvious laminations are suspicious.

Hope this helps!

lubbing5cherubs
23rd September 2006, 04:40 PM
Hey Skew you are such a wealth on information with turning and wood and stuff. Does your brain have much room left to learn things besides wood??
TOni :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2006, 04:55 PM
Google helps a lot. :D:D

But I'm interested in everything & anything... except changing nappies and putting up with politicians & lawyers. ;)

Skewpid
23rd September 2006, 06:21 PM
Hey Skew you are such a wealth on information with turning and wood and stuff. Does your brain have much room left to learn things besides wood??
TOni :D

He is isnt he Toni!

Forget Google ...just go to www.askskewbaby.com (http://www.askskewbaby.com)

Really though, thanks heaps skew, will be having a real close look at my pile of bones when I get home from work .. hopefully not too long now ... and day off tomorrow. BBQ is cancelled so I get the whole day to play in the shop:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lubbing5cherubs
23rd September 2006, 07:10 PM
Rich you forgot to hyperlink that address to back to here. then you be spot on..LOL

No seriously though skew we would miss your great advice. Thanks mate
toni

Skewpid
23rd September 2006, 08:56 PM
. :( Worse, the black keys were just under 1cm wide... there's no way I could drill 'em out reliably. [sigh]

Just measured what Ive got to deal with here :eek: :eek: . . . and yes, the same piece as already turned.

See attached pic

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2006, 09:27 PM
That's about 1mm thicker than what I was offered, but still white-knuckle!

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din! ;):D

Skewpid
23rd September 2006, 10:27 PM
So .. the moral here being?? Its not the size of the *blank* that counts, its the way its held, lowered upon and ... erm .. drilled ?

:o

Thus endeth the thread.