PDA

View Full Version : australian flora mirror

mongrell
20th September 2006, 09:53 AM
giday all not much seems to happen on this forum so ill post this mirror i did some time ago . id like to see any new desighns anyone has specially australiana .thanks

Lignum
20th September 2006, 10:07 AM
Great stuff Mong:) Its refreshing to see the Intrasa used in a practical way other than a flat panel that just hangs around. Top job:D

RufflyRustic
20th September 2006, 10:11 AM
I first thought you were showing your dried flower arrangement, then I took a second look (small thumbnail only) and thought "no, it's real flowers and leaves", then I opened the picture and nearly fell off my chair.

That has to be the most gorgeous fine work on a mirror I've Ever Seen!!!!

Any chance of a few details on how you got it from a timber blank to this stunning finish?

Thanks
Wendy

oges
20th September 2006, 10:17 AM
Thats a great looking mirror

Wood Butcher
20th September 2006, 10:52 AM
Very impressive work Mong!!

AlexS
20th September 2006, 02:18 PM
That's one of the nicest intarsia pieces I've ever seen. Can you post some close ups & details of timbers, finish, methods etc. lease.

mongrell
21st September 2006, 10:15 AM
finish is satin estapol in a spraycan frame is blackwood which has been routed along bottom edge to take the flowers which are stuck onto a piece of hmmmm?? the stuff kitchen benchtops are made of cant think of name havin a mental block .woods used are redgum sasafras mana gum needlewood bluegum .the black parts are ancient southern mahogany gumnuts banksia waratah flowers silvertop burl .

keju
21st September 2006, 11:00 PM
That's stunning.... I'm not usually a intarsia person.... like the look and apreciate the work going into it, but like Lignum already said, most is just pretty to look at .... I really love that it's practical and beautiful. On top of all that...... Australian...... did you make the design yourself too?

Juvy

schaf
22nd September 2006, 06:54 AM
Congratulations.A very nice piece.Good to see someone do something original and with a aussie theme.
terry

tashammer
26th September 2006, 09:18 PM
blerdy triffic!

Harry72
27th September 2006, 01:03 AM
Wow thats a nice piece, the mother would absolutely love that(Walking talking Aust native encyclopedia!)

Sculptured Box
27th September 2006, 07:29 PM
Your work is beautiful ~ well done.

Do you have more fine examples of your work to share?

rr-barry
28th September 2006, 08:47 AM
thanks for posting the pix. very inspirational!

rr-barry

Bob H
2nd October 2006, 06:58 AM
very well done!!

keith53
2nd October 2006, 08:15 AM
fVery, very nice. You'd need a double dose of patience to do something like that.

TTIT
10th October 2006, 09:44 AM
I don't normally get past the turning threads so I missed this one. :D Bloody nice work Tom!:) All natives in an aussie theme and practical to boot - doesn't get any better! ;)

(Scored some more of that N.I hibiscus if you'd like a piece (super white). Norfolk Island is sort of Aussie native!?!?)

keju
10th October 2006, 09:53 AM
never saw a piece of hibiscus before?
Sounds good tho.... I like working with light coloured wood... love claret ash, seems harder to come by then other woods tho

Juvy

Gil Jones
12th October 2006, 04:03 AM
Elegant work on that mirror!

jim p
13th October 2006, 11:05 PM
Well done my son

Dust Maker
10th June 2007, 10:30 PM
Well I like it Greenie your way

Dust Maker