PDA

View Full Version : Hafco lathes

benboy
16th September 2006, 05:53 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Hafco AL-330a lathe. I haven't done any lathe work since I left school 20+ years ago and I would use it mainly for hobby/light work. I browse on a few US sites and they seem to hate with a passion the "Harbour Freight" brand or any brand that comes from China. Has anyone out there had much to do with Hafco lathes and how did you find the quality/longevity of them?

Regards
Benboy

hughie
16th September 2006, 10:55 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Hafco AL-330a lathe. I haven't done any lathe work since I left school 20+ years ago and I would use it mainly for hobby/light work. I browse on a few US sites and they seem to hate with a passion the "Harbour Freight" brand or any brand that comes from China. Has anyone out there had much to do with Hafco lathes and how did you find the quality/longevity of them?

BenBoy,
They are made to a price and so have some limitations. But having said that Hare&Forbes has recently changed thier manufacturer to gain better quality...so they tell me.
However they are a good lathe for the price and the one your looking at is well priced and has all the right gear except perhaps it could do with a coolant pump.
It depends on what you want to do and how well you treat it. If its well looked after theres no reason for it not to last you many years

http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/Catalogues/Metalworking/11.html

I doubt you will need things like quick change toolposts, handy items but spend your money of cutting tools etc, consider using HSS rather than Tungsten tip tools. HSS is the cheaper option

rodm
17th September 2006, 12:12 PM
I have had an Al330A for a couple of years and have had good service from it.
The only complaint I have is they leak oil from everywhere and Hafco do not want to know about it over in Perth. Be aware that geared heads make a lot more noise than belt drive.

Metal Head
17th September 2006, 09:34 PM
I have had an Al330A for a couple of years and have had good service from it.
The only complaint I have is they leak oil from everywhere and Hafco do not want to know about it over in Perth. Be aware that geared heads make a lot more noise than belt drive.

Hi Rod,

I take it you didn't buy it brand new:confused:, as the warranty would have covered it.

Regards
David

China
17th September 2006, 11:27 PM
In my experience hafco do not seem to understand what the word warranty means

rodm
18th September 2006, 03:19 AM
It was new. Hafco kept firm that it was a normal occurance with Chinese lathes and that they could do little to improve it. In the end it was easier to put a baking dish under the cross slide and mop it up with a rag the day after I use it.
It doesn't bother me anymore but I was a bit concerned at first.

Andy Mac
18th September 2006, 07:45 PM
Hi benboy,
I've had a Hafco mill-drill-lathe (Model AL-280p) for 3 or 4 yrs, and although a handy thing to have, I wouldn't recommend one. Not a particularly good build, some poor design options, like the main drive belt speed changing...I wouldn't call it a "system". I don't use it as a drill, enough said. :(
Has anyone on the forum had one of these things, I'd like to hear your opinion?:)
As for their dedicated lathes I don't know, but I wish I'd given one a go and bought a seperate milling machine later.

Cheers,

Edd
24th September 2006, 05:24 PM
My dad owns an AL-340a and it's an excellent machine. If you are considering a 330a and then want to add coolant and a worklight, it may end up better value to go to the 340a. Just like rodm, ours seems to leak a little oil. It's not a huge problem. Hafco also make some taiwanese models, I wonder if they leak oil like the chinese ones do. Also, Hafco lathes are just a different brand of others that appear in USA, such as Grizzly... All out of the same Chinese factory, just a different paint job.