PDA

View Full Version : This is a test: ('nother one)

OGYT
18th September 2006, 01:31 PM
What's wrong with this picture? :mad: :o :D

(Hughie, this is one of the Banksia Pods on the lathe.)

hughie
18th September 2006, 02:37 PM

Well its certaintly secure.....not sure how your gonna turn it tho' In fact its the most secure pod I have ever seen....:D :D :D

tool pics on the way ;)

hughie

TTIT
18th September 2006, 03:24 PM

You mean apart from that lathe being WAY too clean ????? :eek::eek::eek:

OGYT
18th September 2006, 03:33 PM

Yep. And apart from the tailstock being in the way.:cool:

Throwin an old t-shirt over the ways keeps the glue and finishes off. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th September 2006, 03:44 PM
And the lathe being on the wrong side of the big puddle...

Jim Carroll
18th September 2006, 04:39 PM
Are you trying to wear it down with the rollers or do the rollers have cutters on them.

ptc
18th September 2006, 06:00 PM
Ern
could use that on his Goblet !

DJ’s Timber
18th September 2006, 07:02 PM
You can't lock down the banjo cause the handle hits the jig and therefore you can't get it in close enough to the banksia pod. I also think that you have the banjo on the wrong side of the jig

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th September 2006, 07:09 PM
You can't lock down the banjo cause the handle hits the jig and therefore you can't get it in close enough to the banksia pod. I also think that you have the banjo on the wrong side of the jig

If the banjo locking lever won't work both ways it lowers my opinion of a certain lathe brand... :confused:

baxter
18th September 2006, 07:32 PM

As Skew mentioned, the locking handle should lock both ways. But with this situation the banjo could possibly be angled across the bed to give clearance to the handle. Is the problem then that the toolrest can'g fit close between the headstock/chuck and the jig.

Not familiar with Oneway Lathes, but where is the locking handle for the tailstock?

ss_11000
18th September 2006, 09:43 PM

i thought that too. :D

Terry B
18th September 2006, 10:10 PM
Absolutely. Obviously owned by someone with a cleaning fetish :p:p:p

Captain Chaos
18th September 2006, 10:17 PM
So it woz you who pinched the wheels off of one of my roller blades!!:eek: No wonder I keep goin round in circles.:confused::D
Actually Al, I reckon that you'd have virtually no room to swing / move your gouges / chisels when trying to turn the pod - they'd keep fouling the steady. Plus , I'm not too wrapped in the threaded rod sticking up like that. Possible eye injury etc opportunity presented there.:eek::(
Regards,
Barry.

cedar n silky
18th September 2006, 10:34 PM

I love threaded rod!:D But you could cut quite a few inches off either end on the timbers. Can't see the need for them to be anywhere near that long (just in the way), but a nice concept for a steady!!!:)

OGYT
19th September 2006, 05:08 AM
I also think that you have the banjo on the wrong side of the jig DJ, you hit the nail on the head. Got it all set up to try out the new steady rest, and couldnt' find the toolrest! :eek: Ended up havin' to redo the whole thing. :rolleyes:

Skew: "If the banjo locking lever won't work both ways it lowers my opinion of a certain lathe brand... :confused:" Raise the opinion back up, Skew, it locks both ways. :D

Jim, Skew, Terry, and SS, :D :D

Barry, Hah Hah! I got yore wheels!! :eek: ... this to Cedar, too; it's truly necessary for the threaded rod to be that long, if I've got a large vessel mounted to hollow out. This will fit up to a 45 cm vessel, so's I can use it outboard too. And my spindle is high enough (49"/124.4cm) that my eyes ain't in jeopardy. :cool:

I finished the outside of the pod before I put the steady rest in place, so I only have to hollow and finish the inside to be done with it. I take really light cuts on the pod, so the shavings (sawdust size, really) go through the seed holes, and don't interfere with the wheels.

This pic shows the way it shoulda looked. Cleaning fetish...:p :p :p

baxter
20th September 2006, 12:14 AM
The answer is pretty obvious now that you have told us.

But I would still like to know where the locking handle is on the tailstock.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2006, 12:23 AM
But I would still like to know where the locking handle is on the tailstock.

