PDA

View Full Version : A Slightly Different Jewellery Box

gazaly
16th September 2006, 09:00 PM
Just finished a Xmas present to order :rolleyes: for my sister-in-law, who lives in the UK. She wanted something that she could hang necklaces and bracelets on so they don't get tangled.

The base, sides and doors are CL and Tas maple, with the top Tas maple burl. The carousel is jarrah, with the felt used to cover the bearing (the carousel can rotate to allow access to all four sides). Finish sanded to 400, a couple of coats of sanding sealer, sand to 800, then 2 coats of Traditional Wax.

The design is my own, taking ideas from a variety of areas. Used a Gifkins for the DT's. I'm pretty happy with the end product, as it achieves exactly what it is supposed too, and I like the look; the timbers seam to meld into each other nicely.

Hope ya like it :D.

gazaly
16th September 2006, 09:03 PM
A couple of closer views.

Doughboy
16th September 2006, 09:12 PM
Gazaly

It looks very usable, I am sure it will be well recieved. Perhaps a draw would not have gone astray but that is nitpicking on my behalf. Well done a lovely jewelery box you have made indeedy bob.

Pete

RufflyRustic
17th September 2006, 09:08 PM
Great work Gazaly! Love the design and the timbers you've used. That is going to be one fantastic gift. Lucky Sis-in-Law :)

cheers
Wendy

AlexS
17th September 2006, 10:25 PM
Very nice, love the detail of the legs. How big is it?

Tex B
17th September 2006, 10:42 PM
Very nice. You've done a beautiful job, and the timber is lovely. Love the feet.

Tex

martrix
17th September 2006, 10:49 PM
Great job Gazaly and 10/10 for originality of design. Is the Tas Myrtle top glued into the CL frame? I only ask because there may be an issue with the myrtle expanding and cracking the frame joints.

Anyway, the Doggies copped a destroyation from the Eagles last night....If I were the crow-eaters, I would be shaking in my boots!

gazaly
17th September 2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks all, much appreciated.

Pete, why didn't ya tell me that a week ago :eek: . That is a great idea and will be used in the updated model for my daughter. Thanks heaps.

AlexS, it stands about 180 high and the top is about 180 square.

Matrix, the top has a floating insert, with about 1mm of space all round. Thanks for the advice. As for the Weagles, they'll be smashed! Great to see a champ like Rowan Smith so passionate about our great game; he'll be missed :(.

thanks again.:)

Sculptured Box
17th September 2006, 11:38 PM
gazaly (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=290)

Well done. It's great to see the amalgam of ideas in a new design!

You can be proud of your craftsmanship.

Harry72
18th September 2006, 01:05 AM
Nice design and execution Gazza.

Wild Dingo
18th September 2006, 02:59 AM
Beautiful mate... just beautiful :cool:

Did you make the carosel? no I mean the spinny thingy under the timber that the timber thingy turns around on! is that a lazy susan at top and bottom?

DPB
18th September 2006, 10:58 AM
Gazaly, this is niece piece. I always admire work that shows personal creativity. I can't recall seeing anything quite like this before - so top marks for design.

May I suggest a couple of things that I believe would improve the finished result no end?

To my eye, the hinges you have chosen detract from the look. I think this piece cries out for hinges crafted from timber. However, if you didn't want to go to that extent, I think good quality brass butt-hinges would have been a better alternative. The same holds for the cup-hooks you have used for jewelry hangers. Small turned timber knobs would look much better and, of course, can still be added. Have a look at Lee Valley's hardware selection - there are many items here that would be an improvement. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/index.aspx?c=1

Finally, perhaps it's just a photographic illusion, but it looks like the lower cross piece has a machine mark in it. It's reminiscent of a thicknesser snipe mark. If this is the case, it's unfortunate that you didn't spot this before assembly, or perhaps finishing. It would have been less of an issue at the rear, or even the side, but when it's at the front, it downgrades the look.

Please don't be offended by my constructive criticisms. My overall impression of this piece is very positive. Keep up the good work.

gazaly
18th September 2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks again all. To answer a few questions:

...To my eye, the hinges you have chosen detract from the look....
I agree. They were the recipiants choice, along with the hooks :( .

...Have a look at Lee Valley's hardware selection
How do you go with shipping costs etc?

...perhaps it's just a photographic illusion, but it looks like the lower cross piece has a machine mark in it.
I think the mark you mean is part of the grain. Just left of the middle on the front, bottom rail.

...Please don't be offended by my constructive criticisms...
Most certainly not. All criticisms is appreciated. If I didn't want it, I wouldn't post the pics :).

...Did you make the carosel...
The carousel is a 50mm lazy susan. Not happy with it though. Will explore other options for next time.

Cheers guys.

Wild Dingo
18th September 2006, 03:21 PM
Cheers for that mate

DPB
18th September 2006, 07:02 PM
T

How do you go with shipping costs etc?

Cheers guys.

Gazaly, shipping is sometimes a killer, but the quality of their hardware is exceptional, and there's nothing worse than looking at a piece you've created and thinking, "If only I had..." You know the old say, "The quality remains long after price is forgotten.";)

Billylad
18th September 2006, 09:42 PM
Your up there gazaly) with the best box.well done,she will love it.

treebutcher
19th September 2006, 02:34 PM
Gazaly

I like the unique design. Looks like something I'd expect to keep a few special pieces, separate from the normal wear (not that I wear jewelry, so I may not know what I'm talking about =)

Matt

gazaly
19th September 2006, 03:56 PM
....not that I wear jewelry...

Well you won't fit in too well here Matt. All posting is supposed to be done whilst wearing full evening gown and pearls :D .

Thanks Matt :) .

Gazaly, shipping is sometimes a killer, but the quality of their hardware is exceptional, and there's nothing worse than looking at a piece you've created and thinking, "If only I had..." You know the old say, "The quality remains long after price is forgotten.";)

Thanks DPB, may have to try some stuff :)