PDA

View Full Version : Redgum Platter

Grizz
18th September 2006, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd show off the redgum platter I made for some friends. They gave me a nice slab and I decided to make this from it to say thanks. It's 35 cm in diameter and finished with EEE Wax, 3 coats of Shellawax then a final coat of Traditional Wax. Just have to love the sponsors products.

Grizz.

cedar n silky
18th September 2006, 09:43 PM
That looks REAL nice:) . Gotta love that grain;) .
Nice job!

OGYT
19th September 2006, 05:24 AM
That redgum's quite pretty wood. Platter looks nice, too. Seems to be a seamstress in the house, too. Sewin' and Sawin' goin' on... That's the way her highness and I are known about, here in West Texas. :o)

Now Grizz, don't get huffy when you see me post something about my old lathe... I call it Old Griz. (Grin) Don't mean nothin' by it.

Farnk
19th September 2006, 08:46 PM
Xelent work mate, well done.

Vote 1 Redgum for world's greatest turning wood.
Mainly because that's all I've been able to get my hands on lately!

BernieP
19th September 2006, 09:36 PM
Hi Grizz
Love that wood also my type of shape for platter what size is it?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th September 2006, 09:50 PM
Nice work, it's not easy finding a piece large enough for a platter. :)

I trust you CA'd the fracture line while turning?

hughie
20th September 2006, 01:25 AM
Just thought I'd show off the redgum platter I made for some friends. They gave me a nice slab and I decided to make this from it to say thanks.

Grizz, nice one, I wish my efforts with Redgum were as successful as yours...........sigh...moved too much.cracked 'n split all to b....... :(

TTIT
20th September 2006, 09:08 AM
Looks good Grizz :) Ya reckon that Redgum would be the national timber if we had one? We've got Golden wattle for the flower, opal for the gemstone etc - what about a national timber - all those in favour......:D

hughie
20th September 2006, 09:49 AM
:) Ya reckon that Redgum would be the national timber if we had one? We've got Golden wattle for the flower, opal for the gemstone etc - what about a national timber - all those in favour......:D

Hmmmm, national timber, why not we got national everything else :D :D

Grizz
20th September 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. It helps when others in the know appreciate your work. A few answers: Skew, I used 5 min epoxy to fill the fracture lines (but I did let it set for a few days before turning it). It was easy getting a piece big enough, was given a whole slab. The platter is a gift for the people who gave it to me. OGYT, hey I feel honoured that your lathe shares the name, it probably got it the same way I did, being a cantankerous old so and so :D. Hughie, spent a lot of time on this. Kept glueing the fractures and only taking small cuts each time. It did tend to move a bit, but not too drastically. TTIT, yes, should be the national timber. Hard as nails, tough as b****** but can finish up lovely. What more could you ask for.

Again, thanks all.

Grizz.