:confused: It's in plain view... see that black dot in the front of the tailstock? I'd say that's one end of it. If you look closely at the top of the tailstock, you'll see a brassy rod peeking over... that's the business end of it.

ie. it's in exactly the same place as the ones' on all of my lathes. ;)

baxter
20th September 2006, 01:02 AM
Thanks Skew.

On the lathes that I have used - MC900 types, several Vicmarc and DVR - the tailstock locking handle has been on the operators side or back of the tailstock. Not come across one where the handle is on the opposite side. Glad I asked. Now I know.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2006, 01:20 AM
Oh? Both of my MC-900s and my Leda mini's have it on the back. But I will admit I just popped out to the shed to double-check and make sure. :) When I read your reply I started wondering "am I really sure?" ...even though I've been using the old beast all day.

It's funny how there are some things we do so often without thinking they take a major effort to actually visualise! :o

Now we both know. :D

baxter
20th September 2006, 01:32 AM
Skew, my LITS arrived in Melbourne today to visit our daughter. She only took warm clothes. Hope it wasn't too cold when you went to the shed

hughie
20th September 2006, 01:55 AM
This pic shows the way it shoulda looked. Cleaning fetish...:p :p :p

Al
I gotta admit, tis the cleanest used lathe I 've seen in awhile. Y'know you can get counselling for that sort of thing :D :D :D

pics ok? gonna do one final test and then its on its way... a week to ten days.

cedar n silky
20th September 2006, 08:27 AM

Al, I gather you got the Banksia pod from Australia? No dramas getting it through customs? Or do they grow over in the USA. Love to see the finished product. Could you put a picture up?
I hear (never turned a Banksia pod) that the dust from them is particularly nasty, or maybe I'm confusing that with our native grass tree (locally known as "black boys") Very fire tolerant plant that has evolved over thousands of years in bush fire prone areas. Has a big trunk that turns up a treat (apparantly). Have you heard of it or seen it? Maybe that's your next challenge, if you can get one into the US. :D

OGYT
20th September 2006, 08:56 AM
Al
I gotta admit, tis the cleanest used lathe I 've seen in awhile. Y'know you can get counselling for that sort of thing :D :D :D
pics ok? gonna do one final test and then its on its way... a week to ten days.

I didn't know I was such a clean freak!:eek: Working hard now, to mussie it up a bit.;) The pics were fine. Looks like a winner to me! I've got some feelers out, and waitin' on emails about the turquoise. I'll get it.

Al, I gather you got the Banksia pod from Australia? No dramas getting it through customs? Or do they grow over in the USA. Love to see the finished product. Could you put a picture up?
I hear (never turned a Banksia pod) that the dust from them is particularly nasty.

Cedar, got the pods. They came through without a hitch. Ruined the first one due to a dumb catch.:mad: The one in the pic is finished, so I'll get a pic in this post. When I was turning it, all I got was dust... or little tiny crumbs of wood. I have a fan blowin' over my shoulder, towards a window with two exhaust fans. I did sneeze a bit, last night, after I finished it.
Speakin' of growing over here, I'd like to have a few of the seeds!!:eek: :cool: :D Might see if they'll grow in West Texas.:p
Blackboy tree sounds interesting... got a pic of a turning from one?

This little vase is the third time I've turned a Banksia Pod. Haven't quite got the guts to try a box with finial yet. Maybe later. This is finished with a rub-on sealer of 25Lacquer/75thinner. Rubbed dry, and buffed with Carnauba. Not much, but it's different.

hughie
20th September 2006, 09:58 AM
the guts to try a box with finial yet. Maybe later. This is finished with a rub-on sealer of 25Lacquer/75thinner. Rubbed dry, and buffed with Carnauba. Not much, but it's different.
This little vase is the third time I've turned a Banksia Pod. Haven't quite got
[/quote]

Al,
I gotta admit I have held off having a crack at mine till I saw your effort. :D :D :D I reckon they will be a bit delicate, gonna have revise my 'bull at a gate' policy for turning :eek: :D

First time at the pods, I reckon it turned out just fine. Hmmm boxes 'n finials....might leave that to Cindy Drozda for the moment .

