PDA

View Full Version : what grit of paper to use ?

mrblue
20th September 2006, 03:30 AM
I am building a saddle stand out of pine and wonder what grit paper i should sand it to... I will stain it.. probably a darker type color of stain.
Is it just a prefrence for how smooth it will be or does it completely affect how the stain will take....... thanks a bunch Don

MurrayD99
20th September 2006, 07:38 AM
I made a saddle stand out of native rimu (we call it red pine) and finished it with a couple of coats of polyeurathane. I would have sanded it no finer than 100 grit using a 4" belt sander, then sanded between coats with something much finer - 240 maybe. Nowadays I am a bit more particular and I might have done a finishing sand with a 180 grit pad on a random orbital sander. My purpose is to get rid of any marks from the thicknesser and take off the sharp edges. Plently of people here will give advice if you are looking for a real fine, polished surface. I don't think it is governed by stain take-up. Unusual item; we'll appreciate a picture, I'm sure. Regards

Tex B
20th September 2006, 08:18 AM
If it's a saddle stand that will be used regularly, with saddles going on and off, I wouldn't go higher than about 180. If the saw marks are deep, start with 80, then maybe 120, then 180. If the saw/tool marks are very light, you could probably go straight to 180. Won't affect the ability of pine to suck up stain.

If you're making an ornamental piece for indoors, I'd go up to 400 or so, stain, then your chosen finish with some finer sandpaper or 0000 steel wool between coats.

One suggestion. When staining pine, the stain is often absorbed unevenly. Makes the darker lines in the timber much darker after staining and highlights that grain. If you don't want that, put a coat of sanding sealer on first, then stain. Just follow the directions on the cans and you'll be OK. Try it both ways on some scrap and you'll see what I mean.

Regards,

Tex (who looks like he's been rode hard and put up wet)

Harry72
20th September 2006, 02:37 PM
180 by hand is fine for dark stains, dont go 180 by orbital otherwise you will have orbital marks in it.
To me the unevenness when staining crapiarta comes from uneven sanding, grain filling and leaving sanding dust in the grain(filling). Also our pine(radiarta) isnt the best with spirit based stains, oil stains will give an unexperienced person a much better chance of a even colour.
This may be different to the pine you use in Texas.

mrblue
20th September 2006, 11:21 PM
thanks for the info, It is a stand used for making saddles and the top will be covered with canvas.. it is basic in design . except for the draw down bar.
. It is for a friend of mine.. i did make one as a trial run for practice. The wood i used on it was old and weathered. It was all the same stain but just didnt seem to all come out the same color. then again it wasnt new wood... This is the first piece i have stained.. so its all a learning to me..

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/dgaskamp/000034.jpg

I gave this stand to someone else as it was a practice.

MurrayD99
21st September 2006, 07:47 AM
Fine stand MrBlue. Built to last - but, at the risk of stealing your thread, is that mudguts' truck you have it on?

mrblue
23rd September 2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks... dont know no mudguts..lol.

Doughboy
23rd September 2006, 06:46 AM
Real fine looking saddle stand there. I like the addage worth doing worth doing right the first time... I bet it will last for a good many uses.

Well done

Pete

Tex B
23rd September 2006, 06:56 PM
Nice work done.

Cool pickup too.

Tex

MurrayD99
25th September 2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks... dont know no mudguts..lol.

Sorry, it is a long-running thread "can you sell a ute here" which gave us a laugh. Mudguts was the vendor.