PDA

View Full Version : Circle Turner

damienhazo
18th September 2006, 10:39 PM
I love rounded forms and build a lot of round furniture, wooden wheels, curved drawers, corner shelves, etc.

A while back, I went my local aluminium supplyer and bought:

Rectangular extrusion
Rectangular bar (that slides in the rectangle with minimal play)I then went to a mate of mine with a machining bed who then cut a nice long opening in the top of the rectangle.

The next step was to make a few threaded holes in the bar for positioning the bar in the desired position when routing (plastic screws wont burr the alu and are recommended)

Using my mate's lathe, we then made a 4 mm threaded brass spindle. A flat base was left and a 6 mm threaded attaching point.

Two 6 mm threaded holes were then made in the bar to take the spindle - one at each end. Having a hole at the other end allows for larger circles if the bar cannot be slid out and turned around - as is the case with mine. The reason the spindle is not permanently attached is simple. It can easily be removed when I'm not using it.

If small circles aren't needed, the bar off a mitre fence on an existing channel running parallel to the bit can be adjusted to suit this purpose.

Now all I have to do to make a perfect circle is set the spindle at the desired radius from the bit and turn the work piece over a flute bit. 3 or 4 mm each pass and it soon pops through, leaving me with a perfect circle. I can then easily cut the circle into 4 equal pieces and I've got the shelves for a corner cabinet... I can turn a circle's outside edge, then move the spindle closer. Turn out a channel then move the spindle for the inside cut to make a piece of curved railing. This is the same method I use for making curved wooden railway tracks...

I use it all the time and hope this inspires someone to make their own.

Damien

noodle_snacks
8th October 2006, 09:03 PM
I am constantly routing circles, and i usually use a jig that attaches to the base plate of my smaller black and decker 1100w router with a carb-i-tool 1/4in solid carbide spiral upcut bit. I build many speakers, and using the little 1/4in bit is a bit small for doing speaker driver recesses, i think building your design into my router table with my 2100w 1/2in router and a larger diameter straight cutter might be the way to go for that sort of cut.