PDA

View Full Version : new to wood turning

A.WILLIAMS
20th September 2006, 01:50 AM
As the title reads i'm green to wood turning, did a little bit in high school in AG class but nothin major, borrowed a wood lathe from a guy that i know but its not the best in the world made by cummins industrial tool, plan on getting me a better lathe as money becomes less tight, just had a new baby. Any suggestions on some good wood lathes that wont break the bank, i've been looking at the harbour freight ones and some of the jet ones but not really sure. Also is there any where that i can find a description of what all these tools are suppose to be used for, and what there called, i'll try an post a picture of the set of tools that came with the lathe but if not i can describe them for you guys.

OGYT
20th September 2006, 09:13 AM
Welcome to your most enjoyable addiction, AWilliams. :D Just a little advice (you asked for it ;) ) from an old guy: Buy a really good lathe to start with, and you won't be sorry. I coulda saved 600 dollars if I'd took my own advice.:eek:
My first was a Sears Craftsman 12x36 tubular bed. Lasted through four legs, numerous candlesticks, and about two spins of a chunk of Mesquite. Bent the 3/4" shaft of the headstock. One of my better stupid tricks.:mad:
My next lathe is a Grizzly 5979 12X36 gap bed lathe. Head and tails don't line up like they ought. The motor is just 1/2 horse, so it stopped cold, the first time I used a real bowl gouge on it. However, I've turned a lot on it, and am satisfied with the price/quality combination (you get what you pay for).
Now I have a Oneway 1640, and I'll never need a bigger or better lathe.
Should have bought it first, but I didn't even know they made 'em then.
Some others will chime in here, and may give better advice.
Welcome aboard!

hughie
20th September 2006, 09:41 AM
As the title reads I'm green to wood turning, did a little bit in high school in AG class but nothin major, borrowed a wood lathe from a guy that i know but its not the best in the world made by cummins industrial tool, plan on getting me a better lathe as money becomes less tight, just had a new baby. Any suggestions on some good wood lathes that wont break the bank, i've been looking at the harbour freight ones and some of the jet ones but not really sure. Also is there any where that i can find a description of what all these tools are suppose to be used for, and what there called, i'll try an post a picture of the set of tools that came with the lathe but if not i can describe them for you guys

AWilliams,

Welcome aboard! This is a good place to gain info, you can join or just lurk, no worries.

Perhaps as you live on the other 'side' :D and a lot of us are down under. Have a chat to the likes of Hickory, OGYT, Gil etc for the latest on lathes, suppliers, prices etc.The a lot more to many to mention here, they get you pointed in the right direction.

Don't worry about your small beginnings.... the very best had to start some where ;) :D. Its not the start, but rather how you travel. A bit like turning a bowl, its all about the process :D and the finish :D
cya

A.WILLIAMS
20th September 2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the encourageing words guys, yeah i didnt realize that this forum was based in australia but heck who cares i see theres some guys in here from the states the point is that we can all learn from one another and that the mod team i dont think will take any crap like some of the other wood working fourms i lurked at before i found this place. I think my first major step towards some major wood turning would be to learn how to use the tools properly and i'm sure if some of you guys saw me useing a wood lathe you'd be slapping me in the back of the head. The only tool that i've really got the hang of useing would be the roughing gouge, dont know why but sometimes one end of my wood ends up bigger then the other end, not sure how thats happening but I think it might have to do with not properly sharpening the tools, tried to sharpen them on a regular bench grinder, big no no, but i got most of them back in shape in the vise with a file.

hcbph
20th September 2006, 10:30 AM
First thing you need to do is figure out what you want to turn. Bowls and dishes vs spindles and legs. Different projects direct a person to a different type of lathe. Same thing with accessories, some overlap but some are unique to each use.

Paul

lubbing5cherubs
20th September 2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome mate, but be warned the lathe is one of the cheapest parts. Then it the new press drill, the new parts for the lathe, the new band saw, the new chainsaw and the list keeps growing. The other thing when buying a lathe think about what are the things you would mostly like doing. For me I love little things so a mini was perfect for me but if you want to get into bowls you may want to look with the swivel head. It may save you buying two lathes down the road.
HTH some or just ignore me.
Toni

TTIT
20th September 2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the encourageing words guys, yeah i didnt realize that this forum was based in australia but heck who cares i see theres some guys in here from the states the point is that we can all learn from one another and that the mod team

Better off here anyway mate! - you even get to learn another language:D just
ask Gil, Al and Hickory - they're slowly catching on!;)

The only tool that i've really got the hang of useing would be the roughing gouge, dont know why but sometimes one end of my wood ends up bigger then the other end, not sure how thats happening Sounds like you might be twisting your upper torso and finishing with your body/gouge at a different angle to where you started. Try sort of swaying along with the tool. (Think I'll leave the tutorial stuff to Skew - that sounds ridiculous:()
Welcome aboard anyway!:D

Terry B
20th September 2006, 11:29 AM
Welcome to the group. There are lots of people here with lots of good advice. I had the same question some months ago and it was suggested to try the generic MC900 or MC1100 lathes. They are not expensive and with care will handle most of what is reasonable. I assume they are available in the US.

Gil Jones
20th September 2006, 01:29 PM
Hello A.W., welcome to an interesting hobby, avocation, or art form. Try to find an AAW sanctioned turning club near you. Attend some meetings, ask questions. If it is like our club, you can learn a bit on the resident lathe.
As it turns out, there is a club near you called Blue Ridge Woodturners. Here is the info, and they will be glad to help you. Call Matt Birchfield
Blue Ridge Woodturners
Area Served: Roanoke & New River Valley
Meeting City: New Castle
Meeting State: VA
Meeting Place: Craig County High School
Meeting Date: Monthly on fourthThursday
Number of Members: 82
Matt Birchfield
755 W. Main Street
Christiansburg, VA 24073
540-381-9794
[email protected]

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2006, 03:34 PM
The only tool that i've really got the hang of useing would be the roughing gouge, dont know why but sometimes one end of my wood ends up bigger then the other end, not sure how thats happening but I think it might have to do with not properly sharpening the tools, tried to sharpen them on a regular bench grinder, big no no, but i got most of them back in shape in the vise with a file.

Regular bench grinder, yes... regular wheel on the grinder, no! Chase up an Aluminium Oxide wheel; they're the white, fine grit ones. Then practice, practice, practice.

There's plenty of threads on these forums dicussing sharpening tools, just make sure you read one discussing wood-turning tools and not chisels/plane irons. What's appropriate for one raises eyebrows in t'other. :rolleyes:

Caveman
21st September 2006, 12:37 AM
Hey AWilliams - as the others said - welcome.
Using the search function for the forums is a great tool for digging up info. Most topics have been covered to some depth - make sure you have plenty time on your hands when searching - real easy to get sidetracked with other great info other than the topic of your search.

Gil Jones
21st September 2006, 12:51 AM
A.W., One Way has free videos on tool grinding, etc,
that you can download (or order) at this address >>
http://www.oneway.on.ca/multi-media/index.htm