PDA

View Full Version : That’s Not a Piece of Wood!!!

cypher
19th September 2006, 03:46 AM
So, we had an interesting shop experience this weekend. My mother-in-law went out to the shop to cut a tree post shorter on the chop saw. She fired it up and went to make her cut, when she looked down and was very surprised to see a 5-foot albino python staring back at her. Now we live in the Central Valley of California and not exactly albino python territory so something was a little off. Turns out the python belonged to our neighbor and she had been missing for 2 weeks. No harm no foul. Snake was returned but my mother-in-law will not be back in the shop for a while.

For those of you who may not know what an Albino Python looks like, try having this slither out from under your chop saw.

http://www.colchester-zoo.co.uk/images/uploaded/albino%20python.JPG

Stuart
19th September 2006, 04:18 AM
#### me - that would result in a shop accident!!

My shed has a few pet redbacks (same family as black widows), but to have a snake distract me while using a saw would likely prove disasterous!

Underdog
19th September 2006, 04:38 AM
Harmless or not, I'd have been jumping out of the way! Nothing like a snake to scare the bejeebers outa ya...:eek:

And I kindof like snakes.

Hickory
19th September 2006, 07:11 AM
Snake was returned but my mother-in-law will not be back in the shop for a while.

Where can I get one of these? :rolleyes: Does ity really keep your Mother-in-law away? :D How long will the effect last or will it wear off too soon? :(

Toasty
19th September 2006, 08:30 AM
Snake was returned but my mother-in-law will not be back in the shop for a while.

I would say mission accomplished then ;)

TTIT
19th September 2006, 08:45 AM
For those of you who may not know what an Albino Python looks like, try having this slither out from under your chop saw.

I know what a python looks like but what the hell is a chop saw!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Wood Butcher
19th September 2006, 08:51 AM
I know what a python looks like but what the hell is a chop saw!!!:confused::confused::confused:
Another name for a circular mitre saw.

lubbing5cherubs
19th September 2006, 09:14 AM
Man he is a pretty looking snake, but I would of had wings on these feet. My heart would of been in my mouth to choke out the scream. He would cast a nice pen though..like these here (http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2991). But only to the original shock kicked in. My brother and grandma have always had carpet snakes in there shed they are not too big of a worry. They are good mousers.
bye Toni

OGYT
19th September 2006, 09:40 AM
If that thing was in my shop, and I saw it, I'd have to change my britches! No brag... just fact.

Waldo
19th September 2006, 11:26 AM
G'day,

C'mon it's only a python, it's not going to eat you. But don't tell the MIL that. ;)

Farmer FIL, the first thing he does is kill all snakes then goes, "Oh it was a python, didn't need to kill that" :mad:

Nice looking snake too.

soundman
19th September 2006, 04:28 PM
I was sitting in my workshop makin up some cables one day.
Iooked up to see a small red bellied black snake (yess venomous) about 2 foot long calmy slither in my front roll er door and out the side door :confused: seemed to know exactly where it was going..... you right there mate? know where you'r going?

opened the side door one other time to be confrunted by a small red bellied black snake about 18 inches long right in front of me looking agressive.:eek:

grabbed an old bed sheet and usher him out the door. Not the same snake the kookabugers sorted him out quick smart.

Was calmly working away in my workshop one day, in comes Mrs Neibour in a fluster..... seems there was a carpet snake curled up behind the garage fridge.... so I wanders over......... there's at least 3 grown men and a coulpe of teen age boys and assorted women folk not knowing what to do.....so I asks for a broom and a sack and calmly captures the docile thing..... MRS neibour insists on a "humane relocation" a long way away.

SWMBO returns home to hear the tail & wants to know where the snake was & why it hadn't been installed in our backyard:D

Remember this is Australia ..... everything bites.

cheers

jmk89
19th September 2006, 04:33 PM
But does albino python poo keep possums away?

Cheers

Jeremy

cedar n silky
19th September 2006, 09:02 PM
I am selling (at cost price) these excellent mother in law deterants!:D This one pictured is at least 2 meters long and there are quite a few that hang around the back of my house. I am concerned at how BIG they are getting, and one in particular now stands it ground and "challenges me". It knows I'm not as young as I used to be, because before they would move away if I got near!!:eek: As you can see my goannas are partial to the brown ale. I don't mind them really!!;) I have quite a few large pythons as well around the place, and they even come in the house and workshop, and do a sterling job keeping the rodents at bay! They (the Goeys) particularly like the silky oak tree as the bark is perfect for hanging on to, as they sun themselves!!:D :) Now that it is warming up, they are coming out of hibernation!!:rolleyes:

Christopha
19th September 2006, 09:05 PM
Was turnin away one fine day, kept getting the feeling I was being watched, kept checking to see if someone had driven up etc..... couldn't shake the feeling, came smoko time swithched off the lathe, stepped back and there sitting on the fluoro light about ba foot above my scone is a bloody Eastern Rosella, not at all fazed by me, we had a yarn for a couple of minutes and then we both wandered away..... NICE! Was cleaning out a box of old toolos one day also inna shed when an ENORMOUS rat ran up my arm, off my shoulder and away, I sqealed (no offence ladies!) like a bum pinched sheila!!! NOT NICE!!! And then there was the flamin Tiger snake........

Terry B
19th September 2006, 11:33 PM
Nice snake.
I went for a walk yesterday in my paddock to check out the bunnies (or lack there of as I have been baiting them over the weekend). I looked down and then proceded to jump a metre or so into the air. I had just stood on a snake skin- fortunately not the snake. It is about 1.2 metres long and about 4cm across and comes from a very venonous brown snake. It wasn't there the day before as I had been spreading baits and would have seen it. The worry now is that the snake is around somewhere --- but where?
Must wear boots! :mad::mad::mad:

dazzler
20th September 2006, 12:20 AM
When I was an apprentice mechanic we had a bloke who treated us like, well apprentices, so decided to get him back.

Due to his irrational fear of snakes we ordered a dead'n from the road crew. In comes a dead black snake about three foot long that we sat in the top of tool tray and tied his neck to the inside of the lid so that when he opened it the snake would pop up:rolleyes:

Then we hid behind a grader as he came in,opened it up and screemed, jumped back and tripped over and cut his head on a dozer grouzer plate:o

poor bastard;)

hughie
20th September 2006, 01:46 AM
Due to his irrational fear of snakes we ordered a dead'n from the road crew.

Dunno if I would want a snake visitor in my shed/garage. Although we had 5' red belly black snake come up the driveway one day. Had all the women folk running every which away. :eek: This being suburbia I figured he was enroute to somehwere else....never saw him again...not sorry tho :D

Harry72
20th September 2006, 02:14 AM
We get lots of king browns here big buggers, the real scarey bastards are out at telowie beach hiding in the seaweed... death adders!(very agro and deadly)

Exador
20th September 2006, 08:09 AM
#### me - that would result in a shop accident!!

My shed has a few pet redbacks (same family as black widows),

Actually, I think they're the same species. Apparently regarded as the most widely-distibuted spider species in the world, due to their hardiness and the vact that they tend to live in stuff that humans carry about the place. They're really very interesting little critters.

soundman
20th September 2006, 10:42 AM
Boots & long trousers.... always.

Steve Irwin always made me shake my head....... playing with snakes in short strides.:eek:

cheers