Here you go, I suspect it would grow in Texas
http://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/services/environment/greening/plants.cfm?inc=grass_tree

http://jackdevos.com/grasstree.cgi pics of some bowls, interesting site.

cedar n silky
20th September 2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Hughie:D . Appreciate you posting those links for our Texan freind, and me!;) Have you had a go at Grass trees yourself?? Have you heard of any specific health risks associated with the dust. I reckon Al will be wanting some grass tree seeds as well!!(If not an actual grass trees!)
Reckon they would grow fine in Texas don't you?

cedar n silky
20th September 2006, 01:02 PM
Oh and thanks Al for posting the picture. Nice job you've done:D Bl--dy tricky I'm sure!

hughie
20th September 2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks Hughie:D . Appreciate you posting those links for our Texan freind, and me!;) Have you had a go at Grass trees yourself?? Have you heard of any specific health risks associated with the dust. I reckon Al will be wanting some grass tree seeds as well!!(If not an actual grass trees!)
Reckon they would grow fine in Texas don't you?

Cedar, your entirely welcome. As to gass trees, nah! not yet. Dust, I tend to look on all dust as toxic.......saves doing the research on every new bit of timber :D :D ......it appeals to my laziness.........;) :D

Dont actually see many grass trees around where I am, other than nurseries. They might take a dim view if I lopped one down and ran off with the trunk..........:p NSW Govt. has, I think a protection order on them. I have toyed with doing a palm tree tho'.

OGYT
20th September 2006, 02:26 PM
I reckon they will be a bit delicate, gonna have revise my 'bull at a gate' policy for turning :eek: :D

Here you go, I suspect it would grow in Texas

Fast RPM and light cuts (better keep the bull outside the gate :D ), Hughie. Sharp tools, also. If I remember right, I must've been spinning up around 1400-1500. :eek: Sharper the tool, the easier to shape it the way you want. (guess that'll work for anything, tho' :confused: )

Growin' here in Texas? I was talkin' about the Banksia Seeds. Checked out the link, though. It (Grass Tree) would probably grow here too. Checked out the Banksia Tree on Wikepedia.com. We get just the right amount of rainfall to make it work here... 400mm per year average. They make a pretty plant, too.

Light cuts.....:D

Gil Jones
20th September 2006, 02:28 PM
Well, Al, I reckon you passed this test. That pod vase looks real good.
Your lathe does look a bit on the way to clean side. Oh, my little General tailstock lock-leaver is on the back side too.

OGYT
20th September 2006, 02:37 PM
http://jackdevos.com/grasstree.cgi pics of some bowls, interesting site.

Cedar and Hughie, that plant looks just like our Yucca plant and the Sotol plant, both grow about 250k South of here. Next time I'm down that way, I'm going to dig up one and see if the roots big enough to turn somethin.:D
Mexican folks across the Rio Grande make a wild style of white lightnin' from the Sotol plant.:eek: :p

Thanks for the info.

OGYT
20th September 2006, 02:47 PM
Well, Al, I reckon you passed this test. That pod vase looks real good. Your lathe does look a bit on the way to clean side. Oh, my little General tailstock lock-leaver is on the back side too.

Thanks Gil, and Cedar... shaky as I am, I really got nervous turnin' the pod. :eek: I had knocked a few chips out of the first one I turned, and it made me paranoid I guess. But the light application of the gouge and Oland tools did alright on this one. No chips. :cool: Had to use a little CA on some cracks when I got inside the hairy stuff.

We're takin' the baby to Amarillo (for his second checkup since the wreck) tomorrow. (He's doing really well, growing like a weed, and really lovin' his grampa and gramma) When I get back I'm gonna dirty that thing up and take a pic.:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2006, 04:00 PM
Al, the banksia pods also make nice little winged bowls when chucked "sideways." Not much use for anything apart from mounting a candlestick holder in, but very pretty. (Then again, that describes much of my work! :D)

Just split one lengthwise down the middle and you have two blanks. They're mongrels to chuck safely though. :rolleyes:

OGYT
24th September 2006, 01:43 PM
Skew, how would you go about chucking one of those split pods? Glue block? I saw one kinda what you described, and I'd like to try it.

tashammer
24th September 2006, 02:14 PM
"Flimsy looking lathe though", he said bitterly and then kicked the dog forgetting he had no dog so he ended up falling backwards and banging his head on the floor. Which just goes to show you what happens when you break the Commandments, you know, the one that says "Though shalt not covet a mans lathe nor his other tools, nor his collection of exotic and fancy woods".

