PDA

View Full Version : How do you sharpen drill bits?

Rossluck
17th September 2006, 03:03 PM
Can I ask what members of the forum do to sharpen drill bits? I've tried various methods - short of buying a drill doctor - and none of them seem very satisfactory. When I'm desperate I hand sharpen them on the grinder, but it's hard to get it right.

clubbyr8
17th September 2006, 03:08 PM
I use a Drill Doctor. I don't have the skill, patience or eyesite to do it freehand.

Bob

BobL
17th September 2006, 04:00 PM
I don't sharpen all that often but when I do, I use a grinder. I usually bring a large new bit over to the grinder to remind myself about the right angle to hold the bit.

mic-d
17th September 2006, 04:11 PM
I've got a Multisharp grinding system that can sharpen twist drills, masonary drills (all types), brad point bits and spade bits. Here's a piccy.

http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/power_tool_accessories/grinding/multisharp_drill_tool_bit_sharpener_260387.cfm?sid=1&rid=4&orderby=1
Cheers
Michael

NewLou
17th September 2006, 05:16 PM
Gidday Rossluck:)

Check out this Video:

Small Shop tips and techniques with Jim Cummins

IS available from Taunton press for around 20 bucks. Jim goes through some great demos one of which is sharpening drill bits. IS a great Video Highly recommended.

After a bit of practice you will be sharpening drill bits free hand without a drama.

REgards Lou:)

Ivan in Oz
17th September 2006, 06:09 PM
Slowly and with Practice, Practice, Practice.

Heaps of Practice and Slowly:)

Studley 2436
17th September 2006, 10:48 PM
An easy way to learn how to sharpen a drill is to get a big one and have a try on that. Being big it will help you get a feel for the way that the angles go.

That is good if you have a inch and half or two inch drill lying around seeing you likely don't this is what I have learned.

Hold the drill with your left hand on the tool rest and your right hand on the shank of the drill

Start with the cutting edge that is to touch the grinding wheel at an angle of about 30º lower at the outside of the drill than it's centre.

Grind by lowering your right hand as you feed it in. You will have to feed it in a bit to grind the back of the drill away from it's cutting edge as well as it's cutting edge. While you do this twist the drill.

Do the same on the other side to keep it even.

OK now check your drill.

The cutting edge should be first thing that is going to contact the job. Be careful that it isn't a bit lower than the stuff behind it. Check the Chisel in the middle between the two cutting edges. Ideally it is square or it is angled to make each cutting edge longer than if it were square.

Chance are the chisel will be angled the wrong way because you are just starting. If it is put more angle down on the drill when you start.

It is a bit of a practice thing. Try sharpening your bigger drills first to get a feel for it. Little ones that are 3 and 4 mm really take some skill.

Studley

derekcohen
17th September 2006, 11:26 PM
I have a 3" diamond-impregnated grinding wheel. I just chuck this on the drill press and grind the drill bits by eye.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lignum
17th September 2006, 11:35 PM
Im a shocker:o When mine get blunt i just go and buy a new one.

felixe
17th September 2006, 11:38 PM
Yup, guilty as well:o

sawdustmike
17th September 2006, 11:56 PM
Engineers have had a field day with this subject. Try not to get to involved in the technical aspects of angles, remember, your standard twist drill is a severe compromise but heavily biased towards drilling steel. If you are drilling steel there are three things to remember 1. make sure the cutting edge is the only bit that touches, 2. make sure the cutting edges are the same angle, 3. and the same length. These things also go for wood but there are better things for drilling timber than the standard twist drill. Apart from all that try using a 10mm drill for practice. Once you get the hang of it, it is not that hard. As said above go slowly and get a light on the grinder.

soundman
18th September 2006, 12:18 AM
Sharpening drills realy isn't that hard.

Any of you blokes that buy new ones instead.... put you blunt ones in a milo tin & when its full send it to me....betts chuckin them out:D

I am surprised how many blokes i know who I consider reasonably capable... cant or wont sharpen drills:confused:

I was walking round the wood show last time & heard one bloke say to another.

Oooo those brad points are very hard to sharpen.... almost felt like smacking him in the back of the head.... I recon larger brad points are easier than standard twist bits... as long as you have a grinder wheel with a square edge.

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th September 2006, 12:45 AM
I was walking round the wood show last time & heard one bloke say to another.

Oooo those brad points are very hard to sharpen.... almost felt like smacking him in the back of the head.... I recon larger brad points are easier than standard twist bits... as long as you have a grinder wheel with a square edge.

:confused: Brad points I simply hold in a vice and lightly touch up with a small triangular file and diamond lap. Much easier than a grinding wheel...

Grahame Collins
18th September 2006, 07:38 AM
Here a previous thread on drill sharpening

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=218455#post218455

Rossluck
20th September 2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks people. Much appreciated.