Hey, maybe we could a have a "10 Commandments of a Woodturner" competition or maybe each person adds some, then they are sorted into a list and voted on as to popularity or hilarity and a final 10 C's drawn up?

OGYT
25th September 2006, 04:21 PM
Been 7 days now, and still no cracks, and not too much movement. :D Seems a lot lighter... (don't have any scales).

not like fish...:eek: I mean Scales to weigh with... just knew some of you would come up with something about that....:D

OGYT
25th September 2006, 04:27 PM
Hey, maybe we could a have a "10 Commandments of a Woodturner" competition or maybe each person adds some, then they are sorted into a list and voted on as to popularity or hilarity and a final 10 C's drawn up?

You start it, and I'll bet someone will add to it!:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th September 2006, 07:48 PM
Skew, how would you go about chucking one of those split pods? Glue block? I saw one kinda what you described, and I'd like to try it.

I've only done the one and I used a glue block. The other half is still rattling around on my shelves. :o

After splitting down the middle I simply ran it through the bandsaw (split face against the fence) to form a flat for the block, then gave the surface a fairly hefty soak in CA to stabilise it before affixing the block.

'Twas not one of my great successes (ie. don't expect pictures. :p) but that was lack of fore-thought and poor form, not hassles with method.

Touchwood
26th September 2006, 01:22 AM
Banksia NUTS guys ... read something mildly amusing on a US site (selling said items) that stated the banksia nuts came from the desert area in the south west of western australia - given this is where I live, amongst some of the most beautiful bush land in the country, I spluttered a bit:eek: :eek: :eek:

They are tricky beasties to turn as they are quite soft - the Bull banksia (very large compared to other varieties) are better as they have more wood. Yhey are suppose to be very nasty from a dust point if view, and when I was doing classes at TAFE, were a banned wood.

Black boy or, more politically correct, grass trees, is a very dark wood. These plants only grow about 2.5cm a year.

Growin' here in Texas? I was talkin' about the Banksia Seeds.
They are easily grown, but do not like fertilizers nor being disturbed. We lost many that ended up beside the drive way due to root disturbance.

JD

OGYT
27th September 2006, 02:18 PM
Banksia NUTS guys ...
Oh, you mean the SEEDS are called NUTS? Or the whole pod?:confused: :p

They are tricky beasties to turn as they are quite soft - the Bull banksia (very large compared to other varieties) are better as they have more wood.

Quite soft? :eek: I been tellin' people the ones I turned were hard as bricks...:p so, must be you're talkin' about the fuzzy stuff on the surface?:confused:

Not bein' persnickety... just curious.:D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th September 2006, 02:47 PM
Banksia NUTS guys ... read something mildly amusing on a US site (selling said items) that stated the banksia nuts came from the desert area in the south west of western australia - given this is where I live, amongst some of the most beautiful bush land in the country, I spluttered a bit:eek: :eek: :eek:

They are tricky beasties to turn as they are quite soft - the Bull banksia (very large compared to other varieties) are better as they have more wood.

We source ours from out your way, as the local Vic stuff is truly 'orrible to turn. The individual pods are humongous and rather erratically spaced around the nut... and, as you suggested, rather spindly in the centre. Very weak, tend to break during turning. :(

The WA ones we bring in (I assume they're Bull Banksia?) not only have more "wood" but the seed pods are smaller, more numerous and more evenly distributed.

Yhey are suppose to be very nasty from a dust point if view, and when I was doing classes at TAFE, were a banned wood.

We won't turn 'em at demos, not so much because of the dust hazard as because of the risk of seeds flying out of the nut. We have screens in front (back?) of our lathes to protect observers, but if the mesh was fine enough to catch the seeds then no-one'd see anything. :rolleyes: